Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

I have Sky+HD, apologies if it wasn't clear from my posts the other day where I was talking about resenting paying an extra £144/year. I inadvertantly started off this tangent, which is offtopic sorry. Then again we're all just treading water waiting for either Samsung to make their statement, a firmware upgrade, or death (which ever comes first).

If I want to, I will edit this post to correct myself, since the forum software provides the facility.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@ne_on wrote:

Not here to cause trouble at all.

just giving my opinion. I agree Sky are on the expensive side for the service they provide. But their platform is unrivalled as of now which is probably why they are able to do so.

Also, correct me I am wrong but I’m pretty sure Sky made it clear that the mini boxes will not be able to show 4K?

Thing is why do Sky insist on you paying for a mini box when you order 4k main 2t box and the mini is just 1080. Does not make sense. Saying that Sky are still only supplying DVD and not Bluray, so should not be surprised!

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@ne_on wrote:

Sorry if this is repititative.

But has Samsung given a final answer on bbc I player not being updated or are we waiting for further info from sky.

Also, what is this supposed announcement we are all waiting for from Samsung. Is it regarding the EDID update. Someone please get me up to date 

It was the moderator @AntS who promised us he would relay a statement to us soon, quite some time ago. Samsung themselves have said nothing publicly since December. A journalist (John Archer) published an article without sources explaining that it would need a full Tizen OS upgrade for DVB-DASH to work which iPlayer 4K needs, and that part does check out.

The EDID fix we expect/hope to get is known about through unofficial contacts.

HTH

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@axpetts wrote:
Thank's paul1111. Not the answer I was hoping for! Looks like the blu ray player does not support HLG iplayer after all then. Seems I will need a Roku in order to get this working. I've already resigned myself to getting a HD Fury for when Sky HLG is released (hopefully very soon). It looks like it will be quite expensive to get my KS8000 showing HLG iplayer and Sky Q HLG - I'm not confident Samsung will do the EDID update required for Sky Q and they've already said no iplayer update. Pretty poor for saying it was an expensive TV and is only 2 years old.

That was why the KS refund thread was started.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

Thing is why do Sky insist on you paying for a mini box when you order 4k main 2t box and the mini is just 1080. Does not make sense. Saying that Sky are still only supplying DVD and not Bluray, so should not be surprised!

Here's me defending Sky - they do now supply Blu-ray. Far more expensive than other sources mind you.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

Here's me defending Sky - they do now supply Blu-ray. Far more expensive than other sources mind you.

Sorry last time I was with sky which was late last year it DVD. And no I do not have sky because they are a "rip off". When they put the broadband up I got for half the price with Vodafone and yes it is proper duel band and I get 80 meg no probs. I had problems with lip sync with sky and was able to cancel my contract and am I happy I did. Freeview is 1080i and 1080p. Netflix 4K HDR for a fraction of the price. Yes Sky has some useful points but at a cost.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

I will make my reply short, too :). Your post is strangely pro-Sky considering we are discussing a hostile business practice that stinks. This is the only reason I am replying, for balance.

@JAMES4578 wrote:

Sky have chosen the route of using the Multiscreen subscription for UHD rather than a seperate charge

"Rather than?! Here you seem to have accepted without question the outrageous idea that there should be some extra charge, and it's just a matter of deciding which one?! That is bonkers and only plays into their hands. You might be happy to pull your trousers down and bend over for Sky, but please don't speak for the rest of who do not!

Any extra charge for 4K and/or HDR cannot be justified, any more than charging for Dolby Digital 5.1 sound cannot ever be justified. Both significantly improve the enjoyment of programmes, they are merely the progression of technology. Sadly, people have shown odd willingness to pay extra for HD over more than a decade - which also cannot be justified in the year 2018 yet they are still doing it for sport (funny that they aren't doing it for Movies, nothing to do with Netflix and Amazon is it? Eh? oh no!). So this means Sky are banking on the fact that enough of their genuflecting customerbase, those who think that Sky are actually innovating instead of following other providers, will just cough up the money.

@JAMES4578 wrote:

suits larger households who had it already but not so convenient for others.  Whilst no choice but to take Multiscreen for UHD you are not forced to take a Mini as such  (charge also covers Tablets)

Suits some, but "not so convenient" for others? Oddly pro-sky way of putting it. No, it means Sky are openly stating to those customers, in a very hostile way, that they do not want their custom. That's not "inconvenient", it's telling potential customers to f**k off.

We should realise there are always different opinions, take the point but I won't be as blunt in reply. even if there was a bit of humour :smiling-face:  Really  I was not claiming to be speaking for anyone else  and am not particularly pro Sky though have been a customer for long time with no Cable alternative.  I was basically  stating the reality of the current situation , whether we like it or not Sky are focusing on a particular business model for their premium product.  For the record I thought Skyq was too expensive not so long ago and negotaited a better deal for a new contract, I for one hope there would be no extra charges for HDR but take desireable  products/services if I can justify it.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@JAMES4578 wrote:

Got a feeling that several  recent posts should be in the Skq forum rather than here, however folk have just carried on. 

Sorry... 'folk'?

As I'm sure you're aware, iPlayer is integrated into the SkyQ OS, and the question of 4k support through that channel is very relevant to this thread.

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

@JAMES4578 wrote:

Got a feeling that several  recent posts should be in the Skq forum rather than here, however folk have just carried on. 

Sorry... 'folk'?

As I'm sure you're aware, iPlayer is integrated into the SkyQ OS, and the question of 4k support through that channel is very relevant to this thread.

Posters,members, customers   etc.

Should really have said Skyq thread-as you are likely aware there is one on SkyQ HDR    https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/KS-OWNERS-ONLY-Sky-to-introduce-HDR-content-on-Sk...     It may be related but the Moderators decided this thread should be focused on the  Samsung Iplayer and the posts I'm referering to were more generally about Skyq and The Miniboxes.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes