!-- End Google Optimize -->
Support

Open search

KS Owners refund

Highlighted
Black Belt 

Do all you good people who bought a 2016 Samsung TV know Samsung have stopped supporting it. The promised they would support HLG (BBC Iplayer HDR). This was in the Dec 2016 Trusted Reviews and What Hi Fi. They have not and if you had bought a Panasonic or LG 2016 set you would be able to watch Iplayer Blue Planet 2 in glorious HLG. This is a big issue because HLG looks like the standard for all over the air broadcasting. Samsung are not even supporting a 4K update to Iplayer. The reason looks like it will cost just 5 cents or pence per unit. So my telly I bought in Jan 2017 is deemed as out of date by Samsung!!!!!!

You wrote in your Dec 2016 issue that Samsung were supporting HLG in their 2016 models. Do you know that Samsung have supported their 2017 models but not the 2016 models. I know because the BBC IPlayer Blue Planet 2 will not play in 4K or HLG. It's not good considering Panasonic and LG both do support their 2016 models. It means my KS model I bought in Jan is now deemed out of date by Samsung. It looks like their are royalty fees which Samsung will not pay! Not good.


All you people in the UK can return your KS TVs IF you bought it for the use of the smartthings Extend that will never be coming out for our TVs. ***** is how.

 

Tell them you want a full refund because they promised that if you bought a KS TV you would get a FREE Smartthings Extend. They proof you will need is easy to find and is the reason you bought this TV.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I bought mine from J Lewis and the Samsung Extend addvert is still there https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

 

If you bought your KS TV from currys http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

 

They both say that you will get a free smartthings extend USB dongle.

Now send you TVs back for a full refund Smiley Happy

 

 

All those who bought a Samsung TV in 2016 may have claim for miss selling. It basically means that all you folks who bought the 2016 Samsung units have 2 choices. After Dec 2016 and if you had seen any articles that are press release's about HLG support and that influenced you decision to buy may have a case. For all those owners who read the info from the retailers on their web pages and saw and was influenced by the promise of the smart connect which has not been honoured, then you also have a case for miss selling. If you all spread this in all available media then I am sure the retailers would put pressure on to Samsung to correct this. If nothing else you could end up with nice shiny LG or Panasonic, or the new Philips that all are HLG BBC iplayer compatible, and with the HDR10 plus that again Samsung have still not implemented, you may be best with LG and Dolby Vision.

Also take a copy of the retailers web page before they change the description.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I will try to explain how to get a refund for miss selling (seen how much the LG's have come down). I followed this way and got a full refund or a JS8000.

You need to show that you asked or believed that or influenced by claims made about the capabilities of the TV. With BBC Iplayer HLG it's from the Trusted reviews and What Hi Fi, and any other publications and if you asked the retailer.

 

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#6locceZo3Zf8yi5T.99

you can show you had been informed.

It's different with the smart connect as that is advertised on the main retailers web sites,

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

As the donngle's have not turned up you now claim miss selling, so either go to your retailer or email them with the web page, and explain why you think you were miss sold. Also phone Citizens Advice 03444 111 444 and raise a case (this also gets past on to Trading Standards). Explain that the retailer informed you off the capabilities via their web page information, and either show the page printer or the link, as above.

They will advise and link you to some template letters to send to your retailer.

I had to send a letter of intent to take legal action (template from Citizens Advice) against Curry's but then they gave me a refund.

So mention all the promises from Samsung full support for HLG, Smart Connect, and HDR10+

It will cost nothing to ask and again may bring some pressure on to Samsung.

2,549 REPLIES 2,549
Highlighted

From keeping up with these threads I think I am very lucky to get what I did from Curry's.

Highlighted

@daleski75 wrote:

From keeping up with these threads I think I am very lucky to get what I did from Curry's.


Looks like they are playing hard ball.  Trading standards replied to me in writing and told me they are starting investigation into the Smart connect. Someone may have start the court process but again I very much doubt it will get there. 

 

Paul

Highlighted

Just wanted to add if anyone wants any of my emails which helped me get £549 from curry's in vouchers, pm me and I will be more than happy to share.

