Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It is time for Dolby Vision!

(Topic created on: 22-04-2020 10:42 AM)
MMIX
Helping Hand
Options

Dear Samsung,

your HDR10+ alliance is breaking further apart and is at an end. 20th Century is giving up HDR10+, Disney is not interested either and is fully committed to Dolby Vision. Panasonic, co-founder of HDR10+, has also been open to the opening of Dolby Vision for some time now (with good reason).

In short, Dolby Vision is the clear winner! Why does Samsung refuse to open Dolby Vision? HDR10+ is at the end, as you can already see:

Netflix: No interest in HDR10+
Apple TV: Not interested in HDR10+
Disney: No interest in HDR10+
Prime Video: HDR10+ available, BUT 99% only HDR10 without dynamic metadata, Dolby Vision with full metadata available!

Ultra HD BluRays: Hardly any HDR10+ content, but extremely much Dolby Vision content. Soon there will be no more 4k BluRays anyway. Then everything will run via streaming.

In the end it is not comprehensible why Samsung is sticking with HDR10+. It's over. Dolby Vision is the clear winner, especially since Dolby Vision IQ has already been developed further.

If Samsung wants to attract new customers and retain old ones in the future, Dolby Vision must be introduced. What could Samsung not have for horny TVs, Q90r, Q85r, Q95T, Q90T etc. with Dolby Vision (and HDR10+). The perfect equipment for 4k content. If you continue to shut yourself off against it, I honestly see black.

I hope that when Dolby Vision is introduced, we old users with 2019/2018 QLEDs will also be considered. This is unfortunately not always the case with you Samsung.    

In this sense, it is high time for Dolby Vision on Samsung TVs. HDR10+ has (clearly) lost.    

(But probably Samsung is not interested in the opinion of its community and is probably too ambitious as HDR10+ developer to admit defeat)

111 REPLIES 111
Zazadj81
Journeyman
Options

i have already tested this, on some movies when i press down to bring out the description of the movie this is displayed in the middle the black bar covers the apple menu, this happens direct to the tv or soundbar. this does not happen in Logan, dead pool, predator Jurassic P, but harry potter avengers Spider-Man if viewed in hdr they have problems, even when you view the time bar of the movie this starts to shoot, I will post a video as soon as I can. I also repeat from the TV on the Apple TV application a lot of titles are not played in HDR. give it a try to watch Spider-Man on the TV application you will not see it in hdr

0 Likes
Peto Pedro
Journeyman
Options

You are naive little kid who doesn't understand politics in business ! 

Your pathetic fake dolby vision which is not even real and it is copy of HDR  is not any winner !  

It is only because to promote Dolby company so money will be pouring into them because it is hommie company .. SO of course they will be supporting usa company instead of  Korean !  But u little boy u have no idea that this is only to make licences to pay Dolby .. and Samsung is not stupid and show middle finger to Dolby poor company...   

If I would lie to you and show you image in HDR and I would be lying to you it is  ''some dolby vision you would believe because u only looking for  the title on your  childish xbox 

You wasting your time crying here to samsung it doesn't have fake DV ... 

If u not happy go buy different TV..  

You are naive individual who has such non important problem but crying over  DV.. like you can't watch sht without DV which is even boring  anyway .. 

Netflix: loosing - boring  banned password sharing  lost 50 billion ! 
Apple TV: what is this ***** ???? 
Disney: loosing only scandals getting revealed !

Watch this  : https://youtu.be/-8czrfBaoJI

0 Likes
Peto Pedro
Journeyman
Options

they are naive little boys because they don't see pathetic DV tile support on Tv .. They are brainwashed ..

I have Q85T  peak brightnes 1500 but I have now set brightness to 5 or 0 ... unfortunately becsue  electricity gone crazy and todays TV's are power hungry 

0 Likes
Pydr
Student
Options

I totally agree.
I have bought perfect Samsung soundbar and I was looking to enjoy q-symphony connection with a new TV.
But an absence of DOLBY VISION in Samsung TV´s changed my plans.
It is so pitty.
But HDR+ is nearly dear format.

Dolby vision is only future.

0 Likes
Rans
First Poster
Options

I was considering Samsung Frame & i stopped myself from purchasing it, just because it doesn't support Dolby Vision. What a shame? Such a Good packed Television & Doesn't support Dolby Vision. Samsung really needs to add this to the old & new televisions, Only then they can takeover the market.. OLED Television are far better then QLED. Lets Hope they hear us.

0 Likes
getaceres
Apprentice
Options

I agree. The reluctance of Samsung to implement Dolby Vision is stupid. Like it or not, HDR10+ has lost the battle. It doesn't matter if it's cheaper or technically more advanced, there isn't enough content in HDR10+ as ALL major streaming platforms have  decided to go with Dolby Vision. Even Amazon Prime, the last of the big platforms have started to offer Dolby Vision content with The Rings of Power. This is nonsense on Samsung side and I hope future reviews of their products start to lose points due to their lack of Dolby Vision support. Maybe that's the only way to get Samsung to react.

I was considering changing my Q80T to OLED due to the distracting blooming I get with subtitles and I saw some good deals with the S95B. I recently bought a Samsung soundbar and I'd like to use Q-Symphony with it. The S95B is a really good TV but buying it means I won't be able to enjoy the full quality of most of the shows I watch. While I would be able to do it with Sony, LG, Philips, Hisense, etc. So I might lose Q-Symphony or Dolby Vision and I'm more inclined to lose the first than the latter. From the big brands, Samsung seems to be the only one not supporting the most widely available HDR format in the world.

