Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrating support with faulty ECG.

(Topic created on: 20-03-2021 12:20 PM)
Und3adShr3d
Journeyman
Options
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to come on here and vent my frustrations at Samsung UK support or lack of in my case. I've had my Watch Active 2 for 2 years now and it's been a really great device.

Last week like most people I installed the ECG and blood pressure updates and found that the ECG sensor only gives me a reliable reading around 1 in 10 times. The orange bars jump all over the place and then before the 30 seconds are done I'm thrown back to the ECG screen.

I've read on here and on Samsung's forums that in US they have a dedicated support team to resolve these issues but here in the UK I'm basically being given the run around regardless of which support channel I go down and what I provide as evidence. I have been asked to submit error logs through the members app which I have done several times only to be ignored for a few days with another "Reboot the watch/phone" type reply.
I'm frustrated because like most people on the Samsung US forums I obviously have a faulty ECG sensor, whilst I appreciate that Support need to use things out like factory resets, restarts and updates etc I have jumped through all the hoops yet I still don't have a support ticket open.

If anyone can provide any assistance or support in actually helping me get the sensor looked at it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

22 REPLIES 22
slicknick
Student
Options
I have exactly the same issue, and have read the same information on ECG sensor being damaged from inactivity. What are Samsung going to do about this? It was the main reason I bought the device. I initially felt lied to over the significant delays on the feature being activated, and now because it's taken so long, it doesn't even work. It's one of the main reasons I bought the device. Sad to say, that I have been a loyal Samsung customer, and if this isn't resolved by Samsung, I will no longer be buying anymore products.
Tony_B
Pioneer
Options

Same problem for me.  The ECG function is close to useless, with exactly the same symptoms as described by the OP.  Unless the pressure on the sensor is just perfect (not too much/too little) the trace occupies the entire height of the display, or the software keeps prompting me to touch the sensor.....while I am....

Remaining sufficiently still to avoid error messages is close to impossible.

For me too, this was the main reason for buying the Watch 3.

BP readings are sufficiently inaccurate to make them useless, SpO2 the same.

Heart rate monitoring (Continuous....lol) during normal exercise (e.g. walking) can be for as little as 10% of the time.

Getting ready to return this as "Not Fit For Purpose" unless there is a very positive response from Samsung. 

Fiz7863
Voyager
Options
Im having same issues on my active 2 watch. BP function seems to be working on amd off but ECG has never worked. Doesnt pass the finger sensor message screen. Its so annoying as the watch works amazing well. Shame even with updates functionality is not there.
Tony_B
Pioneer
Options

There is an update available (just noticed it today) which I have installed.

The BP accuracy is no better - Systolic reading is frequently 30% off (generally too low), whilst Diastolic is +/- 10% off the true level.

ECG is still almost impossible to use, as the trace varies so much with the slightest change in finger pressure, and it is really difficult to be sufficiently static for 30 seconds.

So - SAMSUNG - how do I get this resolved?  ECG and AF detection are the main reasons that I bought this watch.

Add to the above problems the significant HR drop-outs when walking, and I repeat - this device is not fit for purpose.  Continuous HR monitoring simply is not provided, and the more important ECG/BP stuff is either too difficult to use reliably, or just too inaccurate.

Und3adShr3d
Journeyman
Options
I'd just like to add that it's now been 3 weeks since I first tried to contact Samsung in regards to my faulty sensor and they're STILL either ignoring me for a week on average or just asking for more error logs.

I've updated the watch app and the phone app to the latest versions and this hasn't resolved the issue or even changed the accuracy of the reader. I'm appalled at Samsung support to say the least. Never before have I had this much of an issue getting a faulty product looked into, they won't even consider the fact that it's a hardware fault.
Tony_B
Pioneer
Options

I have just managed to perform a proper diagnostic test (found the "Test Mode" via the XDA Developer forum).  There is a test which checks the ECG sensor and gives a numeric reading for the sensor (0 to 9), where 0 is fine, and anything over 5 is a faulty sensor.

See YouTube for a run through of the diagnostic tests

https://youtu.be/BwNgZ0mdD4U

Mine scored a 9 on this ECG sensor test.

So, time to get this Watch3 replaced, I think...

Und3adShr3d
Journeyman
Options
Thanks for this, I didn't even know the test existed so I'll give it a go and report back here.

This whole situation really is a joke.
0 Likes
Tony_B
Pioneer
Options

Mine is going to be collected for repair - I am now waiting for the courier advice

0 Likes
Und3adShr3d
Journeyman
Options
Who did you speak with to get them to repair the watch? I've been referred to the members app every time and the support is useless.
0 Likes