Did you mean: 

S20+ usb-c to aux problem

(Topic created on: 15-03-2020 11:24 PM)
H0pH0p
Explorer
Options

Hey guys,

So I got my new S20+ And its great!

There is only one problem which makes me want to lose the phone... the is no aux, not a problem because we got the cables usb-c to aux... only, it does not work.

When connecting it, it makes a click sound like it works. Then it actually doesn't play any audio.

I tried to connect it to my car, did not work. Tried to connect to some regular earbuds and a studio headphone those worked. But since I get my buds+ soon I couldn't care for those thing, I want to listen music in my car via aux.

Why isn't my 1300 euros phone not allowing me to play some music in my car?

Thanks in common!

Go to solution
79 REPLIES 79
Powlez1
Journeyman
Options
Does it come up saying unsupported device now
Hunttr
Apprentice
Options

Not sure what happened but now its working again.Its all good!

0 Likes
Powlez1
Journeyman
Options
Ok no probs 👍
0 Likes
Mikeyevs
Pioneer
Options

SCS Apprentice.

I have had the same problem. The sound from the s20 to the chord mojo is appalling. I have also had to use USB Audio Player Pro and it works brilliantly.

I am also surprised that you cannot connect a usb c to phono directly to a car (or pre amp?). I have not tried this, but the thread suggests that it does not work.

It begs the question, how do passive headphones work without a DAC?

Mike

Bobjames
Explorer
Options
Thanks for your input Mike. It's very strange. A cheap adaptor works fine into basic passive headphones but when I connect to my PA I get nothing. Bob.
0 Likes
ronald321
Apprentice
Options

I found the same problem-no sound. I purchased an inexpensive device from ebay and it did not work.

When I put S20 or Samsung in the search I found that these units from everyone (ebay/amazon, including Samsung are about $13.00.

If it needed a "special" item, it gripes me that:

1. it is not included in the box. instead we got a set of usb-c earbuds.

2. the item should be available as an accessory right from the order page, like the wireless charging pad or cases.

3. they actually included the usb-c/usb adapter in the order page as a no charge item.

I hope someone from Samsung actually reads these community messages. 

thanks for listening

Bobjames
Explorer
Options
Thanks for posting Ronald. The more people who post the better. Maybe Samsung will take notice. Regards Bob.
Mikeyevs
Pioneer
Options
I am assuming that the adaptor must have a DAC inside.
0 Likes
Mikeyevs
Pioneer
Options

This article inadvertently gives us the answer.

https://www.techarp.com/mobile/samsung-galaxy-note-10-dac/

The S10/20 does not have a passive output, (eg, headphone jack) so you will get no sound without a DAC as the USB port only pumps out ones and zeros.

The AKG headphones have a DAC built-in which is why they work.

The two mainstream (in the hi-fi world) solutions are the Audioquest dragonfly or the chord Mojo. However, if you are an s20 user then even these don't work properly as there is a software glitch in the USB output which makes the output sound like a scratched record. You have to use additional software like USB audion player pro (which you have to pay for) to provide a solution. This is very annoying as it means that you can only play music from a few specific sources such as Tidal or Qobuz.

Very very poor from a £1500 phone. I wish I had kept my s9. It worked seamlessly.

Bobjames
Explorer
Options
Thanks for the info Mike.
I tried
https://www.esrgear.com/products/2-in-1-usb-c-pd-headphone-jack-adapter/
It didn't work but warned that the connected USB device isn't supported. I tried USB audio player pro but it didn't work.
Regards Bob