Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Galaxy Watch 4 heart rate not tracking properly

(Topic created on: 05-12-2021 10:59 PM)
rkam
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Hi all, am hoping someone could help as Sumsung customer support aren't interested in helping me. My Galaxy watch 4 classic has the HR measurement turned on to continuous monitoring but it is not updating continuously. Sometimes it just stops measuring and gets stuck at same HR value (even if I'm not exercising). Tried a updates, factory resets and sent it off 3 times to the service centre but still not fixed. Is there anything I need to do to fix the issue ?

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
xSteveuk
Black Belt 
Options
Wearables
Hi,
This page maybe helpful

Step and heart rate tracking not working on Samsung smart watch

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01003204/
0 Likes
rkam
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Thanks, but my issues persist after I have tried all steps in this link. The first time in the service centre the repair note said that they replaced the HR sensor, but the the next two times it was returned without any fix. 

0 Likes
Benji96
Explorer
Options
Wearables

Since I'm basically experiencing the same issues, no matter how the watch sits on my wrist, how loose or tight I tighten the band, or what I do with the software (changing settings like workout detection or even resetting the entire watch to factory defaults), I wonder: When did you buy the watch, when was the watch manufactured (you can read that on the backside on the label of the box) and did you always have this issue?
Mine has a rather similar issue: It only tracks when I'm basically not moving at all. Once I move in any meaningful way (be it eating or just standing up from a chair), it entirely stops measuring even though the LEDs are still flashing and it should measure the heart rate. Occasionally, it also disables the sensor by itself when resting for a random period of time, just to start again when you lift the wrist to see the watch face or go to the heart rate widget. I'm apparently not the only one who has this exact issue (there's a thread in the German community already). I've had both issues since I bought it (Thursday, Dec 9th) and it was manufactured Nov 23.
Since you have the same issue and already had a new sensor put in, I somehow assume that they might have created a new sensor revision or a certain sensor firmware that might not play along well with the OS at all.

And another thing: Do other sensor-related features (particularly the ECG, body composition, blood pressure and blood oxygenation) work as intended? Because mine do, yet it still barely tracks heart rate or stress once I move (which is what makes me think that it's some OS or firmware issue).

0 Likes
rkam
Apprentice
Options
Wearables
@Benji96 I bought my watch late August in pre order. I started noticing the issues pretty straightaway.. I thought it is something that could be fixed and as I liked the watch otherwise I stuck with it and for the past couple of months now iam trying to get samsung to do something to fix it. One of the support analysts I spoke with said it might be a software/firmware issue but couldn't say when it might be fixed... rest of functions seems OK, but the stress sensor is behaving strange since the last update.. almost all the time it says my stress is Max!! .. which either is true or their stress algorithm is broken.. stress monitoring also stops continuous monitoring arbitrarily
0 Likes
Benji96
Explorer
Options
Wearables

Ah, okay. Well, the stress is, to my knowledge, also a value that depends on the heart rate monitoring. That's probably why it's showing you unrealistic, nonsensical values. You can tell by switching the heart rate measurement to 10 minutes or even to manual and keep the stress measurement at continuous, it'll also flash green on the backside because it's basically the same thing to my knowledge.
Today, I tested something. I decided to go for a walk and started the workout on my watch (walking), expecting a disappointment based on my experiences so far: But it didn't stop measuring the heart rate even once. When I arrived back home, I stopped the workout and it immediately stopped displaying a reasonable heart rate and froze at that value until I sat down, wound down enough to have a lower heart rate, and didn't move. That's when it started showing some value.
Did you ever try a workout? Try that and see if it shows you any values or if it still interrupts. The watch shouldn't sit too loose or too tight.
I'll attach two screenshots which illustrate that:

Screenshot_20211213-133003_Samsung Health.jpg

This is the first screenshot from the walking (yeah, I rushed a lot and I'm almost constantly stressed. I sensed my heart rate sometimes during the walk on my carotid artery, it was actually acurate). As you can see, it doesn't even have the slightest interruption and the heart rate measurements actually correlate perfectly with the speed.

Screenshot_20211213-142618_Samsung Health.jpg

This is the 1pm-2pm graph during which I stopped the workout. As you can see, it cut out immediately after stopping the manually started workout.

0 Likes