Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QN95A - Random black screen persists

(Topic created on: 01-11-2021 04:02 PM)
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Anyone having such an issue whereby the TV just goes black screen, usually a few times in succession.

Have checked the one connect cables and hdmi same issue, affects Sky Q which never had such an issue with my prior Samsung TV.
Regards Obsydian - (Car & Tech Evangelist)

MY DEVICES: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], Buds Pro2, M70A 32 & 43”; [Monitor], Smart Tags, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptop] / FAMILY DEVICES: ZFlip3, ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, S8 Ultra; S7+ [Tablet],  Buds Pro, iPhone 12, iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2 [Tablets] / HOME DEVICES: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears], MC28M6075 and MC32K7055 [Microwave], Jet 75 Complete (Vacuum), Samsung Level [Speaker]
18 REPLIES 18
BrightSmith
Apprentice
Options

I changed HDMI cables and for a while it seemed to work. Then after a few days the black screens returned. I also changed the HDMI port which went ok for a few days... until the black screens popped up again. At a certain moment the TV gave a HDMI cable error (despite all my HDMI tests were fine) so I gather it has SOMETHING to do with the  HDMI connection...

0 Likes
Koysii
Journeyman
Options

Well I just received the black screen again earlier on today. I'm going to look into some super premium hdmi cable. This Amazon basics gold one says with hdmi ethernet. My previous one was working perfect for  10 years and still works except with the Samsung QN95A but any other device it's fine.  

0 Likes
Koysii
Journeyman
Options

I can't recreate the problem but could it be this "input signal plus" in general>external device manager>input signal plus? Or what about hdmi CEC anynet I know I had that disabled on my previous TV as I prefer the Nvidia Shields remote and had a different soundbar attached via optical. I've got it CEC enabled on the QN95a as due to earc and using the Samsung q600 soundbar. 

0 Likes
Koysii
Journeyman
Options

Ive bought an 8k 48gps hdmi 2.1 cable and tried it on hdmi ports 1- 3 and now on port 4 and not so hopeful.  The black screen still happens randomly. The TV shows an error of no hdmi attached and then the black screen of death happens or the back screen just happens without any messages on TV. This seems to happen randomly whether I'm watching anything or not. Is there any Samsung tech support going to acknowledge this problem and provide some assistance. I've tried changing hdmi ports, changed cables, tested cables using the support hdmi troubleshooting built into TV (no problem with cables detected), tried removing the one connect invisible cable and reconnecting - no change. None of these have fixed the very real problem. It must be a problem with the hdmi ports on the one connect box. 

BrightSmith
Apprentice
Options

The thing that I've observed is that the black screens increase over time. At a point a 'reset' is needed.

Three days ago I've powered off the TV, soundbar and Shield TV, and plugged the hdmi cable in port 4.
I've raised the One Connect Box an inch above the ground to improve air flow. I always shut down the TV with the Samsung remote, not the Shield remote. I haven't had a black screen since then. However, I just KNOW that the black screen will return at some point. I guess that completely powering off everything helps resetting the hdmi infrastructure (?). What you could do therefore, is put the TV, soundbar, and any other connected devices on a power switch with an on/off button. Just switch off the power completely every night and this will maybe solve the black screen issues.

0 Likes
Koysii
Journeyman
Options

It seems like the hdmi ports 1-3 are the problem. As since changing my shields hdmi to hdmi2.1 at 48gps and to port 4, I've had no random black screens at all. I've not switched off the TV soundbar shield etc. My soundbar is attached to port 3 and shield is now going to stay on port 4. 

0 Likes
Rasher77
Student
Options

When you say shield what do you mean ?   Sorry shield means zero to me lol

Ive had this since Dec 21 when I got the TV.   It randomely goes black for couple of secs then comes back on.   Maybe couple of times an hour.   Samsung support are less than helpful.  They go through pointless resets and checking basic settings.   I called a secopnd time and its as if they had no fault logged from the previous call so had to explain all over again.   Going to call the shop where I bought it off online but Im guessingf they will direct me to Samsung support.   It appears to be the one connect hdmi ports are maybe poor quality and not up to the 2.1 stanmdard ???    No expert but this is unacceptable.

PS  I have a Virgin 360 box connected and Samsung soundbar through Arc port 

0 Likes
Koysii
Journeyman
Options

Sorry I meant Nvidia shield TV 2019 pro which is a Google/Android TV box. See this thread there's so many people with the problem. https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/samsung-qn95a-games-consoles-blacking-out-intermittently/td-p... 

0 Likes
StockTME
First Poster
Options

I had same issue. Happens when I use game mode, or signal plus in general.

Scenario is trying to use 120hz 4k on a pc. Lasts tests were run using forced gsync on PC which makes TV run using VRR.

Issue also appears on ps5.

On PC seems that using different cable affects the issue greatly

Samsung seems to have signal test under settings->support->manual test

Test using HDMI1 to PC. No other cables connected

PS5 cable seems to fail signal test. It also produces blackouts quite frequent.

15 euro CERTIFIED 1 meter 4k 120HZ ultra high speed cable. Fails signal test. Produces blackouts in lesser frequency then ps5.

Good HDMI cable 40 euros. AudioQuest HDMI (M) - HDMI (M) 1m Ultra High Speed with Ethernet 8K-10K AQ PEARL 48G . Passes signal test, so far no observed dropouts Tested for 6 hours. 

Il update in few weeks of use. Also going to connect other devices like ps5 via hdmi and have them running same time over one connect.

My conclusion is that samsung failed to make a robust solution somewhere and that good HDMI cables are just compensating for that failure.

Good to know that there is at least a fix.

Iv also seen report with premium optical hdmi cables that can solve longer issue over longer distances even 20 meters on a same tv. But those are like 200 euros.

0 Likes