Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Dark scenes so dark they're unwatchable in HDR mode on UE43TU7000KXXU

(Topic created on: 03-12-2020 01:37 AM)
scchipli
Explorer
Options

It is worst on the in-built Disney+ app (the Star Wars movies + The Mandalorian scenes are so dark you almost cannot see anything, as well as Marvel's Black Panther!). It is also noticable on Amazon Prime for shows such as Hunters in 4K mode. When you select the non-4K version of Hunters the picture is lovely and bright!. Also occurs on the Apple TV app, again very dark for 4K HDR films but lovely and bright for the ones only available in HD. Luckily my Netflix subscription is only HD so that picture is not affected and is great. All these issues are with the in-built apps as I bought this TV so I wouldn't require an external streaming box.

In the absence of it actually working correctly, is there a simple menu option to disable HDR?

47 REPLIES 47
Macc2020
Apprentice
Options

I am also having issues with watching things in UHD/HDR as when i use the BT Sport App that is installed on TV watching the football in UHD is really dark and i have had almost all the settings on full and nothing has worked.

The software version is 1371 and to be honest i have had all sorts of issues with the Sammy i sometimes wished i did not get it.

the version 1371 is that the most up to date version?

0 Likes
theo_janissen
First Poster
Options

I found a workaround for Netflix on my Samsung Frame TV 2020, where I faced the exact same HDR problem. Go to https://www.netflix.com/HdToggle  and set the image quality setting to Normal. Next, reboot your TV and the image looks OK, although it is now not HDR anymore.

0 Likes
Oppressa
First Poster
Options

I battled with this for months, finally spent a session yesterday trying to fix it.  Tried resetting the TV and a myriad of other things.

I have a Home Theatre PC connected.  In the Properties of the display adapter I changed the refresh rate to 29 Hz.  All of a sudden, I could see darker scenes clearly.

0 Likes
Oppressa
First Poster
Options

I battled with this for months, but finally spent a session yesterday trying to fix it.  Tried resetting the TV and a myriad of other things.

I have a Home Theatre PC connected.  In the Properties of the display adapter I changed the refresh rate to 29 Hz.  All of a sudden, I could see darker scenes clearly.

0 Likes
beng94
Student
Options

I have a different model of TV the 55NU7400, but I get the exact same issues. Spent about 3-4 hours on live chat with samsung, tried the usual reset picture settings, modified settings (their settings are always so bland) The only way Ive found a way to fix it without stopping watching HDR content all together, is switching Contrast enhancer on High, problem is some stuff displays with too much contrast but works great with say the Mandalorian.

If we could just switch off HDR all together then this would fix our issues. 

klumper
Journeyman
Options

Turning off HDR is a solution and I can achieve that using an external Roku. What am I missing out on but losing HDR processing? Would I have noticed a difference?

0 Likes
JCarroll
First Poster
Options

Can you give any guidance on how to update firmware?  I searched through the menu on my tv and couldn't find anything indicating I can update.  I have a Q70T

0 Likes
TR6Canuck
First Poster
Options

I have issue using the Samsung Amazon Prime app.  Sound okay, but video is black.  I have to go through cable provider tv remote to watch Amazon Prime.

0 Likes
Kondor22
Journeyman
Options

I have same issue 😞 its unacceptable.... netflix 4k is dark...

Somebody can help me? How can i fix it? 
Thanks

samsung Q70 firmwire 1374

Kondor22
Journeyman
Options

Any solution?

0 Likes