Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-12-2018 10:34 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Members_bnuKxPz
First Poster
Options

@monk2 wrote:

Welcome to this site.

Please read from page 135 and as said above you will find all the answers you need.

Buying online you must have used a credit or debit card? If a credit card contact them and say you wish to make a section 75 claim. 

I bought my set in Greece with my UK card, the retailer was uncooperative so i contacted the card issuer and made a claim. Had a full refund inside of 2 weeks.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for responding.  I trawled the pages lastnight and i think have all the info now to tackle the retailer.   ii purchased with a credit card at the time.  if that section 75 process is successful then what happens to the TV? 

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

In my case the company asked me to dispose of it.

0 Likes
storpey
Explorer
Options

Quick update from me (John Lewis customer living in the UK).

John Lewis are refusing to cooperate based on the engineer's report. Despite everyone else here having engineers who agree it's faulty, mine repeatedly states that an external USB drive will solve the problem, and tells John Lewis this, who then accept his report as a professional engineer. I've stated that I've tried this over and over again and it doesn't work or fix the issue (besides the fact it's a pathetic slap-dash 'solution' anyway, even if it did work).

I've even mentioned repeatedly that other John Lewis customers have had this issue resolved long ago, but they don't seem to care.

The mind boggles. I'll keep arguing until they stonewall me again and then it's official complaint time. Sigh.

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

Many people on this site have bought from John Lewis and despite them stonewalling at first they have always relented and refunded in the finish.

As suggested above read from about page 135 you will find comments from many knowledgeable people who have been in your position and won.

You are right the external USB suggestion is flawed from the outset.

Just read the previous advice.I am confident you will win your case.

0 Likes
halster65
Pioneer
Options

Hi storpey,

I was in your exact position.  JL said the same thing to me.  They refused to help me as they stated it was a software and not a hardware issue.

There is no need to call them and explain, they will not budge until you put in a official complaint in.

I can't believe they are still doing this even after they are fully aware of the issue and have issued refunds.  

Good luck! 

Keep us updated how you get on! 

storpey
Explorer
Options

@monk2 Thanks for the info, but I've been following since about page 110! Which is why I'm so annoyed this is still dragging on.

@halster65 Good to know, thanks! Got another engineer coming along on Thursday from a different company to have a look, sent by JL. I really hope they're not going to say the same thing, that a USB drive is how to fix it.

But yep, regardless of what happens, I'll be doing a complaint next. Thanks for the support!

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

I had similar problems with JL and the way I unlocked it was to make sure that the JL-appointed engineers properly understood the problem. Once they accepted that the built-in apps and operating system cannot update even with a USB drive installed (because they must be installed on the internal storage), they put that in writing to JL customer services, who finally accepted that there was  no solution.

After the above there is another step to go before you can get reimbursed, which is that JL (and other retailers) insist on having a returns number from the manufacturer. This covers them against financial loss. It's not normally a problem as it's not in Samsung's interest to play hardball directly against a large retailer, but it can cause further delay until it happens.

0 Likes
Patrick1111
First Poster
Options

Do you know according which EU law is this behavior in violation? I have 3 year old Samsung TV out of warranty and currently have no space to update apps. Samsung helpline is not helpful and I want to contact reseller to exchange the TV.

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

Hello Patrick1111

Please state model number when you bought it and from what country.

You talk of reseller does this mean you bought it recently as a used model  Was it via the internet Did you buy with a credit card. All these things will have an impact on your case.

0 Likes
Patrick1111
First Poster
Options

Unfortunately it was 3 years ago by credit card.(Warranty in EU is 2 years). The problem appeared recently. Was anybody successful with refund out of warranty? The model is Samsung UE43MU6172 . Country: Czech Republic. It have 816 MB, same as NU7500.

0 Likes