Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odyssey G7 menu button intermittently not working

(Topic created on: 03-08-2022 09:13 PM)
KEH93
Journeyman
Options

My #Samsung Odyssey G7 is around a year old, and recently it's been giving me problems

The main menu button on the back of the monitor sometimes, seemingly at random, fails to respond. Toggling the joystick left brings up the source menu, and down brings up volume. Left toggle does nothing, and the pressing the main menu button does not being up the menu.

Strangely, when scrolling through available sources, the directional buttons are inverted.

Holding down the menu button to put the monitor on standby (and get rid of the flashing light) also does nothing.

I have to pull the power cord instead, and this seems to reset the monitor and brings back menu functionality for a little while.

The sources that it uses are two HDMI sources (I have to swap cables when I want to use either device) and a Display Port source.

I am hoping to update the firmware to see if this fixes it, but as I am stuck on my work laptop (the Display Port input), I can't use a USB. Since I now can't switch source to my home PC without any kind of control, this will be an issue to update.

The button is not stuck, nor did it receive a bump or knock that may have broken it.

This is a real pain, and I'd rather not have to send my monitor (that I rely on for work and play) off for a few weeks/months if I can fix something on my end.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

43 REPLIES 43
KEH93
Journeyman
Options

An update, in case anyone is still having the same issue.

I aquired a replacement monitor (same model) and it's been working brilliantly for a few months. Now, the problem is back and I can't even turn the monitor on as of this morning because the button doesn't respond.

I think, however, I have pinpointed the moment it goes wrong, at least for me. I have a few devices connected to the monitor. There is a tower PC (by DisplayPort), a work laptop (by HDMI) and a PS5 (by HDMI).

The issue resurfaced when the PS5 was turned off and it put the monitor on standby automatically. I held the button down to turn the monitor off properly at the same time, and nothing happened. The monitor went into standby mode, blinking light and all but the the button would not respond after this. After that, the problem has resurfaced.

This is absolutely a software issue as far as I can see, which is sad because that means it will never be fixed under Samsung warranty.

I'm not sure where to go from here, but will probably look into some local repair shops as Samsung repair just keeps taking part out and replacing them at random, which isn't working.

0 Likes
KEH93
Journeyman
Options

I've posted an update, but I wondering if the source of your issue is ethe same as mine.

Mine seemed to start when I tried to turn the monitor off at the same time as my PS5 was sending into standby. The button didnt work, immediately after the problem began occurring.

Has anything like that happened to you?

0 Likes
pfb201
Pioneer
Options
The problem looks to be software or overheating. Mine just got replaced again but it's terrible on some days but other days it's like there isn't a problem. Not sure if it's related to vrr or high refresh rate perhaps. I'll keep sending it back because they cover the repair with a warranty I believe. Won't be buying another Samsung monitor.
0 Likes
KEH93
Journeyman
Options

Yep, it looks that way!

Also, ask about alternate resolution for the repair. The guy I talked to about this latest repair mentioned that refunds or replacement units are something they consider if the issue is not corrected after a few tries.

Good luck!

0 Likes
pfb201
Pioneer
Options

Yeah absolutely no luck with that. It's been in the shop multiple times and they are very quick to point out it's a repair only warranty unless it's within 30 days of purchase. So unless they fix this bug which multiple people have I don't feel bad for making it as financially uncomfortable for them as possible. Every time I have to send it in it takes 10 days which leaves me without my gaming PC or another screen for work.

0 Likes
PurplePhenom
First Poster
Options

I Picked up this monitor yesterday 08/02/2022 and have the samne problem.  The only button mind you, is non-functional.

0 Likes
pfb201
Pioneer
Options

Yep it sucks but read above. Sometimes it's a software based bug mainly on dp but can be on hdmi where the scroll wheel just stops going the right way. However other times just after it's turning the laptop off its magically better. No idea what's going on but mines been for repair unknown amount of times and "fixed" each time for it to reoccur. Just not a great qa/qc with software or repairs.

0 Likes
SquareOne14
Pioneer
Options

Samsung monitors are built to last 1-3 years, and after they break (or slowly die), they will either not reapair them for you, or try to charge you more than the monitor is worth, if I was you I would just RMA and get something else. Samsung are no known for their service and now, not even known for their quality anymore

0 Likes
KEH93
Journeyman
Options

Another update from me.

Having tested my theory of the issue occurring because I tried turning the monitor off whole it was being put to sleep by another device (in this case, a PS5), I can confirm that the issue has not resurfaced since I applied my fix of waiting until the monitor is fully on standby before holding down the JOG button to turn it off.

So as far as I am concerned, this is the issue. My 'fix' isn't particularly helpful to those who this problem already affects, however. This needs fixing by the Samsung team.

0 Likes
Insperatus
First Poster
Options

Hey There, I found a solution to this since I recently had this issue. 

Get a rubber hammer and manhandle that joybutton, seriously... hit it with a rubber hammer a couple times and it will readjust the button to touch the board again. It started working for me perfectly. Let me know if it works for you

0 Likes