Did you mean: 

E-sim installation problems

(Topic created on: 08-12-2022 08:41 PM)
gamessty
Apprentice
Options

Model Name: SM-908B/DS

Product name: Galaxy S22 Ultra

Today I bought an esim through an app (a very reputable service ). The app attempted to install the esim itself; I clicked allow when prompted to grant permission, but then the application said that it had failed the installation and I should try manually. I received the QR code, but when I went to the SIM manager in the settings, it gave an error saying, "Wait for your eSIM to finish being set up before using the SIM manager.". I now cannot access the SIM manager. I have tried the following things:

• Rebooting the phone
  • Shutting it down ( and waiting a few minutes )
  • Clearing the cache for the settings app, Phone app, the mobile network's app
  • I tried installing an update, but there is none
  • I reset the network settings
  • I wiped the cache partition

The mistake might be on my side, I already have a physical sim and a previous active eSIM installed. It has already been ~9 hours since the installation. I am running out of options and I would really love it if I don't have to reset my phone to factory settings.

Please help me!

18 REPLIES 18
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
If you have physical and esim activated I can see it failing. I have never had an esim installed so only guessing. Is there anyway to disengage existing esim?

Others maybe able to help
0 Likes
gamessty
Apprentice
Options

I don't know how to disengage the existing esim, as I cannot access the SIM manager to turn it off. I don't know how to stop that error message from appearing. If someone could help me, I would be deeply grateful.

0 Likes
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Hopefully someone on here can assist
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@gamessty: Have you tried reaching out to the network who activated your previous/existing eSIM to see if they're able to de-activate it from their side. If the problem persists, try restarting the phone in Safe Mode to see if you're able to access your SIM card manager settings. To enter Safe Mode, press and hold the Power button until the 'Power off' prompt appears on the screen then release > Touch and hold Power off until the 'Safe mode' prompt appears then release > To confirm, tap Safe mode. To exit Safe Mode, restart your S22 device as you would normally. 

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
I used to have esim on my z fold 4 and went back to physical SIM due to esim doesn't support WiFi calling.
0 Likes
KajaSL
Student
Options

I have the same problem! 😞 Reached out to the provider of my original eSIM as well, they had turned it off and I still can't access the setting. Have you figured out a solution yet? Please help 🙏

gamessty
Apprentice
Options

I haven't been able to find a solution to the problem, I have tried @AndrewL's proposed solutions, and neither worked. I'm going to factory reset my phone this weekend with the hope that this will solve the problem. I will first do a backup to my phone, both on my laptop and on the cloud.  It's inadmissible that I have to resort to a factory reset on a high-end last-gen Samsung phone. I will post something after, if it works. Hopefully!

Razvan M
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem with S21 Ultra, and I can't access sim manager for 24h now. I don't want to factory reset the phone, as I think this can be fixed in an update. 

0 Likes
gamessty
Apprentice
Options

Ok! So, since my last post there have been some further developments, let's say. I started backing up my phone through various cloud providers with the intent of factory resetting it, after that it crossed my mind that I should also back it up on my laptop, this is when on Smart Switch on my PC the possibility of performing an Update appeared. I quickly accepted T&C etc. and waited for the update to be done and installed, hoping that this kind of force restart would trigger some resetting of the eSim settings. Unfortunately not even that worked. So I carried on with the factory resetting (it was painful). The factory resetting worked like a charm (eh not so much), the backups did half the job, but I can now finally say that my phone works like before.  I am now able to access my SIM manager and I have successfully installed an eSIM and accessed it. I am so disappointed that I have to resort to such "primitive" troubleshooting for what is an easy to make mistake. I wish you all luck and I hope that in the future Samsung improves the eSIM experience.