Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung A72 problem with microphone in loudspeaker mode

(Topic created on: 30-09-2021 01:46 PM)
Makis6
Explorer
Options

I bought a new phone for my wife however we are experiencing a big problem.

I bought the Samsung A72 on the 18th of Sep 2021 in Switzerland, Geneva.

The problem: Every time we do a video call either via messenger app or Viber app, the other people do not hear us well. The sound has some "gaps". This only happens when the microphone is used in loudspeaker mode e.g. when doing a video call using messenger app but does not happen when we speak on a regular cell call.

I read online other people have the same issue. Is this a known issue?

We have tried to re-install the apps and to reboot but no luck.

EDIT Sep 30, 2021:

Some news: I have noticed that the "problem" appears only when I am not 100% steady. E.g. if I walk slowly the problem appears. If I sit and place the phone in front of me in a fixed position the sound quality is fine on the other end. Because you will ask, I do not put my hand or fingers on the microphone while walking. The microphones are 100% not blocked by any means.

I really think this has to do with either the software of the noise cancellation or the microphone switching. The phone "thinks" that my voice (when in distance, 20-30cm) is a background voice and it cancels it. This is my opinion.

28 REPLIES 28
MILAD1
First Poster
Options

same here!! any solution?

Makis6
Explorer
Options

Hi. No answer from support.

I also used the "Samsung Members" app to send an error report feedback explaining the problem. No reply as well.

I really believe that it is a software problem and the switching between the 2 microphones is not correctly implemented.

I also did a loopback test by typing *#0283# and the microphone works. So, it's really a software issue.

AndrewL
Options

@Makis6: I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. As Messenger and Viber both require an internet connection then the issue may be connection based, either at your side, or the recipients. Can you confirm if the problem persists for all video calls, and in all locations? Have you tried both Wi-Fi and Mobile Data when on a video call to see if you notice a difference? In the meantime, head to the Google Play Store and check for any available updates for the apps that might address the issue. 

Makis6
Explorer
Options

Hi Andrew. Unfortunately, it is not an internet connection problem.  I have tested this, and used also mobile data. I have a 802Mbps internet connection at both ends (https://ibb.co/6w8QgNX)

Some news: I have noticed that the "problem" appears only when I am not 100% steady. E.g. if I walk slowly the problem appears. If I sit and place the phone in front of me in a fixed position the sound quality is fine on the other end. Because you will ask, I do not put my hand or fingers on the microphone while walking. The microphones are 100% not blocked by any means.

I really think this has to do with either the software of the noise cancellation or the microphone switching. The phone "thinks" that my voice (when e.g. doing a video call while walking normally, max 20-30cm distance mouth-phone) is a background voice and it cancels it. This is my opinion.

0 Likes
Makis6
Explorer
Options

Update: I got an official reply by email from Samsung Switzerland stating that:

"We are already aware of the problem with the speaker. We are currently working on an update that should fix the problem. Please be patient a little longer. "

I am happy to hear that 1. they acknowledge the issue and that 2. that they are trying to solve it.

0 Likes
Vicente Raul
Student
Options

Hello Makisó,

I have the same problem with the same phone model bought in the same city.. Did you solved the problem?

I think that the new sofware updates is still not available. I do not understand how this type of issues can arise with Samsung... Cost and quality are not always linked.

Cheers,

Makis6
Explorer
Options

Hi.

No solution yet. I have the A725FXXU4AUH2/A725FOXM4AUH2/A725FXXU4AUH2 version, security patch September 1.

I am looking regularly for software updates but no luck yet.  

Kelon Harry
Student
Options

I am happy to know that this is a common problem as I thought my  device that my was defective, as unfortunate the problem may be I'm glad to know I'm not the only one