Did you mean: 

Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED - black screens, connection losses, and more

(Topic created on: 15-10-2023 07:22 PM)
ElfVierzehn
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

I have the G9 OLED for two days and have really lousy problems:

- when I start a game in fullscreen mode with the native resolution of 5120x1440, the monitor sometimes shuts down. There's no way to restore the image until I'm somehow able to either blindly quit the game or restart the PC - sometimes only the reset button helps.

- When starting certain apps or fullscreen applications, I hear a sound like a device is connecting and disconnecting. I also hear this randomly - it stopped, when I disconnected the USB cable from the monitor and ramains happening when I start full screen applications and exit them.

- I randomly have black screens every now and then without doing anything specific. And quite extreme: If I watch a video via any media player, enter fullscreen and move the mouse, the screen goes black for 3 seconds and then returns. If I move the mouse again, the screen goes black again. This goes on and on.

- I am using an RTX 4090 with this monitor. When I set it to 240 Hz, the GPU memory clock rate is not downclocked when the PC is idle. That means the GPU memory clock (not GPU clock) is always running at max clock, which is not ideal for power consumption and temperatures.

I use a Display Port 1.4 cable with 32.4 Gbit/s, but also have an HDMI 2.1 cable with 48 gbit/s. This happens with both cables. As soon as I lower the monitor Hz to 120, the memory MHz goes back to the correct idle value, as it should. Is this a normal behavior?

- when I turn off VRR on the monitor, it is no longer possible to set the native resolution.

The monitor is running on the latest firmware version 1023.

These are honestly such massive problems that I am almost determined to return this monitor to Samsung as soon as possible.

Any input from more experienced Samsung users who have been able to remedy these issues?

Thanks so much!

145 REPLIES 145
rjblueskies
First Poster
Options

I've replaced this same monitor once and I'm experiencing the same problems. I've had to disconnect and reconnect the DisplayPort cable many, many time in the few days I've had this product. 

Honestly, as badly as I want this to work, I have to return it. The erratic behaviors are too frequent to justify keeping it for the price.

It feels like Samsung just rushed it to market without properly testing it. Very poor quality on the performance front given the it behave erratically. 

I won't even bother with Samsung support since it's always terrible for any Samsung product I've owned (phones, fridge, washer/dryer, etc).

Benihipe
Student
Options

Hello guys,

I got the same errors and the only solution, that worked for a few days for me was resetting the whole monitor.

Hopefully Samsungs is releasing a firmware update that fixes this trash or i will replace the ***** thing to them ...

0 Likes
rikoriko123
Journeyman
Options

Same thing with random black screens, but the image returns after 5-10 seconds. This is unacceptable for online games, and in general it is very strange. This began to happen on firmware 1006.3 (model LS49CG93). GPU 7900 XTX, occurs with both connections, HDMI and DP. There are also other glitches.

0 Likes
Bulldog0419
First Poster
Options

You have to use a display port cable to get to the 240

Warmen
Journeyman
Options

HDMI cable works as well. I am running 240hz with HDMI 2.1b cable, about an only issue I am having is:

" I randomly have black screens every now and then without doing anything specific. And quite extreme: If I watch a video via any media player, enter fullscreen and move the mouse, the screen goes black for 3 seconds and then returns. If I move the mouse again, the screen goes black again. This goes on and on" 

Samsung acknowledged that this issue is known and they are currently working on it. This is Gsync feature related ,if Gsync is off at nvidia control panel/driver level  this does not occur to my knowledge and according to samsung. Their suggestion at this time is to turn off gsync which isn't a solution by all means. The problem I am having with that is that weirdly to add to the top of issues , if gsync is off , the option to adjust HDMI black level is blocked which is beyond explanation.

rikoriko123
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for the answer, but 240Hz is present on the included DP cable (1.4) and even on HDMI 2.0, although now I use HDMI 2.1 according to the specification that supports 8K.

Of course, the problem I described above about the 'random black screen' is present on any version of the cables. :smiling-face:

0 Likes
rikoriko123
Journeyman
Options

It will be a pity if they fix this only for G-Sync, since for me it appears on Freesync with AMD Radeon (7000) series. xD

0 Likes
Kriminal
Explorer
Options

I've the same issue when playing at 5120 x 1440 240Hz HDR, no issue at 120Hz.

Random black screen for few seconds with all monitor usb devices disconnected  and then comes back on.

This problem does not occur with all games, but only with some in particular, for example "Lies of P".

Using a 4080 on HDMI 2.1 cable.

VictorOlm
First Poster
Options

Im having the same issues, this monitor is starting to pissed me off

Badgerslayer7
Journeyman
Options
Who exactly told you the issue had been acknowledged?
0 Likes