Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Individual notification tones on S20 Ultra

(Topic created on: 10-03-2020 05:49 PM)
Tangoman65
Pioneer
Options

It seems we still have no option or work round as to putting individual tones on texts like we still can do on ringtone. 

Does anyone understand why???. 

Is there a work round. 

0 Likes
Go to solution
42 REPLIES 42
MizterPolo
First Poster
Options
0 Likes
MonsterLlama
Student
Options

100% agree.. The PM that let this feature be removed should be fired from the company. For me, it was the single most important feature of the phone and had caused me to stop upgrading until now when my old galaxy j3 was just getting too annoyingly slow.

In my line of work, it is incredibly important for me to know who sent me a text w/o taking the phone out of my pocket and looking.

0 Likes
MonsterLlama
Student
Options

The inability of so many people to understand the issue is just astounding. Samsung, a few years ago, removed "contact" level, custom message tones. In contacts, we used to be able to specify a specific "ringtone" AND specify a "Message tone" too. This "message tone" is what is played when that specific contact messages you regardless of text thread.

Imagine you have multiple group message threads as well as individual text threads going. This allows you to know instantly, by sound, who just sent a text to a group message thread. Here's a pretty simple scenario from just this month: I have a long standing group message thread with a lot of family members: parents, sister, nephew, niece, and a few cousins. They all live in Oregon so was communicating a lot about the wildfire situation which was encroaching their home town. My parents were driving back to Oregon from Oklahoma during all this. Many of us were waiting on safety updates from the parents in the group message. So, whenever my mom would send an update on their progress and safety trying to find an open route back to the Salem area, I'd hear specific "message tone" for her contact & I'd check it quickly. Otherwise, it was usually just air pollution updates or sky pics from the others which are not urgent to read.

What so many people don't seem to grasp is that setting a custom message tone to the entire group thread is pointless here. I didn't need to know when "somebody" sent a text to the thread, I only really needed to know when my parents did. They are nearing their 70s, so we try to keep responsive to welfare and their asks.

masterofnone
First Poster
Options

Why is this marked as "Solved"? It most certainly is NOT (at least for those few who understood the OP's problem correctly).

Tangoman65
Pioneer
Options
Because as far as Samsung is concerned it is. as for the rest of us meer mortals who are at the sharp end of the stick and know what we are on about it's not!
0 Likes
easycompanybravo
First Poster
Options

Thank you for this!

0 Likes
Wingmann
First Poster
Options

How this hasn't been addressed or fixed, or another app created to do the work is simply mind-boggling.  I won't upgrade until they do - I love this ability!  And you're right... people mistakenly give advice on how to add a tone to a CONVERSATION and not a CONTACT.  Please please.... Samsung bring this ability BACK! There has NEVER been a valid reason (that I've read) as to why this was removed in the first place! If we can have custom ringtones, why remove the custom text tone????  Crazy.... Bat-poop crazy....

0 Likes
AZKomet
First Poster
Options

I am seeking customization for different apps.... in other words, I want a specific notification sound just for texts, and a different one for emails, and another for social media. Anyone know how to do that? 

0 Likes
Tangoman65
Pioneer
Options
It's usually through the individual app settings. Can you be a bit more specific.
0 Likes
Kcheever66
First Poster
Options

This worked perfectly with my S20+. I set up my notification sound first and then did the text setup noted above. Thanks!!

0 Likes