0 Likes
Peto Pedro
Journeyman
Options

You are another deluded person when it comes to fake "dolby vision" you don't know what is business and you have no idea about why all this is about ... All these subscriptions amerikans sht on tv on purpose support fake dolby vision because it is only about money ... There is nothing different about it .like you mentioned amazon's or Netflix etc ..they contribute pay pointless money licence to use DV instead HDR. But they will get money back so they will charge you so they will get money back from naive like you .You don't understand who developed HDR ..and Dolby just copied HDR and named id DV.. 🤷♂️s like  little boys and others here like you crying over DV is like you asking Android phone have iOS on smartphones or vice versa ..LG  or others tv brands didn't create HDR .. 

Go learn how business works and think why Samsung don't do it

I have already explained this dozens of times 

0 Likes
getaceres
Apprentice
Options

Do you even know what you're talking about?

Dolby Vision was announced in 2014 while HDR10, the most widely used format was announced in 2015. HDR10+, the format that competes directly with Dolby Vision, was announced in 2017. So a little bit difficult for Dolby to copy formats that did not exist at the moment that they released theirs.

Now you compare supporting DV like asking for iOS over Android when the comparison doesn't make sense at all. DV and HDR10+ are standards, more akin to codecs than to operating systems. A more fair comparison would be if all phones supported MPEG4 (akin to HDR10) while Android only supported H264 and iOS supported H265. Now, for whatever reason, most of the streaming services and web pages have decided to go with MPEG4 as a base, because it's widely used, but H265 for the devices that supported it to give them more quality, ignoring H264 in the process. This is what's happening right now. Samsung users get plain old HDR10 without metadata while almost every other brand users get DV with metadata. Is it a big difference? Surely not, but there's a difference nonetheless. And there is no assurance that they will support HDR10 in the future if, for whatever reason, Samsung falls out of grace and becomes a smaller player.

Does Samsung get a bigger profit margin by not paying Dolby Labs for the DV codec? Yes, sure. But they are playing a lost battle by trying to stick to HDR10+ unless they, somehow, convinced all streaming services and movie producers to release their content in HDR10+ and DV at the same time, and nowadays that's not the case and it doesn't seem to be happening in the near future.

So, while Samsung is big enough to ignore the market, probably they are going to stick to HDR10+ and get some small profit in every TV for not paying the DV license but I do hope that this plays against them at some point and they are forced to include DV in their TVs. They already pay licenses for many other formats and it would be just one more license that most other brands are paying already.

0 Likes
Peto Pedro
Journeyman
Options

I think u don't know what u talking about 

I think u missing info who invented HDR ! And especially HDR10+ !

Search on internet or I will give you help here :  : https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/tv-buying-guide/what-is-hdr-tv/#:~:text=Samsung%20pioneered%20HDR10%2....

And here : https://displayhdr.org/

It is funny how people are fine with their monitors all in the world with HDR  where NONE monitor is DV based and all is completely fine...  BUt when Samsung TV doesn't have it suddenly it is problem...

Samsug colaborating with Vesa where they cover all monitors in the world with HDR10 or 10+ support !   

YOu did not realised that LG or other TVs which has DV are more expensive ONLY becsue imaginary DV is PAID while HDR10+ is completely FREE !!! 

It doesn't matter who or what was first ... It is about that new HDR10+ and upcoming even newer is basicaly exactly same as DV and no need some metadata ...

I gave you example like put something onto Android which is iOS based (officaly) Or put into TV DTS company sound instead or THX instead of  tacky Dolby which wants to be monopoly .. Again you don't understand business and how much effort and money Dolby pouring into DV .. Same like scrApple forced billions of people into thier products just becsue they look pretty. have now Latest Oppo Reno8 Pro 5G and it has HDR10+ screen 120Hz and it looks amazing no need fake DV... 

You simpoly going by deep specifics and judging when HDR doesn't have what DV has.

Samsung is NOT ignoring anybody  just becsue they don't add DV into their products.. It is their buiness and ONLY theirs... Other low quality or ledd known TV manufs has it becsue it is nothing added into their TV motherboard DV doesn't add any HW chip which makes DV REAL ! It is ONLY software based. Dolby made quickly Dolby Vison to have complete Audio and video setup to make it for peole sooo great... HDR and DV is nothig just colour profile pre-set for user becsue once u enable it you are ot allowed to fine tune manually brightness , contrast, and colours by yourself which is pretty much same ... I would NEVER pay some USA  company for their licenses or contracts or whatever their SHT becsue it is only about money nothing esle ...

LG supports DV so if people wants DV they must pay more as LG will get money back from DV by its custommers ..  Who is willing to do it... 

In regards of Dolby Audio that is completely different story !! That is ONLY REAL thing which they been developing for years along with competitive DTS or THX or IMAX and they have actual REAl HW chips which makes sounds great...

I rather would support DTS . THX became same as Dolby PAID !THey disapointed me ! But still I would preffer.  and IMAX is free as they are mine exceptions 

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hi all, I have edited the post to follow our Community Terms of Service and our Community Guidelines. Your opinions are valued here, but please remember to stay within these guidelines and respect the rest of users.

0 Likes