Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The keyboard sucks.

(Topic created on: 11-02-2024 11:06 PM)
Rob_1938480
Explorer
Options
After upgrading from an old S10 using SwiftKey keyboard, to an S24 Ultra I stuck with the native keyboard, mostly for the ai features that was used to sell the phone.

But the keyboard simply sucks. It barely remembers words or word sequences. The auto replace only works on some text boxes, but most of the time it just leaves very clearly misspelled words. When auto replace does work it often picks strange words.

Going from SwiftKey to Samsung I very noticeably spend more time managing the corrections. 

What are other people's experience with the Samsung keyboard?
33 REPLIES 33
Juli3n
Hotshot
Options
I think your problem is that you're not seeing the proper vivid colours of the keys, the keyboard is fine!
Jam13
Navigator
Options
Totally agree on this, I stuck with it for a few weeks conscious of losing the AI features but I've finally had to ditch it and go back to GBoard, it was horrible to use. If it was even bothering to attempt to correct typos to an English word, it was suggesting absolute gibberish when the correct word was right there. GBoard isn't perfect but I'm not having to go back and retype entire sentences like with Samsung
Piper123
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
0 Likes
Rob_1938480
Explorer
Options
😂
0 Likes
Rob_1938480
Explorer
Options
😂
0 Likes
Komen
Explorer
Options
Yeah same frustration I'm facing
0 Likes
martinj79
Explorer
Options
It's terrible. I had to go back to Gboard (prev phone was a pixel) despite loosing the AI features, it's far less annoying.

The Samsung predictive text didn't even replace "i" with "I" in a sentence.

The AI also picked US English spellings instead of UK which ruined that too. I've logged it with Samsung along with various camera issues. They have replied saying they will investigate everything.

I like their feedback/error reporting system. I just hope they actually try to resolve everything we report.
Juli3n
Hotshot
Options
#madLad
0 Likes
Loxworth
Apprentice
Options

TL;DR: From my personal experience, hold out for a week or so and then see whether it has gotten better or not.

I also just upgraded from my trusty S10 only using SwiftKey, to an S24 Ultra now, trying to stick to Samsung's native keyboard for the AI features. I was very skeptical at first, but then later got more and more used to it, to the point where I personally feel like the benefits of the native keyboard actually equal out the negatives. Here's why:

I type in 3 different languages (Danish, English and German, prioritized in that order) on a daily basis, where it's not only important that the keyboard layout of the language I'm typing in matches, but also gives me word suggestions and corrections relevant to the language. Similar to SwiftKey, you could just add more languages to Samsung's keyboard and then swap between them by swiping left/right on the spacebar button. However, it seemed like the prioritization/order of the languages I had added were not being taken seriously by the keyboard, since the default layout would always seem to be German (my least used language) no matter what I did in the settings. So this quickly just got in my way of typing as smoothly as I used to with SwiftKey.

HOWEVER, after a couple of days and a few tweaks, I realized that the phone was just trying to "calibrate" to my habits and actually seems to notice what app I'm typing in and automatically switches over to the language I last used in that specific app! I also feel like it's better at remembering my typing habits, as well as predicting what words I'm about to type and then suggest exactly that.

No clue whether this is due to the built-in AI or not, since I haven't read anywhere that this is the case, but all I can say is that it certainly feels that way.

davehorne
Troubleshooter
Options

I continue to use SwiftKey and forgo any features I'm missing.  

Watch4 Classic
Galaxy S24 Ultra / 512 GB / Microsoft Launcher / Spigen Thin Fit case