Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Switch and Windows XP?

(Topic created on: 20-11-2021 11:48 PM)
Dave-H
Apprentice
Options

I've been using Smart Switch for years on my old XP computer, but the latest update (4.2.21093.6) won't install.

The previous version (4.2.21075.3) installed absolutely fine, as did all the previous ones.

Has XP compatibility been dropped, I've seen nothing to that effect?

It starts the install but then says -

Error Number: 0x80040702.
Description: Failed to load DLL: MSSetupAddinDll

That DLL is present in the setup's temporary folder.

Thanks, Dave.
🙂

4 REPLIES 4
AndrewL
Options

@Dave-H: Please can you installing Visual C++ Redistributable via Microsofts support site to see if this helps? If not, uninstall Smart Switch, then reinstall it via the link below by clicking on 'How Do I get Smart Switch On My PC or Mac'. You can also check the system requirements here, to ensure you meet the minimum specifications (including storage).

How do I backup my smartphone to my PC or Mac? | Samsung UK

PhilBoy
Journeyman
Options
All updates contain spyware and other forms of spying upon the end users...
0 Likes
Dave-H
Apprentice
Options
Thanks. All the C++ Redistributables are already installed, and have been for years. 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, and 2015-2019! As I said, this has never been a problem before, the program was first installed four years ago, has been updated many times since, and has always worked perfectly. This is the first update that has ever failed, which made me wonder if something has changed which has broken XP compatibility. 😢
Dave-H
Apprentice
Options

Sorry for the long delay in updating this, but just to let everyone know, I have decided now that there is no answer to this, and Smart Switch is no longer compatible with Windows XP.

Whether it is the program itself or just the installer I don't know, but I can find no way to now get it to install. I don't know whether this was by accident or by design, but either way I can't do anything about it.
☹️

It installs fine on the Windows 10 side of my multi-boot machine of course!
I guess I will have to just stick with version 4.2.21075.3 on XP, which works fine anyway, unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Cheers, Dave.
🙂

0 Likes