Did you mean: 

Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED - black screens, connection losses, and more

(Topic created on: 15-10-2023 07:22 PM)
ElfVierzehn
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

I have the G9 OLED for two days and have really lousy problems:

- when I start a game in fullscreen mode with the native resolution of 5120x1440, the monitor sometimes shuts down. There's no way to restore the image until I'm somehow able to either blindly quit the game or restart the PC - sometimes only the reset button helps.

- When starting certain apps or fullscreen applications, I hear a sound like a device is connecting and disconnecting. I also hear this randomly - it stopped, when I disconnected the USB cable from the monitor and ramains happening when I start full screen applications and exit them.

- I randomly have black screens every now and then without doing anything specific. And quite extreme: If I watch a video via any media player, enter fullscreen and move the mouse, the screen goes black for 3 seconds and then returns. If I move the mouse again, the screen goes black again. This goes on and on.

- I am using an RTX 4090 with this monitor. When I set it to 240 Hz, the GPU memory clock rate is not downclocked when the PC is idle. That means the GPU memory clock (not GPU clock) is always running at max clock, which is not ideal for power consumption and temperatures.

I use a Display Port 1.4 cable with 32.4 Gbit/s, but also have an HDMI 2.1 cable with 48 gbit/s. This happens with both cables. As soon as I lower the monitor Hz to 120, the memory MHz goes back to the correct idle value, as it should. Is this a normal behavior?

- when I turn off VRR on the monitor, it is no longer possible to set the native resolution.

The monitor is running on the latest firmware version 1023.

These are honestly such massive problems that I am almost determined to return this monitor to Samsung as soon as possible.

Any input from more experienced Samsung users who have been able to remedy these issues?

Thanks so much!

141 REPLIES 141
Rippers
Pioneer
Options

Hi, I have the 49" G93SC Odyssey OLED G9 240Hz Gaming Monitor and i have had a problem with the monitor not displaying anything when i turn on my pc. This has now happened twice in 6 days. I have used Samsung's own cable as well as my own. When this happened last time i plugged in my old monitor and connected it using the display port cable and the monitor came on straight away so that rules out any dodgy  cables. I even tried the HDMI port on the Samsung monitor and still no picture?? I turned the monitor off fully by the plug and left it for 5 mins before turning back on and then i got a picture through the display port. I am probably going to get in touch with Samsung with this issue as it should not be doing this at all imo.

Venner
Pioneer
Options

Im having issues with my G9 OLED aswell but instead of black screens get flickering with weird graphic glitches. Tried everything like you have but it happened about 2 out of 5 times i switch on my PC and annoying.

0 Likes
Rippers
Pioneer
Options

Ok so after using my computer and monitor today a notification popped up saying screen optimisation will resume once the monitor is off. So after shutting down my computer i left the monitor on to do the screen optimisation. After an hour or so i went back to my computer and noticed the monitor had gone into standby mode (little red led showing) so i though great its finished doing what it needed to do. So i turn my computer back on and nothing showing on screen?? So it has now done it a third time!! i even tried a new display port cable that arrived today which cost me over 20 quid and still no screen showing. I then went to try the hdmi port and still nothing?? The only way i got my monitor to detect either the hdmi or display port was to fully turn it off by the plug......i left this for 5 to 10 mins and turned my computer back on as well as the monitor and voila.....the monitor is back on and showing an image. So my question is.....does the monitor need to be turned off all the time if not using it or just leave it on standby after using it??? this needs to be sorted by samsung as it must be some sort of firmware issued? I will be getting in touch with samsung support on monday to ask this very question as it is a lot of money to be paying out for a monitor that is doing this weird thing right??

Rippers
Pioneer
Options

I had these weird graphical glitches popping on up screen like loads of colours fused together like lines....i updated the firmware for the monitor as well as updating my graphics card drivers and have not had this problem again since it happened about 6 days ago. 

0 Likes
Venner
Pioneer
Options
Firmware all latest along with nvidia drivers aswell. Only just got thr oled had the G9 non oled before with no issues
0 Likes
maurello
First Poster
Options

I started to see the same problem when I connected my Mac Studio using a USB-C to DisplayPort 1.4. It's a very odd issue. There is some flickering / showing artefacts in random parts of the screen. At times lots of artefacts show up and the signal is lost. Only way to get it back is to hard reboot my Mac Studio.
I have noticed this happens at higher hertz than 60. 60 hertz seems stable. 120, 240 or variable gives the issue. macOS is updated to the latest version, so it the monitor firmware. Very annoying issue considering I have the latest Mac Studio M2 Ultra and this monitor is one of the best in the market.

How to solve this?

0 Likes
nemoJoe
First Poster
Options

I had this too and it kept getting worse so I turned it in to change screens. Hopefully there next one will not act up but I'm worried. 

0 Likes
Rippers
Pioneer
Options
I've been using hdmi 2.1 certified cable and all has been great since. Also a lot faster than display port and you can also enable 12bit colour
0 Likes
nemoJoe
First Poster
Options

Might give that a shot but I don't think my issue has been the cable

0 Likes