Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External hard drive for streaming

(Topic created on: 22-04-2020 11:52 AM)
Bronyaur1711
Student
Options

I have just purchased a Samsung 43 Inch UE43RU7100KXXU Smart 4K HDR LED TV and attached a LinkStation external hard drive. At first it was via wifi when it worked and then didn't.

I then attached the external drive to the broadband via a extender physically attached to my broadband router. Next I attached the hard drive directly into the television via the USB port.

On each connection I can see the LinkStation external hard drive, view the contents in the folders but I am unable to play anything. The television says the file formats are unsupported however, they are .avi, .mkv etc... which the troubleshooter tells me are supported.

What am I doing wrong?

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Afternoon @Bronyaur1711 ,

you can find all the information about playing files on your TV from a USB device on this post from our colleagues in Hong Kong.

0 Likes
Bronyaur1711
Student
Options

Thanks TessM

However, I have plugged the external device into the USB port on the television and when I go to sources the USB drive is not visible.

The Linkstation drive is available and when I go thjrough all the selections the files are there. However, they don't play and are in the correct formats i.e. .AVI, .MKV etc...

Can't understand why the USB option is not available as it is plugged in to both the drive and television using the correct USB-a to USB-a cable.

Is there a setting I may have incorrectly selected when setting the television up?

0 Likes