Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S22 Ultra - Battery drains very quickly

(Topic created on: 19-07-2022 10:11 PM)
Adrr556
Explorer
Options

Have had my Galaxy S22 Ultra (Exynos) since launch and it's really good coming from the Pixel 6 Pro but having three issues which I'm sure are linked:

> Battery drains very quickly. I'd unplug it at 100% and within 10 mins of idle I've already lost one percent of my battery. SOT maximum is 3 hours so am tied to a powerbank. This is pathetic and I'm needlessly using up charge cycles. 
>Phone is hot on idle. I'd pull the phone out of my pocket where it hasn't been touched but it will hot to the touch
>Constant microlags and stutters whilst using the phone in e.g. the interface. 

Anyone else having these issues? I already factory reset one day after having it as thought this to ve abnormal but it's still exactly the same. 
385 REPLIES 385
Essakj
Apprentice
Options

i tried same problem it's doesn't work

0 Likes
The_Chemist
Voyager
Options

@TRG-TheGreat There is something to what you did. 

I experience similar performance if I let the phone drain down to where it sais it only has a minimal battery percent left, then fast charge it overnight to 100%. 

It appears that the battery lasts way longer than it normally does the next day then. BUT, after a day the abysmal battery performance returns. 

I've been good, only charging to 85% and discharging to 30% before recharging slowly, but the battery or the phone itself is a P. 0.*., and no matter how you baby it,the battery life  is just plain awful 

0 Likes
Idustm
Journeyman
Options

It's like wiping wet dog poo off the bottom your shoe with a silk doily. 

0 Likes
The_Chemist
Voyager
Options

I've been using the AccuBattery Pro app on my S22 Ultra. The app has shown gradual battery degradation at quite an accelerated rate. 

AccuBattery is reporting 93% battery capacity or 4668 mAh total battery capacity. 

I've only been charging to 85% and recharging when the battery drops down to 30 %. 

I'm very surprised to see how fast this battery is dying. 

I may as well charge to 100% to squeeze a bit more time out of the battery before recharging. 

I have never owned a phone that I have been so disappointed with. 

I've lost 7% of the total battery capacity in 3 months. That equates to a 28% loss of total battery capacity per year if the rate is linear and not logarithmic. 

This S22 Ultra will only last a few years before needing a new battery or better yet discarded. 

What a total waste of money. 

0 Likes
Vu Nguyen
Pathfinder
Options

I use the AccuBattery free version.  Since 4/23/2022 until now.  I have 91% of the battery life left.  🙂

I don't know how it measures though.  The iPhone battery of an iPhone 13 I have seen still reports 100% life after a few months of usage and it is charged daily.....

I have an xs max over 2 years of usage and it reports 90% battery life left.  This phone is not used much, but still charged daily.

The_Chemist
Voyager
Options

@Vu Nguyen Thanks for posting that  information! 

I would think that even 91% is rather accelerated battery degradation. 

I installed the Free AccuBattery app ony girlfriend 's S21 which she has had for a year and 3 months. The app reports 96% battery capacity left on her S21. 

There is something just not right with these S22 Ultras! 

0 Likes
The_Chemist
Voyager
Options

Actually, I was wrong. I took delivery of the S22 Ultra on 2/19/2022, so I've had it 5 months. So a linear degradation would be 16.8% in one year, assuming the degradation is not logarithmic. 

I didn't realize I had this phone 5 months already. 

AnyHoLiC
First Poster
Options

Seems to be an issue with 5G cellular mode. Even when you're connected to WIFI, it still drains the battery.

Switch to 4G and you'll be fine. I did it for another reason and it fixed the issue.

"Settings > Connections > Mobile networks > Network mode: LTE/3G/2G (auto connect)"

Here's what happened with me:

I own S22 and I have the same issue. I would go to sleep while the phone is on 60% or more. When I wake up in the morning, I would find that it had already drained to 0% and turned off.

For two months now I didn't have the issue. Turns out I switched network mode to 4G when I was in a location with poor 5G service. I didn't notice until a few days ago. I switched back to 5G and the issue came back same as before. I found the battery drained dead in the morning.

I set up a few routines to switch the network mode to 4G and disabled the reversion function.

They should look into this issue. It has been four months since the release.

0 Likes
beebesknees
Journeyman
Options

I am having the same issue. Bought the phone yesterday and I'm already messing with settings to reduce lag, battery life etc... I thought this was supposed to be a great phone. 

The_Chemist
Voyager
Options

@beebesknees Some of us were early adopters to get the pre-order discounts on this phone. Man, did I ever learn my lesson there. 

Consumers are now the beta testers. Next time I'll let others be first to the gane, read reviews then make an educated decision before I purchase, so  as not to buy a  lemon. 

Battery life and sound quality on the S22 Ultra are extremely disappointing. The only thing the S22 Ultra has going for it is the screen. Otherwise, it's no different from an entry level $300 phone. Well of course there's the "S" pen, but now some entry level phones now have styli now as well. 

Makes me wonder where the extra $1,200 went after I subtract the $300 entry level price .... 

0 Likes