Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

Individual notification tones on S20 Ultra

(Topic created on: 10/03/20 18:49)
Tangoman65
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

It seems we still have no option or work round as to putting individual tones on texts like we still can do on ringtone. 

Does anyone understand why???. 

Is there a work round. 

0 Likes
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution
Tangoman65
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Yes with the options of the tones available. I was on about the tone I can put on. Anyway since my initial post I have done this. 

1. Download Zedge (or similar) and find the tones you want and download to your device.

2. Go to files folder on your device and find Zedge (or your choice) folder and highlight the sounds and copy option. 

3 Go to notification folder on Internal storage. And paste the tones to this folder. 

4. When you now go to notification tones they will be there. 

Hope this helps other people. 

Regards Tangoman. 👍

View solution in context

1 Solution

40 REPLIES 40
xraytedjim
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Of course we have the option.

* Go to your messages app. 

* Click on the conversation of the person you'd like to customize

* Click the 3 dots in upper right hand corner

* Select "Notification Sound" and customize your sounds.

You can also customize wallpaper for that individual.

Enjoy!

Solution
Tangoman65
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Yes with the options of the tones available. I was on about the tone I can put on. Anyway since my initial post I have done this. 

1. Download Zedge (or similar) and find the tones you want and download to your device.

2. Go to files folder on your device and find Zedge (or your choice) folder and highlight the sounds and copy option. 

3 Go to notification folder on Internal storage. And paste the tones to this folder. 

4. When you now go to notification tones they will be there. 

Hope this helps other people. 

Regards Tangoman. 👍

View solution in context

Victorialee
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Thank you so much! Just upgraded to the S20 and couldn't figure out how to use my zedge tones for individual people. 

This worked 

wizzyguy
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

to change different notification sounds for different apps on your samsung S20 Ulta go to: settings-apps and click the app - notifications-general notifications name-(not the on or off tab) check alert box and pick your sound...voila... you're done.

hope it helps.

Heidi2227
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

the problem is our contacts only allow for personal ringtones under edit not messages tones no one wants to save threads of messages just to have this feature Samsung should have never removed it..horrible 

MonsterLlama
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

100% agree.. The PM that let this feature be removed should be fired from the company. For me, it was the single most important feature of the phone and had caused me to stop upgrading until now when my old galaxy j3 was just getting too annoyingly slow.

In my line of work, it is incredibly important for me to know who sent me a text w/o taking the phone out of my pocket and looking.

0 Likes
Tangoman65
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

unfortunately this is a blanket text tone. I want one for wife another one each for both kids one for work etc. This responce doesn't sort out what I actually said. This was supposed to have been sorted on a new update by Samsung over 2 years ago. SORRY WIZZYGUY. Try again. 

Flaviu87
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

found it

Settings

Apps

App notifications

General notifications

Sound

Enjoy it :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Heidi2227
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

@Flaviu87 wrote:

found it

Settings

Apps

App notifications

General notifications

Sound

Enjoy it :smiling-face:

NO this is not it .....the ability to go to contacts hit edit and scroll down to assign a ring tone..there user to be a place for message tone that is gone..NO ONE wants to save all of their message threads just to have a custom contact notification for text messages. 

Flaviu87
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
https://youtu.be/Bp5Bd0pVjBU
I'm confused. However, bye for now, I solved my pb 😉
0 Likes
DragonWolf5589
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I have the s20+ i have 25-30 notification tones in the notification folder only ONE shows up.

I have a minus button. Eg option to remove that one.. However yesterday I had a plus button and all my notifications. Today only one shows and the plus button has gone so I can't add any at all. Before it even let me pick any mp3 and pick a segment as my ringtone or notification tone.

Now I have no idea if it's Facebook or twitter or what going off as I pick my own tones for each app and even some within the app like if someone mentions me on twitter or dms me vs just someone I follow.

Same with messenger and Facebook and emails and calander events. They all use same tone or built in stuff which I don't like 

Other Devices:
- (Possible Samsung Active Watch from the offer with s20+ once claim goes through)
- S6 32GB as spare emergency phone (If I don’t sell my s9+)
- Galaxy Tab A 10 Inch 16gb (rubbish but I got it free 2 years back – its ok to watch tv in bed)
0 Likes
Tangoman65
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Welcome to the all caring new Samsung. See previous posts on this and the s9+ relating to this from me. It goes back as far as then. Samsung going to sort out blah blah . Now we have a definitive NO from Samsung as to sorting this out.
0 Likes
DragonWolf5589
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

@Tangoman65 wrote:
Welcome to the all caring new Samsung. See previous posts on this and the s9+ relating to this from me. It goes back as far as then. Samsung going to sort out blah blah . Now we have a definitive NO from Samsung as to sorting this out.

Really? Cause my s9+ works perfectly. Every ringtone and notification in the folder shows up. Just checked it again now and it works fine on my s9+. Its only the s20+ i have hat seems to not have custom notifications showing up. Yet ringtones work fine. 

Other Devices:
- (Possible Samsung Active Watch from the offer with s20+ once claim goes through)
- S6 32GB as spare emergency phone (If I don’t sell my s9+)
- Galaxy Tab A 10 Inch 16gb (rubbish but I got it free 2 years back – its ok to watch tv in bed)
0 Likes
nobbygreen
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

if you want to assign to a specific person, go to text messages select one from the person you want, then click the 3 dots. top right. there you can then select the tone you want for that person. hope this helps :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Tangoman65
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Thats fine so long as you dont delete the whole message thread. If you do delete it the tone returns to default setting. Annoying!!!

0 Likes
SVGalS205G
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Everything worked up to notifications.  There is no general notifications within it.  There's no customization available.  Is this different for the 20+ 5g?

0 Likes
Toni31
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Wizzyguy, you're a legend, cheers!!!
0 Likes
esterlingrace
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Finally! Someone with the correct answer, thank you, Wizzguy!

0 Likes
CTR22
Observer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I have the S20 Plus and worked like a charm. Much better way to do it than a cumbersome copy/paste on the PC.  Thank you!

0 Likes
Billybob59
Observer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

You're correct! However this option can ONLY be done at the text thread level. If you are like any other text messenger, over a 30 day period of time you might have accumulated hundreds of text messages. This solution is really not a solution or even a work around. If ringtones can be assigned to a contact at the contact level, then text messages should also be included within the Samsung experience. Prior to the Note 8, this task was easy to implement, however for some unknown reason, the tech developers at Samsung have not replaced this benefit. If I was a manger within the Marketing department our Product Development for a company like Samsung and had this many complaints, by now, I would have definitely escalated the issue.

Someone at Samsung is not listening to their loyal clients...

Sincerely a 15 year loyal client