Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 01-05-2020 09:50 PM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
ChrisThomson
First Poster
Options

Why do you have the sub power cord and/or amazon power cord going to the soundbar? The hdmi's needing to go to the soundbar makes the 1 connect useless... i have my 1connect right next to my soundbar and the hdmi cables are hidden anyways since tv is not mounted.

"Now I have two hdmi's, the subwoofer power cable, Amazon power cable all draped to the soundbar,  looks *****e."

0 Likes
Jimbo095
Apprentice
Options

Sorry, not the subwoofer power cable!

The Soundbar power cable, Firestick power cable, hdmi from sky q, hdmi arc from subwoofer/ocb and ocb cable! TV is wall mounted with soundbar underneath and ocb/sky etc on a stand 4 or 5 feet away. No lip sync issues with sky q now but there is a little with the firestick even though its connected directly to the soundbar?!

0 Likes
Jimbo095
Apprentice
Options

And as for having to use 3 or 4 remotes *****

JImannie
Journeyman
Options

I was

@JImannie wrote:
OK that’s confirmed it. I’m not throwing my money away on a set that requires a
PhD in pressing buttons to work. What I am looking for is a quality set that works. Not a lot to ask?

I was about to buy a qe65q90r when I stumbled across this site which changed my mind, especially as it seems Samsung are not doing anything about it.

i now see the new QE65Q95T is about to be launched, what are the chance of this lip-sync problem has been rectified in these new models?

Jim

0 Likes
me83
Explorer
Options

@JImannie wrote:

I was

@JImannie wrote:
OK that’s confirmed it. I’m not throwing my money away on a set that requires a
PhD in pressing buttons to work. What I am looking for is a quality set that works. Not a lot to ask?

I was about to buy a qe65q90r when I stumbled across this site which changed my mind, especially as it seems Samsung are not doing anything about it.

i now see the new QE65Q95T is about to be launched, what are the chance of this lip-sync problem has been rectified in these new models?

Jim

I'd say slim to none. Considering they don't publicise the inherent fault on the current range, and are happy for units to continue being sold, I wouldn't expect anything different going forward. 

If I were you I would either bypass Samsung for a while or wait before purchasing a new TV. I don't think it's a great time to spend big money on a TV, not least on the Samsung range that all lack the support of HDMI 2.1, eARC etc. 

I've decided to play the long game and wait it out this year and see what 2021 brings to the table. 

0 Likes
slider34z
First Poster
Options

@Jimbo095 wrote:

Yes it does seem that way but surely related to the input going straight into the soundbar as it's never happened before, meaning when hdmi connected to ocb it never did it in 18 months. Well I'm two out of two powering up ok in that when I'm finished watching sky q I hit the standby button on the sky remote then turn off the tv/soundbar.  When powering back on its tv/soundbar first then sky remote home button, probably won't last!!

Raised this issue back in Feb, lots of time consuming pointless calls to Samsung who denied the lip sync problem. Retailer (CURRYS) weren't too bad and I sent the soundbar back thinking it was that. Bought a replacement but obviously realise it's the TV's ocb not fit for purpose. TV is now 14 months old, paid £4k for it so not sure where I'd stand on approaching the CEO office. TV is under 5 year warranty with retailer, I love the picture quality and one cable aspect but clearly it doesn't work. Now I have two hdmi's, the subwoofer power cable, Amazon power cable all draped to the soundbar,  looks *****e.

I have the same problem as you with multiple cables hanging on the wall.  Wish they would fix this darn problem but what i did to make it look better (and almost blend completely) is buy this and then paint it the same color as the wall.  You can hardly tell its there.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-Wiremold-5-ft-1-Channel-Non-Metallic-Raceways-10-Pack-NMW1-10/20...

0 Likes
JImannie
Journeyman
Options
Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately I think you are right.
0 Likes
DerwDerw
Apprentice
Options

What are the realistically are the chances we're going to get an eArc update for the Q90R and that solves the lip sync issues with C9? I'm infuriated by all the audio being before the video on everything on the C9 using this soundbard (and the LG SY10) and getting consistent drop outs on Dolby content too. Any help (or hope!) would be very much appreciated otherwise I'm going to be returning this soundbar!

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

If I understand correctly you have an HW-Q90R soundbar connected to an LG C9 TV (not the Q90R TV that this thread is mostly discussing). But if your problem is that the sound is BEFORE the video that should be possible to rectify by adding audio delay. At least if the video delay is within the total range of audio delay you can add. Your soundbar should have the possibilty to add audio delay.

(The problem with the Q90R TV is that the audio comes out already delayed too much, in certain cases.)

0 Likes
Mdshamilton
Apprentice
Options
Awesome. I plugged in my new Q90T and was dismayed to see a delay in the sound. Following your menu settings I discovered that there are “basic” “slow 1” and “slow 2” settings for the HDMI socket. This appears to have slowed the video signal coming into the TV from the BT TV box so that the sound matches the video. Thanks for posting
0 Likes