Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Dark scenes so dark they're unwatchable in HDR mode on UE43TU7000KXXU

(Topic created on: 07-06-2020 04:54 PM)
scchipli
Explorer
Options

It is worst on the in-built Disney+ app (the Star Wars movies + The Mandalorian scenes are so dark you almost cannot see anything, as well as Marvel's Black Panther!). It is also noticable on Amazon Prime for shows such as Hunters in 4K mode. When you select the non-4K version of Hunters the picture is lovely and bright!. Also occurs on the Apple TV app, again very dark for 4K HDR films but lovely and bright for the ones only available in HD. Luckily my Netflix subscription is only HD so that picture is not affected and is great. All these issues are with the in-built apps as I bought this TV so I wouldn't require an external streaming box.

In the absence of it actually working correctly, is there a simple menu option to disable HDR?

Go to solution
47 REPLIES 47
Luke29
Apprentice
Options

No. Samsung will just continue to ignore us because they know it cannot be fixed and won’t admit their TV is complete rubbish. Basically, they will just continue this way because they know you will either live with it because you don’t want to fork out hundreds of pounds or that you just get so fed up you buy another TV. 

Kondor22
Journeyman
Options

i will not buy samsung tv again 😞

Luke29
Apprentice
Options

Let me know when you find a decent one

0 Likes
klumper
Journeyman
Options

An external box where you can turn off HDR is a cheaper solution than a new TV. I wouldn’t buy Samsung or Sony again given similar problems. Which next?

Rasmus1
First Poster
Options

Here is how to solve it (Not sure if the names of the menus etc is correct, as I translated them manually):

1. Start watching something which has HDR enabled as the settings won't be available without it.

2. Go to picture settings

3. Go to expert settings

4. Go down to gamma and choose ST.2084

5. Change the two settings (first one you can choose up to 3, and the second one goes up to 5) under where you just chose ST.2084 until it is light enough for you.

0 Likes
Ab56
First Poster
Options

I have the exact same issue with Amazon prime or Netflix built in app and playing on my new qled 75” 4K tv with HDR… the dark scenes are so dark cannot see anything it’s unwatchable in reality… I think with HDR we’ve gone backwards and TV quality is worse than my 10 year old Samsung 60 HD led tv…

To top it off Samsung didn’t provide any settings to adjust backlight, turn off hdr or even adjust brightness etc on the tv…. 

gfcaetano
Student
Options

Same issue happens here with my RU7100 TV.

I even adjusted some P.W.M. settings in the service menu, but it's still too dark when it's "HDR10+".

0 Likes
Kondor22
Journeyman
Options

Samsung? 
it is customer servive is unacceptable! We need some solution! Update or anytihing…

ChrisDUK
First Poster
Options

I have this issue too with ue65tu7020kxxu

latest firmware installed, downloaded it to usb too and same version. 

0 Likes
DarrenAF
Journeyman
Options

I'm still having exactly the same on my UE43TU7000KXXU for nearly two years. BBC iPlayes, Netflix and Amazon Prime all show the same issue, and UHD program has poor picture contrast and darker scenes are virtually unwatchable. HD programs on the same apps are all great. I'm on software version 2101 but it's still so glitchy. Also HUB is now really unresponsive when first turned on and the TV still switches itself on if mobile power on is left enabled. I have used many other Samsung TVs and this is by far the worse of them all!

0 Likes