Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q90T/Q95T : Purple Ghosting (even with firmware 1460.9)

(Topic created on: 28-09-2020 05:44 AM)
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

Hey everyone...

So I have a question about Inverse Ghosting on my 55Q90T while playing on a PS4 Pro and a PS3 (I don't have a PC or a Xbox to test another hardware).
Since update 1460,9 (and after multiple factory reset) :

• no more inverse ghosting on Game Mode (Game Motion Plus OFF), but the picture quality is not what I expect from that TV (light color banding, very bad local dimming and weird dirty screen effects)
  • inverse ghosting on Game Mode (Game Motion Plus ON), but some of the worse consequences of Game Mode are less evident
  • inverse ghosting present in any other picture mode outside Game Mode (Standard/Movie/Filmmaker), but of course with a lot better picture quality all around.

So, my thing is I'm not strict about response time. Unless I'm playing a competitive online shooter or fighter, I don't really notice the difference. So I would like to enjoy the better picture quality of the picture modes outside Game Mode, but the inverse ghosting (especially in dark games or during night time in open world games) is unbearable.

What is worrying me is that as far as I know most people don't have any inverse ghosting issue after the 1304 patch.
Just to be clear, my "ghosting" looks like a purple silhouette that appears in front of dark objects on light(er) backgrounds when camera panning.

I thought maybe my panel was faulty, but then why would it go away with the patch in Game Mode? Also, the weird thing is that, sometimes, while tinkering with the settings, the ghosting goes away for just a little bit, and then comes back for whatever reason (without me changing anything).

Some games that will immediately show me inverse ghosting :

• Assassin's Creed Odyssey (HDR) : go to a temple by night an camera pan looking at the columns
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (HDR) : by night, look at the trees
  • Ashen : inside a dark cave, look at stone columns
  • Watch_Dogs 2 : by night, look at the trees in a park
  • Dark Souls Remastered : first bonfire in Undead Burg, stand next the bonfire and look at the exit
  • Call of Duty - Infinite Warfare  : asteroids in space missions

Thanks for anyone who can help, I'm at a loss here!

124 REPLIES 124
Jamie11
Journeyman
Options

Great can't wait to get rid of it and game on the Sony! 👍😁

0 Likes
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

New firmware update (T-NKMDEUC-1460.9 for EU).

First test : Local Dimming in Game mode

Movie Mode HDR (Local Dimming on High) :

LD-movie-high.JPG

Game Mode HDR (Local Dimming on High) :

LD-game-high.JPG

Game Mode HDR (Local Dimming on Low) :

LD-game-low.JPG

Conclusion : No apparent changes from Firmware 1403.1, local dimming is still bad in Game Mode.

Second test : Purple Ghosting in Movie Mode while gaming
Firmware 1460.9 :

BogaMoge_0-1607466263745.gif

And for comparison, this was Firmware 1402.6 (there was no difference on that point between 1402.6 and 1403.1) :

BogaMoge_1-1607466263746.gif

So they definitely did something but :

• the purple ghosting is far from gone
  • when I tried this in AC Origins, which had very bad purple ghosting for me before, it was now transformed in the light green ghosting some users have been documenting on this thread. Needs more checks...

My guess is that they are trying to find a balance between normal and inverse ghosting, but are just getting messier and messier each time... Give us the simple ability to set the pixel response time ourselves dammit, how can it be so hard?!
Conclusion : minor changes, but need more testing to verify if more issues arised than were solved (since really none of them were).

Third test : Scanlines in Game Mode

I'm unable to provide any capture (I've tried, but it never came up ok, using a simple phone will have its limit I guess) but scanlines are still there. Needs a lot more testing to evaluate if they're less noticeable, but since they shouldn't be even just slightly noticeable, it doesn't really matter.

GENERAL CONCLUSION :

No issue (of mine at least) has been resolved with this last update. It is absolutely unacceptable that I (like a growing number of users) experience these issue after 6 months of owning this tv, 5 different firmwares and having the screen and motherboard replaced.

