Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A50 Stopped Charging except through Laptop

(Topic created on: 24-12-2020 06:43 AM)
JMK822
Journeyman
Options

Hi there, my A50 has been getting worse for charging recently, and today it finally stopped charging altogether. I have tried various adapters and cords. Nothing seems to matter. The phone says it's charging, but it does not charge. The battery percentage just sits there. When I plug it into my laptop to charge, it says that the "USB device needs more power than the port can supply," and it charges very slowly. I bought this phone only a couple of years ago for over $500. I sure hope there is a viable and free solution, especially given the sheer number of people experiencing this exact same problem. Please help. Thank you.

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

It might be worth using a torch to see if there is any debris in the charging port @JMK822 

Your phone is covered by a 24 month warranty but this does not cover issues caused by an accidental bump or water damage.

A Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre can take a look. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

leggera16
Apprentice
Options
my s9 started having battery issues and keeps saying USB device connected disconnected over and over since the last update. Google it there's hundreds of a50 owners affected. they say its your port needs replacement but some people rolled back to older software and it "fixed" the problem. some people even had the port replaced only to have problems return a few months later.
JMK822
Journeyman
Options

What do I do if there's no Samsung store or service centre in my city?

The ports look fine. There's never been any water damage.

0 Likes
JMK822
Journeyman
Options

"accidental bump"?

0 Likes
JMK822
Journeyman
Options

Any thoughts on the power surge the phone creates when plugging in to the laptop?

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

i.e dropped @JMK822 

JMK822
Journeyman
Options

Anyone?

Does someone from Samsung have a solution? Or anyone else? I'm not picky. I just want a solution. Should I be phoning tech support instead? How do people usually find their solutions on here?

My situ in brief again... No water no "bumps", not the charger, causes power surge when plugged in to PC laptop, won't charge anywhere else, phone is about 18 months old, there is no samsung store or centre in my city.

Is there a patch yet for this or something?

Do I have to mail my phone somewhere? What do I use as a smart phone if so? So many questions. Appreciate any insight you can offer.

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Yes please do contact your regions support Samsung department to see what they can do for you @JMK822 

JMK822
Journeyman
Options

Ok thanks for Clarifying.

Any insights on the other question? In particular an alternative to visiting a Samsung shop or centre. There isn't one in my city.

Is there a number I can call where a tech can do stuff or walk me through a process while we're on the phone?

0 Likes