Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung ripping off Irish customers

(Topic created on: 19-02-2024 08:48 PM)
FrankBulls
Apprentice
Options

Why does Samsung treat it's Irish customers with such distain? Currently, while UK customers can avail of near full supply of stock, there is not a single OLED available on the IE store. Meanwhile, UK customers can avail of attractive promotions, while Irish customers get the dregs of their stock at marked up prices. 

And it's not just the shop, Samsung Pay is used as a selling point for Galaxy devices, despite it still not not being available here, almost a decade after it was promised. 

I recognise its a smaller market, but brands like Apple and Sony can somehow operate successfully here without giving their Irish customers an inferior experience to their UK neighbours.

What have you got against your Irish customers, Samsung?

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
Dave123456789
Navigator
Options
I think you'll find it's all of Europe that get screwed over. Not just by Samsung but all tech companies. But it's not really their fault, you've got the EU to thank for that (taxes)
0 Likes
FrankBulls
Apprentice
Options

I'm not buying that, Dave. Germany has a vat rate of 19%, the UK 20%. Ireland's is slightly higher at 23%. The EU doesn't set vat rates at a market level.

And it certainly doesn't seem to impact Samsung's pricing policy. Right now, you can get the 65" S90c on Samsumg Germany for €1599 before discounts. The same item is available to most UK customers (after cashback and rewards scheme) at €1340. 

The product isn't even available on the Irish site (no OLEDs are) but the listed price is €1,900. Even accounting for Ireland's slightly higher vat rate, that is an inexcusable price differential. 

Dave123456789
Navigator
Options
Fair enough, I import all my tech purchases where possible anyway. The price of this stuff is getting out of control
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
The ones in UK are complaining why phones are cheaper in the US and blah blah.
It's more to do with country policies and stuff.
Blame your government.
0 Likes
FrankBulls
Apprentice
Options

I'm sorry but that's just a flippant, uninformed and unhelpful contribution.

Apple and other brands can operate here with price and stock consistency. By your logic, I should be thanking the government for Apple's operational efficiency. 

0 Likes