Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 28-12-2020 11:54 AM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
teeveestuff
Pioneer
Options

@monk2 wrote:

2 weeks since the last post!!

Anymore input? Anyone had any further dealings with retailer? If so what was the outcome.

Just trying to keep this going.

I think with everything else going on in the world right now, the lack of app storage space on a 2+ year old TV that can still function as a TV is pretty low priority in most sensible people's lives. 

I don't recall anyone on this thread actually saying that the issue has ever bricked their TV completely. If that was the problem for everyone then it would be a bigger issue and one certainly worth following up.

The truth is, yes the insufficient space message is irritating, but everything on the TV does still work. Even this week with the new TikTok app pushed to my NU7400, it still functions perfectly well, as do all the other apps.

I, and I suspect many other people now, have moved on from this issue. There are much bigger, more important things going on that I'm sure any self-respecting person and indeed those working in customer services right now, will be worrying about much more than a TV that does still function as a TV.  

0 Likes
tmdudley63
First Poster
Options

It is an issue if you are running Xfinity Beta streaming. I need more cache for the app.  deleted all of the spps I don't need but I am now thinking I need to keep my xfinity box for the older 75 inch tv.  My newer samsung is not having the issue.

I am frustrated by not being able to find out where to clear the cache.  Any help here?

0 Likes
Members_5DEsqne
Student
Options

Cela fonctionne sous Windows mais en effet les applis se réinstallent toute seule au bout d'un moment. Je n'ai pas testé Pi-hole car ne fonctionne pas sous Windows. J'ai essayé d'utilser AdGuard en programmant les adresses IP de leur serveur dans le DNS de la TV mais cela n'a pas l'aire de fonctionner. Par contre je ne sais pas comment bloquer l'accés par la TV au serveur de Samsung. Ma box ne le permet pas. CDT

monk2
Pathfinder
Options

teeveestuff

Explorer

In response to monk2

I and I suspect many other people now, have moved on from this issue. There are much bigger, more important things going on that I'm sure any self-respecting person and indeed those working in customer services right now, will be worrying about much more than a TV that does still function as a TV.  

Hello and thank you for your above reply to my post.

Yes Times are very difficult for all in whatever country we are in.

It has been around 2 years now since Tony47 the O.P. first posted regarding the problem.

As you say you and others will have moved on and Samsung will be grateful for that.

In fact in a previous post 11-08-20 you said <I'll be seeking my refund from John Lewis when I can be bothered. I replaced my NU7400 last year when the problem first arose and banished it to the spare room so I'm not in any rush. >

Others including myself may not have the financial means to outlay more money for another TV.

With the expectation of many years use are not so fortunate as yourself.

I’m not going to repeat what I said in my last post, anyone interested can role back a couple of posts.

I think the reason I continue with this is to show Samsungs continued arrogance in refusing to acknowledge that they produced a set with an inbuilt floor. Also the contempt for customers who have paid out a lot of money contacted them for support and were given anything but a straight answer.

People not connected with our complaint may come across these posts which googling Samsung products.

Samsung are now promoting 8k TV which is still a very long way off being transmitted and in fact I believe they are upscaling 4k. Who is to know if this new product after spending a great deal of money will do what it is supposed too. Potential customers coming across these posts at least will know what to expect from Samsung if this is the case.

Everyone have a safe and pleasant Christmas.

teeveestuff
Pioneer
Options

.As you say you and others will have moved on and Samsung will be grateful for that.

In fact in a previous post 11-08-20 you said <I'll be seeking my refund from John Lewis when I can be bothered. I replaced my NU7400 last year when the problem first arose and banished it to the spare room so I'm not in any rush. >

Others including myself may not have the financial means to outlay more money for another TV.

With the expectation of many years use are not so fortunate as yourself.

I’m not going to repeat what I said in my last post, anyone interested can role back a couple of posts.

I think the reason I continue with this is to show Samsungs continued arrogance in refusing to acknowledge that they produced a set with an inbuilt floor. Also the contempt for customers who have paid out a lot of money contacted them for support and were given anything but a straight answer.

People not connected with our complaint may come across these posts which googling Samsung products.

Samsung are now promoting 8k TV which is still a very long way off being transmitted and in fact I believe they are upscaling 4k. Who is to know if this new product after spending a great deal of money will do what it is supposed too. Potential customers coming across these posts at least will know what to expect from Samsung if this is the case.

Everyone have a safe and pleasant Christmas.

Very fair points. I apologise if I in any way offended you or others still pursuing the matter. 

Have a happy and safe Christmas all... ☮️

Potatismoose
Journeyman
Options

Ok, here is a solution that worked for me. You have the ”normal” reset that doesn’t work, and them you have the flash reset that worked for me. 

under the Samsung logo on the TV you have a small black button about 2-3cm in from the bottom edge. With the tv turned on

1. press the button at the logo for 5-10 seconds

2. Release the button

3. press the powerbutton on the TV Remote for 5-10 seconds. Tv goes black and then restarts after a while. This is the flash reset and made my tv go from 80mb free storage to 240mb free storage. Still crazy that there isn’t more availible space when storage units is cheap as hell... but anyway, that worked for me

i have a 55NU7475

Potatismoose
Journeyman
Options

Please see the last page in this thread for a solution that I tried that worked for me.

My TV went from 8% free space to 32%, and I successfully managed to update the apps.

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Thanks for that information @Potatismoose , seems it may well be a partial solution for those with the limited storage issue.   Positive that you were able to update the apps.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
teeveestuff
Pioneer
Options

I can also confirm that what @Potatismoose suggests does indeed work. My NU7400 now has 216MB free with all the pre-installed apps fully updated, and the TV on the latest firmware. No insufficient storage message popping up. Menu navigation is noticeably speedier too. Seems to have properly flushed all the caches. 

Only downside is that the reset does put everything back to factory settings so you have to re-input all your picture settings, etc after doing it.    

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

Thanks to the above posts for your views on a solution.

I can assure you this remedy has been tried by many over the last year . Unfortunately it is only a temporary fix , the memory fills up again in a short time. My own set was  reset by an engineer Samsung sent out, then the set was taken away and a new board fitted. None of these worked for long.