Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 05-02-2021 08:17 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
teeveestuff
Pioneer
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

No, unless you're very lucky. A user on page 178  @Potatismoose tried a flash reset and said that it freed up 240MB, which helps. Another user @teeveestuff said that worked for him too. I'm not sure if they still have the same free space.

This is copied from the post:

Ok, here is a solution that worked for me. You have the ”normal” reset that doesn’t work, and them you have the flash reset that worked for me. 

under the Samsung logo on the TV you have a small black button about 2-3cm in from the bottom edge. With the tv turned on

1. press the button at the logo for 5-10 seconds

2. Release the button

3. press the power button on the TV Remote for 5-10 seconds. Tv goes black and then restarts after a while. This is the flash reset and made my tv go from 80mb free storage to 240mb free storage. Still crazy that there isn’t more available space when storage units is cheap as hell... but anyway, that worked for me.

I have a 55NU7475.

(NB this sets everything back to factory settings, so all the logins will have to be re-entered).

I still have over 200MB free since doing the flash reset a couple of months ago. All apps have updated and I no longer get the 'insufficient storage' error message. 

dragonsun
Explorer
Options

hi, may i ask if the 'small black button' is the power button on the TV itself,, because i wonder how flash reset work for tv's with 'joystick' button, like mine?

i tried just pressing it as is but it doesn't work. 

0 Likes
teeveestuff
Pioneer
Options

The power button on my NU7400 is just a small button on the underside of the TV, behind the Samsung logo. It isn't a joystick. Repeated presses of it cycle through menu options on-screen. Holding it in turns the TV on or off and allows me to do the flash reset. 

Members_1vFPgF3
Student
Options

Hi, I've kind of been following this thread since 2019 regarding the memory issue, I'm a patient guy when it comes to problems and although my 7400 suffered from the dreaded memory issue I only got the insufficient memory popup on the last update back in November.

Today I've come to revisit this forum to see if it was fixed and your flash reset worked, I've gone from 3% space of 21mb to increasing this up to 212mb... so for this I thank you for the info 🙏

But today unfortunately my tv has developed a screen fault (before the reset), 2 horizontal lines have appeared and I'm waiting on a resolution from RS, sad but it was a great budget tv.

Once again many thanks.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

I'd say you got lucky! You'll be able to swap it for another budget TV with storage more suited to the 21st century.

fraibean
Pioneer
Options

How to reset flash memory? thank you

0 Likes
Members_1vFPgF3
Student
Options

Gutted to be honest, but yet relieved as you said got lucky, It's not like it's had a lot of screen time as it's a second room tv.

Hopefully the outcome will be better with a like for like replacement such as the TU8500 (2020) model, fingers crossed

0 Likes
Potatismoose
Journeyman
Options

See my post on page 178

0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

Sigh,

my 40NU7192 got sent back to the retailer as fixed. Board repaired / exchanged, but the panel has not been touched and has exactly the issues I told them it had 😞

23 days wasted, and now have to figure out how to give them pictures of the issue , given they don't accept using emails, nor sending to an employee phone.... already wasted 11 days 😞

Not a good support experience, considering it was all detailed in the accompanying note + there was an handmade drawing showing the precise positions and form of the issue

I'm not looking forward to be left without a tv for 3 more weeks, with the warranty expiring in 5 months.... and not having something to substitute it with temporarily.

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

You have been more than patient with your supplier. Please name country  you are in and retailer, my own dealings with retailer were also slow because they used a call center.  My set was away for one month, apparently changed the board but turned off the updates.  I changed this to on and the memory full situation was the same.  At this point because i had bought my TV with a credit card i contacted them giving all the information i could,  I asked for a refund under section 75 of the credit card act. Within two weeks they refunded me in full.

0 Likes