Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch 4 heart rate not tracking properly

(Topic created on: 05-12-2021 10:59 PM)
rkam
Journeyman
Options

Hi all, am hoping someone could help as Sumsung customer support aren't interested in helping me. My Galaxy watch 4 classic has the HR measurement turned on to continuous monitoring but it is not updating continuously. Sometimes it just stops measuring and gets stuck at same HR value (even if I'm not exercising). Tried a updates, factory resets and sent it off 3 times to the service centre but still not fixed. Is there anything I need to do to fix the issue ?

37 REPLIES 37
Doug Murray
First Poster
Options

I am having the exact same thing with mine. I purchased in June 2022 worked great until the middle of November. Sent it in for repair. They replaced all the internal components and stated there was corrosion on the contacts inside. So, I must have gotten it wet. Found that odd because I never wear it in the shower or swimming, or even if I do dishes in the sink, I take the watch off. They repaired it at N/C and it worked perfectly for a month. Then started having the same issues. It would lock up at a specific heart rate (say 72 bpm), then I look again and it is in the 140's. I have done factory resets and it works again properly for a few minutes then freezes and goes to some crazy heart rate. I sent it in again to the factory for repair. They did nothing and said it passed their tests. I am sending it back again for a repair. If they don't fix it this time properly, I am done with Samsung and returning my watch for credit because they put out nothing but garbage. They have hardware issues that they try to patch with software updates which don't work. 

I could understand the heart rate measuring wrong if I have atrial fib which I don't per my doctor, but the watch tells me I do. Oddly enough, the other features that use the sensors do not function properly either. 

Just wish Samsung would step up and be honest with their customers and admit to problems instead of lying and covering up their problems.

0 Likes
Benji96
Voyager
Options

That it has worked great for you for some period of time indicates a hardware issue. Mine, on the other hand, has an obvious software issue that they're apparently aware of and are trying to fix. For me, the continuous heart rate monitoring (during a manually started workout) and the nightly continuous SPo² measurement work perfectly fine. When I'm relying on the continuous HRM outside of a manually started wokout, or try to measure the SPo² manually during the day, it never works. And that is not a hardware issue, that's a software issue. The new sensor didn't fix it, so it can't be the hardware in my (and most people's) case.

0 Likes
CGSJR
First Poster
Options

Just bought a refurbished Watch4 classic LTE with 4 months of factory warranty and I am having this same problem.

I started a manual workout just to test and the HR randomly jumped to 140; while my pulse oximeter showed HR at 70 bpm!

Continuous HR does not work correctly either; it freezes regularly.

So disappointed...

0 Likes
CGSJR
First Poster
Options

Update:

I put on my Polar H10 heart rate chest strap on and used the Polar app to watch my heart rate from my samsung phone.

Then with the watch NOT connected to the phone I started a new exercise on the watch using Samsung Health.

While sitting still my Polar H10 showed a BPM of 50 to 56 while the Watch showed a reading of 130 to 150.

I let that continue for quite a while with no change in the error.

Definately a problem somewhere with the watch.

0 Likes
CGSJR
First Poster
Options

New discovery:

I held the watch on the inside of my forearm ~1inch below the bend in my elbow and started a new 'Other' workout.

It worked perfectly; it did not slowly increase for no reason and when I did some light jogging in place it went up and when I stopped it went down.

But when I returned the watch to my wrist and did the same thing it would fail: slowly increases on its own, while I am sitting still and does not go back down.

NOTE: when I simply check my BPM it appears to work normally. BUT when I start a workout it fails unless I hold it on my forearm as described above.

0 Likes
Akilla Cambuhi
First Poster
Options

Samsung doesn't care about making a watch that is at least acceptable to the fitness crowd. It's not the best smartwatch or the best fitness tracker, it's average in everything it sets out to do. Samsung never again...

andreisc
First Poster
Options
So this started happening about a month ago for me too. The first thing to go was that the watch bezel would not scroll properly. Sometimes it would scroll and other times not. The HR then stopped altogether and then the GPS. I sent it in for service and then got it back 3 days later and nothing had changed! Is there any way to get my money back?
0 Likes
Members_kPSsgJu
First Poster
Options

Hi,  Similar problem in my machine.  Heart rate not accurate at all - not even brand new. Did all the same steps.  It's such a great watch I would have lived with that if I could have connected a chest strap for exercising but no option for that.  In the end I sent it back and bought a Garmin 😞

0 Likes