Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning Off System Updates

(Topic created on: 10-01-2021 04:06 PM)
Chiseler
Journeyman
Options

Is there any way to avoid all system updates? I like my phone the way it is, stop changing things around. What gives samsung and android the right to disable MY phone until I download and install their software?

24 REPLIES 24
strawberry cake
Hotshot
Options

@Chiseler 

hello there,

head to settings → software update → turn off "automatic update"

thanx

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") strawberry cake so delicious

0 Likes
Chiseler
Journeyman
Options

all the "automatic update" setting does is set the phone to update or not by itself.  with it off it still disables the phone until I install the update basically forcing me to install it. 

Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
You're not forced to download any updates. It will inform you of a new update, then ask you if you want to download it now, or later. If you click later it will dismiss the notification. It usually prompts you again about a week later.
Updates have 2 parts, a download, and an installation, both seperate events.
0 Likes
Chiseler
Journeyman
Options

delete

0 Likes
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
That means you already downloaded the update, since it's now asking your to install it which is a seperate event. Turn off auto download, and never download the update to begin with.
0 Likes
Chiseler
Journeyman
Options

it literally says "to continue using the phone install the update." it disables the home back and menu buttons and only gives you 2 options, install or postpone.  as of now i have about 20 more times i can postpone it.  after that when i open my phone and see the system update screen with that message and no postponements left, my only option will be to install it. 

0 Likes
Chiseler
Journeyman
Options

ok that makes sense. so i will never see this again?

0 Likes
Chiseler
Journeyman
Options

that's a little misleading, seems like "auto update" would actually auto update instead of just downloading it.

0 Likes
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
I dont know about your phone, but mine it says auto download. The auto update setting is only found in the developer options.

Screenshot_20210110-161128_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20210110-161110_Settings.jpg

0 Likes