Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Dishwasher DW60H3010FW - Burnt / Melted Mains Plug

(Topic created on: 28-08-2023 04:07 PM)
JBIET
Apprentice
Options

Posted this ealier today, but was actually in reply to someone who had listed the same fault, but for Samsung washing machines (a simple search on Samsung burnt plug took me there).

Anyway, this is more to make people aware that this potentially dangerous fire hazard is not restricted to washing machines, as I had the same with a dishwasher.

No ideas what kind of fault could cause the appliance to attempt to draw so much current through a UK 13amp plug that it melts - but as can be seen by the photo, it's an obvious dangerous fire hazard.

I don't need any info from Samsung Support - no way this appliance is safe to use (have heard of people being told to simply fit a new plug....!). Dishwasher currently on it's way to scrap yard, where it belongs.

Samsung DW60H3010FW Burnt Plug.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
keith30
Maestro
Options
Get your power sockets checked by a electrician to see if any are putting to much voltage to your appliances. I had a problem once where cooker hood flan was tripping my electric meter as it was drawning to much voltage from a faulty power socket. The electrician replaced that and iv'e had no problems since
andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

I would chop off plug and wire on another 13a 3 pin plug if that were me and make sure the socket it plugs into in all good - shame I don't live near you I would be the in-between between you and the tip and have that dishwasher if it were going for nothing!

AsadM
Options

Hi @keith30 if you are based in the UK or Ireland then please send a private message to Sam_UK by following the steps in the link below, and I or one of the other mods will be able to get this escalated for you.  

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/samsung-lounge/how-to-send-a-private-message-on-the-samsung-comm... 

JBIET
Apprentice
Options

Just a quick update....

Socket, ring main circuit and voltage are all as they should be - see photo.

V&Hz @ Dishwasher SocketV&Hz @ Dishwasher Socket

The delivered voltage is set by the DNO - in this case Northern Power Grid - and as the socket is a passive device, it cannot output more voltage than is supplied by DNO.

The circuit is a ring main, protected by a 32amp MCB. Whilst it could be possible for a device or appliance to attempt to draw too much current, the device or appliance should ideally have overload protection cicuitry - and if all else fails, there is a 13amp fuse in the appliance plug (although a 13amp fuse will most likley not blow at 13 amps).

Whatever caused the excessive current draw, as can be seen from original photos, it generated sufficent heat to melt the plug and blacken the fuse.

No issues with any other devices or appliances connected to the same ring main.

So I still believe this to be an appliance fault - I'm not bothered from my personal point of view, as the dishwasher is long gone - it's more that this may be helpful for anyone else with this issue.

0 Likes
andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

The only 'heavy' component in a dishwasher (and washing machine) would be the Heating Element (that could be around 2kw - i wonder when they go faulty or on their way out could they even consume more??)  - and then your 13a socket at 240v I think can take just over 3kw and even that is not supposed to be 'continuous'
(on another note if I put a energy meter/digital multimeter on my 3 pin sockets here in Ireland ours are 230v AC - lower than the UK Voltage) 

On the other hand if the manufacturers make the element lower wattage this would be great for less chance of overheating the 13a plug .... but it would make the wash cycle longer and of course then the end consumer would moan then to the company , and people will go for brands that washes quicker. 

Most of these brands now are manufactured in Europe these days and imported into the UK & Ireland ... that got me thinking that the majority of europe use 16a shucko plugs without any fuses in them , whereas we use 13a rated plugs with 13a fuse in them  - there might be some bearings there between 13a plugs getting overheated maybe? - I dont know 

0 Likes
nicky82noo
First Poster
Options

Hi I have the same issue with my dishwasher, I’m concerned that this might need to mention this to other owners, I can provide you with model number and photos. 

0 Likes
Sam_UK
Options

Hi @nicky82noo , Just a post to say that we've received your private message. 

0 Likes