Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 17-11-2020 06:15 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

You may be lucky. In the UK the cut-off is six years from purchase if you buy using a UK credit card. This is based on the UK consumer credit act (section 75). As this is based on EU law I would assume that the Czech Republic has a similar statute of limitations. It would be worth googling your own country's consumer protection legislation. If you used a UK card you're fine. Someone here bought a Samsung TV in Greece but managed to get refunded under Section 75 as it was a UK card.

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

Tony47. It was me who got the refund under section 75 my UK card company were very helpful and i had a full refund. I should add my TV was only around 12 months old when i made the claim. But agree regarding a claim is still possible. One of our posters copied /pasted a EU directive about people having the right to expect goods to last and be serviceable well beyond warranty limitations.

That post will be later than page 135 on here if Patrick1111 wishes to look.

nbennett1970
First Poster
Options

Just installed firmware 1310.4 from a USB stick on my UE43NU7020 - it has provided a little more space, and auto updates seem to have worked - however I suspect this is just a stop gap, as apps only seem to get bigger - I will monitor and post updates here

0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

Oh... so there's a new firmware update. Interesting, very... do you see anything different aside the 2 things you mentioned ?

0 Likes
nbennett1970
First Poster
Options

I've not spotted anything different - although a quick google, it seems that 1310.4 has broken Youtube 4k streaming (that wasn't a concern of mine).

0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

not a big concern for me, too.... but it's something so easy to test before releasing that hints to quite poor testing...

0 Likes
AQuALoRd
Explorer
Options

So, looking that the firmware fix is not definitive... I just remind the fix I apply from time to time.

I just press on re-install, for all the Apps (at least the ones I am interested). This is enough to have them updated to the last version.

For the annoying (no free space message), it disappears after some time (it seems it's quite random and maybe dependent on the storage status, hidden temporal files and so...). In any case, I don't enter in the Apps section every day, so I don't know how much it takes to disappear, but it does.

And I know that my TV soft gets updated because the basic apps (the ones that you cannot remove) vary along the time.

This is only for the guys that want to keep with their lives without having much trouble and are happy with the rest of features the TV has (in any case I understand those ones asking for a refund).

0 Likes
Liam548
Explorer
Options

Ive put a Samsung USB3 256GB stick in for recording, Ive found that if you are close to zero % left in storage  on the TV it gives you the option of installing to USB stick as well. Not sure if it all handles updates etc as well with this method.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

On AVForums.com someone has just posted a link to an app he's developed to delete the built-in TV apps. He thinks it deletes the apps permanently and will therefore free up space:

https://toxblh.com/samsung-apps-remover/

However, he accepts that they might come back in future updates and recommends Pi-hole to block the TV from communicating with Samsung servers. I asked him whether this was a security risk, but I didn't quite understand his answer. He's asking for his app to be tested. I don't have my Samsung any more but I'd be very interested to see if it works.

AVForums: https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-tv-apps-storage-space-issue.2205372/post-28628656

JH33
Explorer
Options

As the BBC News and Sports apps are no longer being operated, I'd have hoped they would vanish or could at least be deleted to save some precious space.

Alas.

I got the 1310.4 update and it has effected 4k YouTube for me too. It sometimes goes down to 360, and has to be changed or freezes.

0 Likes