Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsupported file problem

(Topic created on: 26-11-2020 06:06 PM)
BadWolf
Apprentice
Options

Greetings, 

I recently perchased a 65’ QLED TV model QN65Q6FNAF. I connected a 1TB HardDrive to the modem/router via USB. Yesterday I was playing some video files and had no problems but today I get a message that that file format is not supported. I didn’t do anything to the settings on the TV or the modem/router. I have other video files on the HardDrive which I can play without any problems. The problematic files have .avi extension and in the lower left corner it says the format is “x-msvideo”. 

Edit:

I plugged the Hard Drive directly in the TV via the USB and it still doesn’t want to play those files (the other ones are still fine) but now instead of “x-msvideo” for format it says .avi, which they are but the TV doesn’t want to play them. 

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong or how can I fix it?

19 REPLIES 19
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@BadWolf wrote:

Greetings, 

I recently perchased a 65’ QLED TV model QN65Q6FNAF. I connected a 1TB HardDrive to the modem/router via USB. Yesterday I was playing some video files and had no problems but today I get a message that that file format is not supported. I didn’t do anything to the settings on the TV or the modem/router. I have other video files on the HardDrive which I can play without any problems. The problematic files have .avi extension and in the lower left corner it says the format is “x-msvideo”. 

Edit:

I plugged the Hard Drive directly in the TV via the USB and it still doesn’t want to play those files (the other ones are still fine) but now instead of “x-msvideo” for format it says .avi, which they are but the TV doesn’t want to play them. 

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong or how can I fix it?

Samsung have dropped support for AVI and DTS sound. Bet it was not clear on their advertisement, as quite a few people have found this to their cost. You will have to play these files using a different media player

0 Likes
BadWolf
Apprentice
Options

So how am I able to play some avi files at all if they dropped support?!?

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@BadWolf wrote:

So how am I able to play some avi files at all if they dropped support?!?

Not using the tv USB port. You need a separate media player. Xbox, shield tv, bluray or DVD player or Amazon tv. Even the cheap media player which has file system ntfs if you gave files larger than 4 gig I think. Or send tv back and get one that does support AVI and DTS. 

Paul

0 Likes
BadWolf
Apprentice
Options
I meant that like “How am I playing some avi files and not others”
I guess the problem is not the file format but the codecs. Is there a way to update or add codec compatibility or should I just convert every file to the supported codecs, and does anyone know which is the best program and which codec I am supposed to convert it to?
0 Likes
Pelukonline
Student
Options

Your answer is terrible, along with the Samsung support.

So, get a smart tv but then buy another “smart” device to be able to play videos from USB drives.

SAMSUNG WHAT IS THIS?.

Pelukonline
Student
Options

Still no fix or workaround after more than one year. No native or app to be able to solve this problem.

I’m selling my Samsung tv right away, and not buying another one ever. Tizen is ...@€&%#

Ducu
Explorer
Options

Same issue on 55ru7092uxxh. It is incredible how this worked on my older 48H6400 and doesn't work on the newer model. I am very disappointed. Only way I see is to convers all files on some rudimental format that this TV support. It is a pity I cannot return it. I would avoid buying 7th and 8th series Samsung TVs.

justind0125
First Poster
Options

having the same issue and have to agree that the solution to this issue is total garbage.

I don't understand, I was able to play avi files just fine, and then suddenly stopped working. I have an expensive "smart tv" that can't play simple files that my older not-smart tv could play, I mean that is just ridiculous.

Kilroy55
First Poster
Options

Yeah what bull*****, I like my tv but now have to use my dvd player to watch all my home vcr tape I transferred.