Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

BBC Iplayer crashes while playing UHD videos

(Topic created on: 16-07-2023 04:14 PM)
Members_ZyKhgTT
Journeyman
Options

Model- QE75QN85BATXXU. 

While playing HD videos BBC Iplayer app works fine but it keeps crashing while playing UHD videos.

Highly appreciate any help.

Thanks

0 Likes

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Have you tried remove player and adding back? Or spoken to BBC I player support maybe a known bug

View solution in context

Solution
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I think you're right. According to the Beeb your TV model is certified for iPlayer. I also read that where the Internet speed is low that it should revert to HD and not crash. It could be the app itself, the app has become corrupt or the TV.

First thing I would try is to delete and reinstall iPlayer with a power off for 1 minute in between.

I couldn't find recent reports of issues with the app.
If no joy, I would contact Samsung technical support via the members app.

View solution in context

12 REPLIES 12
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
When you say crash what do you mean? From experience what is considered a crash is different for different people
0 Likes
Members_ZyKhgTT
Journeyman
Options

When a UHD program is selected, it runs for a few mins (varying from 1 min to several mins) and then the screen simply returns to TV home screen. Again have to open Iplayer, select profile and then the programme. 

0 Likes
Solution
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Have you tried remove player and adding back? Or spoken to BBC I player support maybe a known bug

Members_ZyKhgTT
Journeyman
Options

I found BBC Iplayer is generally problematic on some Samsung TVs (https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/issues/connected-tv/crashing-samsung-tv). Though a separate issue but could be a problem with Samsung TVs.

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
IPlayer needs a connection of at least 25 Mbps for UHD. How fast is your connection?
0 Likes
UNKNOWNUSERNAME
Big Cheese
Options
Could be your connection with your router is low as mentioned below, atleast 25-30mbps or higher is required for UHD videos.
0 Likes
Members_ZyKhgTT
Journeyman
Options

I get 500 fibre to the home. But the TV is wired into the second eero which is wirelessly connected to the main router.  Just checked the TV gets around 80 Mbps. So I think that should be enough. 

(going to check why it is that low... in fact going to run a cable from the main router to the TV to rule it out)

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
The speed is certainly fast enough and as you say connecting to the router is a good idea. Perhaps the WiFi speed fluctuates? Maybe worth trying a different channel.
Members_ZyKhgTT
Journeyman
Options

Wired connection from main router (500Mbps) to TV --->TV shows around ~80Mbps (through which.co.uk speed test and speedtest by Ookla)

Played a UHD programme on Iplayer and it crashed after a few mins. So not the speed nor the WiFi to fault here I think.

(Posted in a new thread why the TV shows 80Mbps when wired connected to the main router)

0 Likes