Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-12-2018 10:34 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
teeveestuff
Pioneer
Options

@monk2 wrote:

Thanks to the above posts for your views on a solution.

I can assure you this remedy has been tried by many over the last year . Unfortunately it is only a temporary fix , the memory fills up again in a short time. My own set was  reset by an engineer Samsung sent out, then the set was taken away and a new board fitted. None of these worked for long. 

How long did it take to fill back up @monk2 ? The reset is still working for me, more than a week after doing it. All pre-installed apps are fully updated, auto update is on, no error messages and still have 26% free space.  This is on Firmware 1310. 

0 Likes
tinears
Apprentice
Options

Made a note of all my settings and tried this last night on my NU7120 but unfortunately it didn't work for me. Step 1 didn't appear to do anything no matter how long I pressed the button. Step 3 appeared to work fine but everything was exactly as before after restart.

Tried resetting the Smart Hub, but that only took me from 50mb free space to 90mb. Ended up following a YouTube guide to delete preinstalled apps in dev mode, but had to perform a factory reset before the delete button would become active and stop being greyed out.

This worked, I managed to get rid of the E-manual and several subscription apps I'm never going to use, leaving me with 250mb free space. However, within an hour the useless apps were back and I was back down to 220mb. Today that number has dropped to 203mb but everything has successfully updated to the latest version, the E-manual hasn't came back and I'm no longer getting any warnings about free space.

No doubt I'll have to do this all over again in several months time, which is absurd. I should be able to decide which apps I want on my TV, especially when these forced apps literally stop things functioning as intended. This is the second Samsung television I've owned, it will also be my last. Alienating your customers just to profit from the likes of TikTok and Apple is probably not a good long term business plan.

monk2
Pathfinder
Options

The Samsung engineer came out tried the reset solution which he was unable to complete.

He then took the set away saying he would change the board. I was without my set for one month.

When the set came back they had turned the update function off i altered this straight away. All the same unwanted Apps returned, within a short time i had very little memory left.

As i said previously i am outside of UK, customer service is poor the retailer was unhelpful.

At this point i contacted my UK credit card explained the situation giving them  this and other website links.

I requested a refund under section 75 of the credit card act, they were great less than 2 weeks after talking to someone i was refunded in full.

akthus
First Poster
Options

I am having memory issues as well. From day 1 . I have had the TV for 2 years now. Tried the firmware update and adding an external usb but still running out of memory. Doesn't even acknowledge that there is any external memory available only looks at its factory given internal memory.

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

For me and countless others the Ex. USB and resetting the TV along with changing the board didn't work . Although a few posts on here say it has for them. 

It was dreamed up by Samsung as a process of slowing down complaints.

Please read from about page 135, you will gain  knowledge and the experiences of others with this problem.

I had a full refund for my set from my credit card, making a section 75 claim when the TV was just 12 months old. Try another manufacturer when replacing your set.

0 Likes
Sdesso
Student
Options

We are having this same issue with our TV. Purchased at Costco, thinking they will be more willing to take it back. Unfortunately, Samsung has changed their whole business model and customer service is not a priority at all. After problems with a washer/dryer, refrigerator and now TV - we will never buy anything Samsung again. Where I live, you can't even get a repairman to service a Samsung.

mazzinia
Navigator
Options

Well,

my set fenced on the side of keeping 115mb empty, but developed 2 other issues in a row.

First, the panel developed darker areas, horizontal moving ( like a brush put color ) visible on dark backgrounds.

Some days later, the board died ( in retrospective the fact that it was randomly hard to turn on with the IR prob was an intro to the issue ).

Due to the holiday I could bring it to service ( to the chain I bought it from ) only the 7th, and likely will not see it again for 30 or more days... crossing fingers that both issues will be fixed, but at this point there's not a lot left of that unit...

On that occasion I found out that the closest service center is too far from me, especially with a pandemic ... moreover even if I know that a 40" is not home serviced anymore, in this current situation everything should be handled remotely and not forcing people to move under lockdowns.

More than 30 days without the tv, with the warranty still running ...

If I knew that Samsung had so poor of a geographical support coverage, I doubt I would have purchased it to begin with.

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

I remember first buying Samsung products at least 15 years ago in the UK. Yes they have certainly become one of the biggest players since then, but sadly customer service seems to have gone in the other direction.

Please let us know the outcome of your talks with Costco, don't bother talking to Samsung you will disappointed..

0 Likes
Rob22304
Apprentice
Options

I installed 30GB of memory on a USB stick last week.  When I load new apps and the memory is full, I get the option to install the apps on the memory stick.  The apps run seamlessly whether or not they are in memory or on the stick.  There is a little icon in the corner of the app icon indicating that it’s on the stick vs being in memory.

My TV is a 2017 with the latest firmware.  I didn’t do anything special with the setup other than formatting the stick with FAT, installing the stick, and restarting the TV.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Rob22304 wrote:

I installed 30GB of memory on a USB stick last week.  When I load new apps and the memory is full, I get the option to install the apps on the memory stick.  The apps run seamlessly whether or not they are in memory or on the stick.  There is a little icon in the corner of the app icon indicating that it’s on the stick vs being in memory.

My TV is a 2017 with the latest firmware.  I didn’t do anything special with the setup other than formatting the stick with FAT, installing the stick, and restarting the TV.

That's certainly true, but the key 'gotcha' is *new* apps. The built-in apps, and the OS, can only use the on-board storage. This is by design, and is the nub of the problem. Once that storage is used up (which happens automatically), those apps and firmware can't update.

It's also ridiculous that the user has to use additional external storage to install new apps in what is marketed and sold as a Smart TV.