Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung MU8000 colour banding issues

(Topic created on: 28-01-2018 11:53 AM)
Visitor198888
Apprentice
Options

I have the UE55mu8000 tv along with a Samsung K8500 uhd player .

ive recently just bought The Blue Planet 2 4k blue ray as I’ve read great reviews on how it show cases your tv,  I watched this in hd when it was broadcast and noticed a lot of colour banding but I put this down to the broadcast being in Hd, but watching in on my system in 4k uhd it’s just as bad?

i get the same issues when watching Netflix in 4k also.

ive tried all the settings under the sun to be honest, so I’m wondering if it’s a screen fault on my TV?

i have tried new HDMI cables also.  

I’ve include a couple,of pics to highlight the issue.  I’m sure a real 4k recording shouldn’t look like this on a new tv with a 10 bit screen?

Anyone else have this issue?

585386FD-C3C0-4B86-9611-7F3E05548A2B.jpeg96C3A460-B88D-4D30-B52F-D2ED2A505C9A.jpeg

0 Likes
32 REPLIES 32
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Sounds like a problem with TV. Your need to report it to your retailer as soon as possible. 

Paul

0 Likes
MrTugBoat87
Journeyman
Options

Hi Mate,

Did you end up doing anything about this? I have similar issues with my MU8000 too.

Cheers,

Mark

0 Likes
Visitor198888
Apprentice
Options

Hi Mark 

No, I didn’t get anywhere with the problem, the blue planet 4K blu Ray was the worst by far for some reason,  the more I read up on issues like this it’s seems to be with certain TV brands,  but I couldn’t find another owner with my problem. So I’ve just left it for now, the shop I bought it from gave me a new hdmi cable priced at £25 for free but that didn’t help either 😞

what movies have you noticed it on?

regards

dave

0 Likes
MrTugBoat87
Journeyman
Options

Hi dave,

gutted to hear that you you had issues to mate.

my issues seems to be more about vertical banding and dirty image over anything else. I’ve changed me TV 3 times now and every time the issue has either been slightly better or in my instance now, worse.

ill attach a photo so you can see. For me, I get a thick vertical darker bar down the left central side of the screen during some colours. 

Ive kicked off, these are not cheap TVs and I know even the QLED and OLED suffer from problems too but the service has been poor. Samsung have even refused to help with this issue saying there isn’t one but I got through to a helpful chap who agreed there was one. Hoping for another change as I am only 7 months in my warranty and for a better result.

in terms of quality, netflix 4K seems to be poor for me. Amazon Prime 4K looks great and YouTube 4K looks amazing.

i got a few UHD DVDS that looks good but nothing looks as good as the store demo mode on the TV. 

Can see it quite vividly on this oneCan see it quite vividly on this one

To the left of the down arrowTo the left of the down arrow

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@MrTugBoat87 wrote:

Hi dave,

gutted to hear that you you had issues to mate.

my issues seems to be more about vertical banding and dirty image over anything else. I’ve changed me TV 3 times now and every time the issue has either been slightly better or in my instance now, worse.

ill attach a photo so you can see. For me, I get a thick vertical darker bar down the left central side of the screen during some colours. 

Ive kicked off, these are not cheap TVs and I know even the QLED and OLED suffer from problems too but the service has been poor. Samsung have even refused to help with this issue saying there isn’t one but I got through to a helpful chap who agreed there was one. Hoping for another change as I am only 7 months in my warranty and for a better result.

in terms of quality, netflix 4K seems to be poor for me. Amazon Prime 4K looks great and YouTube 4K looks amazing.

i got a few UHD DVDS that looks good but nothing looks as good as the store demo mode on the TV. 

Can see it quite vividly on this oneCan see it quite vividly on this one

To the left of the down arrowTo the left of the down arrow

I had a 65ks9500 and it was  lovely, but would not record scheduled programs so Samsung replaced it with the q9f and how poor it was. Banding,  shadowing around the edges and HDR was duller than sdr. I sent pictures to samsung and here. The forum agreed how bad it look but samsung said it ws within spec. After further angry emails Samsung CEO agreed to give me a full refund. 

Paul

0 Likes
Visitor198888
Apprentice
Options

Hi Mark,

Yes, I can see what you mean,  it’s quite obvious to me, I don’t see how they can say that’s not a problem? As you say, these are not cheap Tv’s.  It’s odd as I’ve not really read any bad reviews of the set, and feedback on sites that sell it always seem good.   I’ve had a lot going on lately so I’ve just left mine and not kicked up a big fuss as yet.  

I’m based in the uk and the store said they would take a look but I’d hav to get the tv to the shop which would be very difficult in my car, I’ll have to see, I’ve not noticed any banding on mine as bad as the blue planet series of disks, so I just don’t watch them! It’s the worst offender for me. 

Your problem is visable on just plain screens. I would press to get that changed. It’s always a worry you get one worse. But it’s a case of can you carry on with the one you have? 

Regards

David

0 Likes
MrTugBoat87
Journeyman
Options

Hi Paul,

I am glad they ended up replacing yoru unit but disapointed you had bad issues with the apparently more powerful TV. This will be my 4th change ( if they change ) i originally got the MU6400 back in October and paid for the upgrade due to issues with the banding. They have used the " In Spec" with me but as you can see from the photos, this just isnt in banding, theres a big chunk on there!

I am hoping they will offer me a replacement too but i got mine through AO and not through Samsung.

Cheers,

Mark

0 Likes
MrTugBoat87
Journeyman
Options

Hi David,

Same,  i couldnt find any reveiws where they pick this issues up, i think its mainly down to what video they use to reveiw them on. Probably something very bright in colour so it doesnt show the grey banding issues we have seen.

I would 100% go with going through SAMSUNG and the shop and just keep going until you get a resolution. I cannt believe the shop is asking you to take it back, thats very unfair of them. I would even argue that with them! Im based in the UK too, down in sunny old Berkshire. For my sins, im a Harry Potter fan, so i have the UHD collection, i tried it last night and it looked OK but the dark scenes again, the banding was noticable.  Once i have seen it, i cant carry on, my wife hardly noticed it on the last one i had (only last week then it was repaired) but even she can see it on this one.

Hoping they will come back to me today! 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
I think after that many trys I would give up on the Samsung. There seems to be general feeling that the LG B7 is the one to go for as it has dropped in price. A chart showing its capibilties is on the ks refund thread.
Paul
0 Likes