Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung MU8000 colour banding issues

(Topic created on: 28-01-2018 11:53 AM)
Visitor198888
Apprentice
Options

I have the UE55mu8000 tv along with a Samsung K8500 uhd player .

ive recently just bought The Blue Planet 2 4k blue ray as I’ve read great reviews on how it show cases your tv,  I watched this in hd when it was broadcast and noticed a lot of colour banding but I put this down to the broadcast being in Hd, but watching in on my system in 4k uhd it’s just as bad?

i get the same issues when watching Netflix in 4k also.

ive tried all the settings under the sun to be honest, so I’m wondering if it’s a screen fault on my TV?

i have tried new HDMI cables also.  

I’ve include a couple,of pics to highlight the issue.  I’m sure a real 4k recording shouldn’t look like this on a new tv with a 10 bit screen?

Anyone else have this issue?

585386FD-C3C0-4B86-9611-7F3E05548A2B.jpeg96C3A460-B88D-4D30-B52F-D2ED2A505C9A.jpeg

0 Likes
32 REPLIES 32
grifster2016
Journeyman
Options

Vertical Banding on 11 Month old 65" MU8000Vertical Banding on 11 Month old 65" MU8000I contacted John Lewis yesterday via email with the picture above attached. The picture was taken at 5% greyscale to illustrate the vertical banding.  They called me this afternoon and without question immediately booked it in for a repair, to be collected on Monday 14th January. They also arranged for the repair company to offer a replacement TV whilst it's being repaired, though it won't be a SMART TV.

It's such a shame because I love the TV overall. The colours are punchy and the UHD 4K pictures are vivid and outstanding. However, in low light, standard definition and some fast moving scenes the banding is obvious.

Let's see how this plays out. Will keep you updated.

0 Likes
grifster2016
Journeyman
Options

The TV has been returned by the repair company after 1 week with a brand new screen. The original problem of LED banding has largely been resolved with the new screen. However, one problem has been replaced by another. We now have significant Backlight Bleeding at the bottom of the panel. :shocked-face-with-exploding-head: 

Why the TV repair company didn't run a full check on the screen before bringing it back, I do not know. Not happy. I've now contacted John Lewis once again for them to come and collect it.

Backlight Bleed1_New Panel.jpg

0 Likes
Visitor198888
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

Thats pretty bad hey, I wouldn’t be happy with that either, what person would think that to be acceptable on a T V costing that much? 

i had that problem on a few iPads and it really bugged me, apple replaced it 3 times in the end,  and that was just on a small screen,  seems to be a bit of a think on some led screens I think,

well good luck again, hopefully when you get it back this time it will be ok, I would check the set from top to toe too, you kind of lose faith in them when things like this happen. 

0 Likes