Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch 4 Emergency Calls Only Fix - O2 Network

(Topic created on: 15-01-2022 06:03 AM)
Ian_McD
Student
Options

If you're on O2 and you're getting "Emergency Calls Only" on your watch when out of range of your phone here's the fix!

I know this is a big problem for a lot of people, some of whom have returned their watch because they can't get it to work. I've detailed the process right from the start for the benefit of people who have come straight to this thread and may not have already tried most of the suggestions on other threads, most of which are relevant.

This guide assumes that you have already set up your eSim and have activated the mobile plan in the Galaxy Wearable App in the Mobiles Plans section. Go in the following order:

Settings On Your Phone

1) Settings> Advanced Features> Call And Text On Other Devices - Enable

Settings On Your Watch

1) Settings> Connections> Mobile Networks> Select Auto  (Always On can be selected but Auto works fine and is better for battery life).

Go To The Wearable App On Your Phone

1) Watch Settings> Advanced Features> Remote Connection Turn On - Enable

Now here's the bit where I think it goes wrong for most people not being aware of this next step.

2) Where you just enabled the Remote Connection, stay there but this time tap on the text that says "Remote Connection" rather than selecting the toggle switch.

3) You will now enter a sort of hidden menu that contains a switch called "Calling" and it says "Make and receive calls on your watch without a Bluetooth connection to your phone". This needs to be enabled. It takes a few seconds to activate.

Now to test your connection.

1) Your phone must be on and connected to your phone data plan or wifi.

2) Make sure your Bluetooth is switched on on your phone. Although it is not being used turning it off disables most of the features in the Wearable App including what you need for this to work!

3) You can now turn off the Bluetooth on your watch to simulate being away from your phone (or you could go for a walk and leave your phone at home!). Give it a few seconds while the phone switches over to the network (a little cloud should appear on the watch face), mine takes about fifteen seconds to switch over.

4) Make your call. Hopefully if all is well you should be good to go!

Good luck! I came within a whisker of returning my watch after numerous visits to the O2 Shop and hours of messing about simply because of the hidden setting under the "Remote Connection" settings that I only found by accident!

33 REPLIES 33
jsingforsam
First Poster
Options
Thanks for the fix! I found there was also another option I had to have enabled to make calls from the watch without being connected to my phone.

Follow the above steps and then on the option - Connect to devices using - make sure WiFi and mobile networks is selected rather than WiFi only!
crapsung
Journeyman
Options
Thank you, the first solution that actually works. I've been to the o2 shop half a dozen times and they don't have a clue how to set up a 4g samsung watch. It works perfectly now. Again thank you
0 Likes
crapsung
Journeyman
Options
I had the same problem, there's no such thing as an o2 guru as far as I can tell. I was back and forward half q dozen times with them. This fixed my watch so now at least I can use my watch to make calls without carrying my fold3 in my pocket if I'm only going to the shop
0 Likes
Drained
First Poster
Options
I had this problem in November 2022 with a Watch 5 I bought, emergency calls only, in the end it was returned. Thought I'd try the 5 pro and same problem.

The instructions in this very informative post have been followed but still unable to make or receive calls. Where do I go from here?

0 Likes
jlcnha
First Poster
Options
Finally!! Thank you so much for this. O2 or Samsung couldn't resolve the issue over the course of 4 days. This has worked!!
0 Likes
ryanken92
First Poster
Options

When I click on remote connections it doesn't have this 'hidden menu' that you mention, it's so bizarre how I receive texts and notifications but can't make calls 

0 Likes
Nulty70
First Poster
Options
Well here's a thing..tried above to no avail. Then noticed.. when I go into phone app on watch, if I look up the person to call in contacts and call them via that, it works. If I try and call the person from the call log, it doesn't work. Some permission setting I guess. But it works via contacts..
0 Likes
RockabillyChuck
First Poster
Options
Thank you OP for this post, I have just set up a connection to my watch and could only get emergency calls or it worked when connected to my phone which defies the point of it really... Weirdly, I don't remember having to do this with my old EE esim connection so maybe an O2 thing
0 Likes
caroline40
First Poster
Options
Thank you!
0 Likes
D0nJ0n
First Poster
Options
this still works on the Watch 6 .
just wish I found it before the multiple trips to O2
0 Likes