Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The firmware update for Evo 970 plus is not working.

(Topic created on: 23-06-2023 06:51 PM)
medvedvvs
Journeyman
Options

So, tried the firmware update ISO image taken at https://semiconductor.samsung.com/resources/software-resources/Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_4B2QEXM7.iso

But it cannot detect drives. Drives are visible in the system (500Gb and 1Tb) one from 2022.08 and the other 2022.12.

The same (OLD!!! it was Phenom 8x) computer works with SSD 980 drive and update was OK. Core5 old comp does not work.

The trick with initrd image replacement in ISO image does not help: the same story. RAID is turned off (it is an old computer).

The firmware update ISO image totally does not work on new computers (Ryzen and Core; tested 5 comps with different chipsets  and  cpus). And the RAID option (SATA, NVME etc.) is turned off (as prescribed in PDF). And SSD 980 firmware updater was not able to detect drives on new computers too.

Guys! It is a deep shame!

10 REPLIES 10
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
Have you tried installing Samsung Magician? You can usually check and manage your firmware in the app?
medvedvvs
Journeyman
Options

Yes. It can see disks. But cannot accept disk id with -d option.

So, it can show, for example, SMART info from WD(!) hard drive (id 0)but cannot reach Samsung (0:c and 1:c). Docs says that it is RAID. But RAID is off in bios (for SATA, NVME).
Note: on old computer fumagic can see 980 and refuse to see 970.

BTW, 970 and upper are not mentioned in documentation for Magician.

PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
I'll have a look when I go on my laptop as I have a 970 in that. It sounds to me like there could be and issue with your drive or the port or a possible limitation in the BIOS or maybe an issue with how well the drive is seated in its slot. It might be worth trying in in an external enclosure to see if it's recognised from there. You have to be really careful with firmware updates, if I get any errors I don't risk it
0 Likes
medvedvvs
Journeyman
Options

I understand the risk. Note, 5 (different!) computers were tested (AMD, Intel, different chipsets - 100%). And the disk was installed to the native Samsung(!) notebook (900X3 or so)  (instead of the original disk). With the same result.

So, my HW options are in attachments.
Screenshot at 2023-06-25 16-46-31.jpgScreenshot at 2023-06-25 16-48-02.jpgScreenshot at 2023-06-25 16-48-45.jpgScreenshot at 2023-06-25 16-50-34.jpgScreenshot at 2023-06-25 16-52-57.jpgScreenshot at 2023-06-25 16-55-44.jpg

PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
That's quite a head scratcher. If you can see and make changes to the disk in windows disk management and magician can see the disk that indicates the disk itself is ok and points to a configuration or compatibility issue in BIOS or possibly the existing firmware on the disk. But it seems to be struggling to find some files which can indicate either a corrupted file or running the update from different location than expected. If it is seeing a raid array that suggests a BIOS configuration issue. Without having the pc in front of me it's stabbing in the dark a bit. But I would suggest looking on the pc manufacturers website and check how to fully deactivate raid as some may have active raid for built in storage etc and there may be known issues for compatibility. BIOS is the best thing to rule out first. The next thing is the firmware update itself, which could be a bad file or again have known issues with certain chipsets etc check support section on Samsung for that. An easy step to try is see if there is a dedicated driver download for the SSD from Samsung support section as windows drivers are not unknown for causing gremlins. I hope this helps but I'll do a scan on my dell laptop to see if I get same errors but if I'm not mistaken firmware updates may clear the drive which I wouldn't want to do but I'll have a look. Hope this is helpful
0 Likes
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
This is the info on my laptop re the SSD and version numbers. Hope this helps. Mine is a 970 Evo plus 1tb

20230625_160025_1000011539_1687705302.jpg
0 Likes
medvedvvs
Journeyman
Options

Note. The firmware update is a tiny Linux distro with 5.15.39 kernel. Which is fresh enough.

So, the disk is visible. RAID (again) is OFF in BIOS (SATA and NVME), disks are not in RAID. More, the distro is pure.
Fresh info: 980 became visible on the main computer with Ryzen (B650 chipset) by the fumagick after FW upgrade!!! It was not visible before.
Screenshot at 2023-06-25 18-20-11.jpg
Fresh update. 970 is not visible in the slot where 980 is visible. So, it is a bug in fumagick software, as I can see.

PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
It maybe that the issue is due to the existing firmware in the SSD causing a conflict in your current pc. The only thing I can suggest is to put the SSD in another pc or external enclosure where there isn't a conflict and try running the firmware update from there. Sometimes some components just don't like some machines so if it's updated in another machine it may sort out any incompatibility issues for when you plug it back in but I would do it via magician or make sure the firmware update file is the official Samsung file before running it. I hope this helps
0 Likes
medvedvvs
Journeyman
Options

Magician shows the same result. More, it can see only old version of fw.

0 Likes