Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q90T/Q95T : Purple Ghosting (even with firmware 1460.9)

(Topic created on: 28-09-2020 05:44 AM)
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

Hey everyone...

So I have a question about Inverse Ghosting on my 55Q90T while playing on a PS4 Pro and a PS3 (I don't have a PC or a Xbox to test another hardware).
Since update 1460,9 (and after multiple factory reset) :

• no more inverse ghosting on Game Mode (Game Motion Plus OFF), but the picture quality is not what I expect from that TV (light color banding, very bad local dimming and weird dirty screen effects)
  • inverse ghosting on Game Mode (Game Motion Plus ON), but some of the worse consequences of Game Mode are less evident
  • inverse ghosting present in any other picture mode outside Game Mode (Standard/Movie/Filmmaker), but of course with a lot better picture quality all around.

So, my thing is I'm not strict about response time. Unless I'm playing a competitive online shooter or fighter, I don't really notice the difference. So I would like to enjoy the better picture quality of the picture modes outside Game Mode, but the inverse ghosting (especially in dark games or during night time in open world games) is unbearable.

What is worrying me is that as far as I know most people don't have any inverse ghosting issue after the 1304 patch.
Just to be clear, my "ghosting" looks like a purple silhouette that appears in front of dark objects on light(er) backgrounds when camera panning.

I thought maybe my panel was faulty, but then why would it go away with the patch in Game Mode? Also, the weird thing is that, sometimes, while tinkering with the settings, the ghosting goes away for just a little bit, and then comes back for whatever reason (without me changing anything).

Some games that will immediately show me inverse ghosting :

• Assassin's Creed Odyssey (HDR) : go to a temple by night an camera pan looking at the columns
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (HDR) : by night, look at the trees
  • Ashen : inside a dark cave, look at stone columns
  • Watch_Dogs 2 : by night, look at the trees in a park
  • Dark Souls Remastered : first bonfire in Undead Burg, stand next the bonfire and look at the exit
  • Call of Duty - Infinite Warfare  : asteroids in space missions

Thanks for anyone who can help, I'm at a loss here!

124 REPLIES 124
daparky
Pathfinder
Options

The issue here is that you're letting Samsung win and letting them know this is acceptable when it isn't. I would return the TV for a refund or change the brand. 

My Sony XH95 presents none of your issues and game mode looks far better. It's also £500 cheaper.

0 Likes
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

I agree with you... completely. And in any other circumstances, I'd go for it. But I'm tired. I have spent months with Samsung reps on the phone and WhastApp, and now weeks with my retailer trying to get my tv back. As I said, I have surgery in one week, so my priorities have shifted a bit.

But you're right, Samsung will get away with one more bad set because of me, and I'm mad about it. Who knows, I have a full, everything goes, 2-months guaranty from the 25/11 on, maybe if I feel well enough I'll try again.

By the way, I've asked you in the thread, but how does the XH95 compare with the Q90T in real life?

- Does the lesser brightness matter that much? I mean, the specs shows the Q90T offering almost double the brightness (in HDR), and since my previous set was almost as bight as the XH95, I'm a bit afraid to go back to that level...

- Is the motion handling noticeably better on the XH95? The Q90T present some judder with sudden changing scenes (especially when the scenes are bright), and of course we have the purple ghosting when gaming.

- Has HDMI 2.1 been patched to the XH95? My point of buying a new tv was to be next-gen ready, so it's important to me.

Cheers,

0 Likes
daparky
Pathfinder
Options

Sorry I didn't reply.

- brightness is decent, obviously not as bright but its brighter than a Q80T. Check this: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-q90t-vs-sony-x950h/9810/1777?usage=11114&threshold=0...

I haven't ever said "this isn't bright enough". Also dolby vision makes a slight difference.

- motion is actually better on the XH95, that's what Sony is known for, better motion handling and better colour accuracy. 

- I'm skipping HDMI 2.1 as it's currently in beta stage for TVs this year and next year. All manufacturers are having issues one way or another so ill wait a few years before it matures. I've seen issue after issue with VRR, 4k 120 and HDR on Q90T. It doesn't work very well. Again, not what I expect from a flagship TV.

XH95 won't ever have HDMI 2.1 support, I'm going to play 4k/60 for better visuals and picture quality.

Also let's be honest, Triple A games aren't going to push for 120fps. 60fps is a nice target, better than 30fps.

If Samsung released a statement saying they're looking into these issues and working on fixes then I would have kept but I am not spending that amount of money "hoping" a fix comes along. Ill wait until one does, if it does.

BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

Anyone who updated to the new firmware (1460.1 ... released in the US for sure, getting mixed reports from UK, yet to come to EU)?

Did it fix the purple  ghosting (I don't have much hope but who knows?)

0 Likes
lmpcardoso
Pioneer
Options

Still waiting for the update. I’m in Europe. 

0 Likes
Jamie11
Journeyman
Options

Just had the new update in the UK, I can confirm it has done nothing to fix ghosting. Just got off the phone with samsung and they refuse to acknowledge the problem. It's not in their database as a problem apparently. 

0 Likes
Rauttis
Explorer
Options

Another example of the ghosting on a Q80T, with firmware 1460 that came out this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGr6a4jiZEg

It's just awful. The ghosting is there even with game mode turned off. With game mode off there's slightly less ghosting, but it's still there and very noticeable. I wish I had noticed this sooner when I got the TV (had no 120hz devices to test with at the time), would have sent it directly back to the shop and got something else instead.

0 Likes
lmpcardoso
Pioneer
Options

I have just updated my tv. Ghosting is still present. 
This Friday, Samsung technicians will come into my place to change the motherboard. 
I think it will do nothing about the ghosting issue but who knows... 

0 Likes
Jamie11
Journeyman
Options

Sending mine back tomorrow and getting the Sony X900H! Gave Samsung enough chances to rectify this issue! Utter garbage performance for a flagship TV!

0 Likes
daparky
Pathfinder
Options

I sent mine back for the XH95. Night and day difference, you will love the X900H.

0 Likes