Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy A12 Microphone Issues

(Topic created on: 19-01-2024 05:16 PM)
MX7
Apprentice
Options

Several days ago both of the microphones on my Galaxy A12 failed during phone calls and voice recordings using the messaging app.  At best I could hear, and others I was talking to could hear, very faint sounds surrounded by static.

However....

When I use the video feature on the Camera app, both microphones record my voice clearly, without any static.

I am completely baffled as to the nature of this problem.  Is it bad hardware?  Bad software?

I tried a full factory reset and every other bit of advice related to the microphones, but the problem remains consistent.

The mics do not work when I make a phone call; they do work when I record a video.

Thanks in advance!

Go to solution
47 REPLIES 47
nwgeorgia1
Explorer
Options

Unfortunately, I have not been able to do so. I used the available tech support chat feature that is provided within the Samsung Members app. They had me go through a number of steps, which included setting things back to factory default, deleting some files, etc., but to no avail. The last step they gave was for me to bring the phone up in safe mode and then get back to them and let them know once it was in safe mode and they would continue working with me at that point. Well... once you are in safe mode you can't use any downloaded app. So, how they expected me to reconnect with them and continue to work, I have no idea. Their suggesting that and it being about 9:30 pm at the time, I just called it quits. I've been using a set of plug-in earbuds, which also work just fine, which leads me to agree with you in that there is a strong likelihood that something like a firmware upgrade has caused a problem with the microphone (mic 1, at the bottom of the phone). Thing is, I hope this is something that can even BE fixed. If my phone is wrecked I'm not going to just up and buy another one, especially it being likely that it got wrecked by a firmware upgrade implemented by someone else. I'll use this as motivation to switch services overall... which I've been thinking over, anyway. Maybe they can fix it, though. That would be good.

nwgeorgia1
Explorer
Options

I just noticed something. Why does this site read this issue as having been solved? It hasn't been solved. If you click on the "Go to solution" it takes you to where they guy says the issue still exists and he has implemented a workaround using ear buds. That isn't solving the problem (??).

Is there a way we can get this discussion opened back up so that someone with Samsung will actually investigate this still-ongoing and seemingly-growing issue?

Jfceklosky
Explorer
Options

I agree this is NOT solved!!!!

There is a problem with the firmware that MUST be fixed by Samsung!

nwgeorgia1
Explorer
Options

I have opened a new topic concerning this issue, hoping that it may garner attention and someone may start taking action. Within the new discussion I provided a link back to this discussion, as well.

This is a link to the new discussion concerning this problem. 

Capsaicin_Reaper
Journeyman
Options

Mine did this and the fix was to turn off "Turn Over To Mute". This is when it mutes your phone when you lay it face down.

!! UPDATE !!- The problem came back, so mine was only a temporary solution... 😞

!! UPDATE 2 !!- It seems that my solution has fixed mine for the most part , now it only does it maybe once out of every 20 calls or so. And I'm not taking it apart to fix it, if it gets bad agian I'll just buy another phone...

There is one big difference between my phone and most others that have this problem, mine has never had a earphones plugged into the jack nor have I ever used a bluetooth headset of any kind. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but thought I'd let everyone know anyways.

Update: My phone has now worked correctly for the last 5 months or so now. But I still have never plugged in any wired device in the 3.5mm plug, I think this is what causes it to be a permanent problem.

0 Likes
nwgeorgia1
Explorer
Options

Thanks. I just now tried turning that off and it is still not working.

0 Likes
Jfceklosky
Explorer
Options

I tried the same and the problem still exists. 

Samsung better pay attention here!

0 Likes
Capsaicin_Reaper
Journeyman
Options

Sorry, this makes up my mind, from now on I'm getting a S phone... lol

0 Likes
NB1950
First Poster
Options

I also have the same problem with two different a12 handsets. Posted about it in March 2024 here - only current solution is using headphones. Have tried factory reset but same issue. Clearly a bug which Samsung haven't addressed. Their online tech support wasn't able to resolve either.

0 Likes
liviuuup
First Poster
Options

The problem is NOT solved!