What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable vs WiFi for Smart Switch

(Topic created on: 14-02-2024 08:57 AM)
Options
Going to re-do the switch tonight from my S20 to my S24+ so that all the photos stored on the SD card switch over also.

As I have limited time (only a few hours in the evening after work plus I need to box my old phone tonight to trade in tomorrow to meet deadline) I'm asking about the method. 

WiFi took a few hours last night to totally finish. 

Is cable much faster or only a little faster? If we're talking turning a 3hr transfer in to 2hr30min then it's nothing major. I'm just wondering if cable is significantly better? 
0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
Well I find cable faster and more reliable.
How fast depends on how much data you have to transfer.
But for me cable is definitely the better option
Da6xn9
Pathfinder
Options
For my s24 ultra, it took around an hour to transfer 100gb of data, which I thought was quite fast
Options
That's quite good as I'm a bit of a data hoarder.

Last night it got to the stage where I could use the phone reasonably quickly but for the whole process including Secure Folder it took like 3-4hrs.

And tonight when I do it I'll have a stack more photos being transferred over from the SD card.

Having said that, I hope my idea even works - that the photos WILL transfer even though they're on an SD card, since the S24 doesn't have one.
0 Likes
Da6xn9
Pathfinder
Options
If the photos from the sd card don't share, quickshare or nearby share work quite well so they could be an option if the first doesn't work
Options
I'll be pretty peed off if it doesn't. The reason I'm re-doing this is just to keep the whole album structure as I have it.

Sure I could re-do but I thought it'd just be easier if Smart Switch will do it automatically.

It transferred over photos from phone memory no problem as I expected it to but the question will be about the SD card.

I'll find out tonight.
0 Likes
Reylob
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

I will use a cable. Saying that Quick Share between two S24 Ultra was blazingly fast.

Technology enthusiast, but not related to any technological company.
0 Likes