Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Fold 5 cracking/popping sound

(Topic created on: 28-10-2023 09:05 AM)
TallPaul1984
Apprentice
Options
Hey is any body experiencing a cracking/popping sound when opening their fold 5? It does sound like something sticky peeling. It didn't do this when I first got the phone, and has seemed to get louder. There are no visible signs that the screen protector is starting to come off. I sent my first hand set back because of this. My friend who has a fold 4 said he had this but removed the screen protector and the noise disappeared. Any one had this and removed the screen protector? If it is the screen protector then I can live with it. Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
It should not be making the noise.
I've had my Z Fold 5 since launch, and it still opens and closes silently.
It's possible you may have managed to get some grit or something in the hinge mechanism.
It's best to get it booked in with Samsung customer support to get it looked at
0 Likes
TallPaul1984
Apprentice
Options
It's the 2nd device I've had and it the same but louder, I also use the spigen case that covers the hinge. Bit lost, but booked in next week to check it out
0 Likes
_Manny_
Apprentice
Options
I have the Z Flip 4 and one day last week my screen protector peeled off in the middle. When I opened my phone it unstuck, making a sticky cracking sound similar to what you describe.

You can get one free screen protector replacement from Samsung and maybe an idea would be to get that done, to see if that is the problem. However, beware as I've heard if the screen is damaged it's costly to replace unless you have insurance and it's possible (although unlikely) when removing your screen protector they could damage the screen and say it was already damaged. Lots of reviews say this online; I discovered these when I looked up replacing my screen protector before deciding if I wanted to use that free service or not.
[I decided not to and replaced it myself, which was easier than I expected. I figured I'd take more care than perhaps a trained technician would with lots of them to do... you can decide if that's good judgement call or not, but for me it worked out.]

Alternatively, send your phone in to have it examined and repaired if needs be, especially if you have insurance.

Other than that, I've not heard of unsticking/cracking sounds, unless the screen itself is delaminating? You should be able to see this by looking at your hinged part of the screen though.

PS In case this is useful info, the screen protector I used to replace the original Samsung one was from the company Whitestone, on Amazon for £15.99. I watched a few YT videos before attempting it myself and used one as a step-by-step guide as I replaced it.
0 Likes
TallPaul1984
Apprentice
Options
Thank you there is nothing visible at all that it's starting to come away. I find it odd the price you pay for the hand set and things like this occur. I am booked in to have the hand set looked at and I have insurance. Phone hasn't been dropped and been very well.looked after. Just annoying as this is the 2nd handset I've had which is doing this and didn't do it when I originally recieved them
0 Likes
Artindoril
Navigator
Options
As a bit of a heads up to everyone, I had my screen protector replaced free last week. The store said the screen protectors are designed to only really last 6 months, and shocked mine had lasted 12.

Apparently though you don't need them for the warranty to still be honoured. I was told by the store that when this one goes, take it back in and they'll remove it for me for free, without any appointment. If I want another replaced then I'll need an appointment and pay £30.

Half tempted to get it removed completely when the time comes.
0 Likes
_Manny_
Apprentice
Options
Perhaps your screen is coming away on the inside of your phone? I don't know, of course, but I hope not. If it is I'd wonder if that's covered by warranty.
I'm sure Samsung technicians will find the problem and repair it for you. Good luck!
_Manny_
Apprentice
Options
Thanks for this information! Mine lasted 7 months so that's not too bad, I guess.
I'm wondering if it's better not to replace the screen protector too, especially as you've said the warranty isn't affected. Good to know! I'm concerned I'll damage the screen without one but I could damage the screen replacing them every 6 months! It's not exactly a straightforward decision.
0 Likes
Othafa
Journeyman
Options
Mine started peeling off after about a year so I got it replaced free of charge however that was about 3 months ago and the new one is also peeling away and I'm getting the same crackling sounds each time I open it. Not really happy about it but what can you do. Seriously considering bailing out of Samsung as the Honor Magic Pro unlimited looks like a better phone.
0 Likes
Evelyn16
Student
Options

Sorry to hear about the situation with your phone. However it sounds like a repeated problem with the Samsung z fold 5. I bought mine last week and the second day I started hearing a crunching sound  which has now gotten louder. Looking on the net I find it seems to be a thing with these phones. Considering the price one pays you would not expect this to be present. I will be following to find if their has been any solutions. I bought my phone abroad so this really an inconvenience.