My personal situation makes it hard for me to repack the tv (and then maybe unpack a new one), but I'm really beyond frustrated right now...

lmpcardoso
Pioneer
Options

Today tech come and replaced the motherboard with no results. Purple ghosting still very noticeable. 
Next step is to replace the panel. If even with the panel exchange does not solve the problem, what they will do? New tv? Money back?

0 Likes
Jamie11
Journeyman
Options

Think it's something to do with their gaming algorithm. I've sent mine back and got a Sony x900h, massive difference in smoothness and picture quality. The black levels are so much better than the Samsung in game mode as well. 

0 Likes
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

Frankly, at that point, I would go for a refund. They did change my screen too (as well as the motherboard) and it didn't solve anything. I have no idea how other people have a set without issues, it's just weird.

Samsung does not answer my WhatsApp or Twitter posts anymore. They go back to the standard response every time. Which would show me that :

1-They're aware of the issues and have no idea how to fix them, so they won't acknowledge them

2-They absolutely don't care and are ready to lie to a customer just for not being bothered to take responsability for their products.

Whatever the case is, it is unacceptable.

I am trying right now to force my retailer to exchange my tv for another one (waiting for them to call me back tomorrow). We'll see how it goes. My logic right now is that this set is not one to keep for years (which was my goal). So if it's going to be for 2-3 years max, I could go with an LG CX OLED, risk the burn in this time, and at least get rid of my issues. I hate that I will have to invest more money so soon, as I tend to keep my tv for 5 years or more, but well, it's Samsung's fault for selling us faulty tvs.

0 Likes
lmpcardoso
Pioneer
Options

The technician called me about a minuto ago. Wen he was at my place this Monday, he ask me to send the videos that I filmed and published on YouTube. He said the the videos were sent back to Korea factory and they will analyse them and take a decision. 
I Hope this can help me and all other people with this horrible problem. 
They must start program to replace the faulty panels and assume that these TVs have a lot a problems, not just in gaming mode but also on the other modes. 

You can see the videos here:

https://youtu.be/x0xVdVB2UD0
https://youtu.be/E4EUcDV5x2A
https://youtu.be/FMIFx8_JZ6Y

Thank you guys!

BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

So guys (and especially anyone experiencing ghosting on their set), I managed to get a document from the service company (wasn't that hard, I just had to wait 30 minutes on the phone and then ask for it) with Samsung confirming that everything was "normal" and "within specs" when faced with purple ghosting.

Here is what the document says (redacted for translation from Dutch to English and for preserving my privacy)

To better understand, here is the video I sent them for evidence :BogaMoge_0-1608224560473.gif

Yep, everything "within specs is normal"...

So I guess Samsung is now officially saying that purple ghosting is perfectly part of the Q90T specs, I hope they update their tv's ads to include that.

Oh, and Samsung's reps have no idea what company swapped my tv's motherboard and screen, but it's not the one in the message, as they confirmed having never received a tv with mine's serial number.

Aaaaand my retailer doesn't agree to do any exchange, they want to take back the tv and send it to Samsung again for repair (what good can come from that if Samsung thinks everything's right with these issues).

Frustration is growing...

daparky
Pathfinder
Options

Got my XH95, recorded a couple of videos playing COD upscaled 4k at 120fps. No ghosting or scan lines in sigh, no dimming bug, no dse. This is how it should be done.

https://youtu.be/2fIob3_qMmE

https://youtu.be/sDI_aRypi_A

BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

For everyone with purple ghosting, if you have a tech or a Samsung rep that pretends the problem comes from your source and not the tv, open this video (at that timestamp) on your tv's YouTube app in Movie Mode :

For comparison, here is how it looks on my tv, with all the ghosting you'd want :

0 Likes
El_Sattchmo
Explorer
Options

I have the Q80T 65", and the inverse ghosting is horrible. Latest firmware; tried in and out of game mode, VRR enabled/disabled and 60/ 120hz.

I'm using an Xbox Series X.

Is this fixable with firmware? honestly...

I have had it for about a week and am going to start calling around for a refund.