Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get teletext on new UHD TV

(Topic created on: 12-04-2021 05:22 PM)
StPauli
Explorer
Options

Hi everyone,

New to this forum and hope someone can give me a bit of help.

I have setup my new 65" UHD TV and after checking everything was correct in settings etc I have found that I cannot access the teletext service when pressing the TTX/MIX key on the remote, a box opens stating "Not Available", as I used the teletext service quite a lot on my last TV (Sony Bravia UHD) I find this a big loss, the red button does not access the service Im looking for either.

Any help getting teletext to work would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Stephan.

56 REPLIES 56
dazmeister23a
First Poster
Options
ive just spent 600 quid on a new samsung smart tv and to my horror the teletext service just comes up as not available.ive always used teletext quite regularly and am absolutely fuming because the panasonic i had before had teletext.🤬🤬🤬
0 Likes
Backofthenet
Journeyman
Options

I have a similar situation - brand new samsung TV but TTX doesnt work - however i did my research before purchase and it clearly says on the samsung website TTX - YES - so i have raised a case and to be frank i either want it working or a full refund / TV where TTX does work . TTX was a major criteria with the purchase and my previous two samsungs work fine with TTX - I feel they are misleading people by saying TTX works.

suke
Journeyman
Options

Let us know how you get on.  Since my previous post the BBC has reversed its decision to end the red button text service.  I guess its now down to both Samsung and LG to allow this service to be received

0 Likes
Backofthenet
Journeyman
Options

Had a conversation with Samsung today and they finally admitted that they no longer support the TTX function BUT owned up to the misleading information/specs on the website.  This was a three way call with retailer i purchased off also on the call. In fairness the retailer said OK it doesn't do what it says on the tin so you can have a full refund or a replacement product that meets the spec. So i have identified a TOSHIBA with same spec that also specifies that TTX works. Retailer has promised they will not ship until they confirm directly with TOSHIBA that TTX function will work - if not i can have a refund. 

I am actually annoyed as the manufacturer's are misleading people saying that the functionality still works on their latest models. OK so some see it as not a big thing but if the BBC reversed the decision then if manufacturers say it works on their sets then it should.

suke
Journeyman
Options

After i read your email i fired another email back to LG and i am now waiting a reply.  My guess is that because the BBC had let it be known they were going to stop the service all the manufacturers decided not to support the TTX function.  Its a great shame because as i said im my first post its the first thing i do in a morning.  Progress!  not so sure on that.  Wonder if its worth taking up with the ombudsman?

0 Likes
Backofthenet
Journeyman
Options

Well I have a result. Toshiba have confirmed that the model TV I have requested (same spec as Samsung all round and £100 cheaper) does work with text - and I have reasonable confidence as they are aware BBC  back tracked from withdrawing the TTX service - i didn't have to tell them!!.  Like you I regularly look at text - it's quick, very simple and informative. Personally I think that the manufacturers web sites are misleading / incorrect and they should not state if the model specified supports a service that is still widely available if indeed the TV doesn't - that's miss-selling in my view.   So yes their is a case with the ombudsman.    

suke
Journeyman
Options

Just received a reply from LG

Thank you for your email.

We can confirm that we have now received the response from our Upper management.

They have informed us that the BBC no longer provide the basic red button text service. In order to use the service now the customer will need to be connected to the internet and have the HBBTV option switched on in the menus. They can do this by going to Settings > Connections > HBBTV

We hope this answers your query.

Should you need to contact us please call our Customer Support Team on 0344 8475454 and quote reference number CNU210203771623.

It seems to me that both LG and Samsung have no interest in allowing the TTX function on their sets.  Not sure how to continue with the arguments for the TTX service.  I have sent a statement that the BBC released a bit back confirming their commitment to the TTX service and have asked LG to comment on this.  Maybe we all need to keep contacting LG/Samsung until we get a proper reply

0 Likes
Backofthenet
Journeyman
Options

TOSHIBA I have working fine with BBC TXT service and it's functionality as a TV set compares with the Samsung I returned. 

To me Samsung / LG won't actively mention this function not working as they fear it will affect sales - albeit by a very small amount. They are relying on people purchasing the TV and those that use TXT like we do will go through the change process over to the red button. My view is that BBC won't dump TXT for some time - if at all - based on the uproar when BBC originally announced the decision.

The bad thing is they still say the TV spec works with TXT and they should at least update the published specs.

0 Likes
DuggleBB
Explorer
Options

Seems Samsung are just going down hill. I regret buying my Samsung, as you say , no Text button, but my main LG and the Hitachi I (regretfully now) scrapped did show text, the BBC have admitted there are NO plans to scrap the Text services, MUCH BETTER than the 'red button' internet text provision.

Add to that the lack of headphone connectivity, intermittent WiFi Connection due to the set losing the router, a HDMI ARC port that isn't, and I feel the Samsung I brought was the biggest waste of money I've ever made, I'd rate it below BUSH as they do have Text, Do have headphone support and WOULD HAVE BEEN MUCH CHEAPER.

If Samsung would like to have my set back and offer a full refund I'd be more than happy (Very Unlikely), Argos won't refund as Samsung won't adit there's anything wrong with the set.

I'd NEVER AGAIN recommend Samsung TVs to anyone .

suke
Journeyman
Options

I had some further coversation with LG where i challenged the fact that the Text button was still up and running on my older samsung tv but i am afraid its like talking to a brick wall.  The next time i have to purchase a tv i will make sure that whatever make it is that they show me whether the text button will work or not.

I hate the red button service as its to long winded for me and would dearly love to see the text button working on my LG but i fear its never going to happen now