Highlighted

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

From keeping up with these threads I think I am very lucky to get what I did from Curry's.


Looks like they are playing hard ball.  Trading standards replied to me in writing and told me they are starting investigation into the Smart connect. Someone may have start the court process but again I very much doubt it will get there. 

 

Paul


I think Currys and John Lewis are picking up on this now and are probably more determined than ever to stop this from happening anymore or to minimise their expenditure.

Highlighted

@daleski75 wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

From keeping up with these threads I think I am very lucky to get what I did from Curry's.


Looks like they are playing hard ball.  Trading standards replied to me in writing and told me they are starting investigation into the Smart connect. Someone may have start the court process but again I very much doubt it will get there. 

 

Paul


I think Currys and John Lewis are picking up on this now and are probably more determined than ever to stop this from happening anymore or to minimise their expenditure.


which is bizarre as of course they should then seek their compensation from samsung for causing this mess, but its a lot easier to dump this on us.

 

plus if they play hardball and one of us takes them to court and they lose, how much more would that cost them? but they dont work like this.

Highlighted

I think my vouchers have arrived at my home so by the time I get back my wife would of spent them lol

Highlighted

@daleski75 wrote:

I think my vouchers have arrived at my home so by the time I get back my wife would of spent them lol


Wife was trolling me!

Highlighted

Hi All,

 

Just had the latest reply from John Lewis - very interesting. John Lewis apologise but actually don't offer anything directly although the reply from Samsung talks about supplying a hub. Any thoughts?

 

"I am contacting you in regards to the issue with the SmartThings dongle with the Samsung UE49KS8000 SUHD HDR 1,000 4K Ultra HD Quantum Dot Smart TV, 49” with Freeview HD, Playstation Now & 360° Design, UHD Premium you bought via ******. We would like to apologise for the inconvenience this has caused you.We have received feedback from our supplier which is stated below.

 

"I have spoken to the SmartThings team. They confirm for cases where a
customer has purchased a 2016 TV and were expecting to get it to perform
the functions of a SmartThings hub , SmartThings can provide a hub to
that customer instead.

 

It should be noted that a SmartThings hub would not deliver the functionality
that the below copy suggested was possible. The originally promised
‘embedded’ SmartThings hub would have delivered control directly from the
TV screen whereas a Hub would need to be controlled from a mobile or
tablet. It is also important to know that control over the TV is limited,
for instance it is not possible to switch the TV ON from standby.

 

Many of the ‘mis-selling’ enquiries are linked in to other areas with
SmartThings being just one thing that customers feel we have let them down
on (BBC iPlayer HLG and HDR10+). It is however the only thing that would
stand up as mis-selling because it was promised in advertising and remained
so during the retail life of the product. From the enquiries I have looked
at only a small proportion of customers really understood what the
SmartThings extend proposition actually was, in some cases its purpose has
been misinterpreted to the point where the customer thinks that this is
going to give them UHD Content on BBC iPlayer".

 

Thank you for contacting John Lewis and if you require any further details please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely,"

Highlighted

@rosscouk wrote:

Hi All,

 

Just had the latest reply from John Lewis - very interesting. John Lewis apologise but actually don't offer anything directly although the reply from Samsung talks about supplying a hub. Any thoughts?

 

"I am contacting you in regards to the issue with the SmartThings dongle with the Samsung UE49KS8000 SUHD HDR 1,000 4K Ultra HD Quantum Dot Smart TV, 49” with Freeview HD, Playstation Now & 360° Design, UHD Premium you bought via ******. We would like to apologise for the inconvenience this has caused you.We have received feedback from our supplier which is stated below.

 

"I have spoken to the SmartThings team. They confirm for cases where a
customer has purchased a 2016 TV and were expecting to get it to perform
the functions of a SmartThings hub , SmartThings can provide a hub to
that customer instead.

 

It should be noted that a SmartThings hub would not deliver the functionality
that the below copy suggested was possible. The originally promised
‘embedded’ SmartThings hub would have delivered control directly from the
TV screen whereas a Hub would need to be controlled from a mobile or
tablet. It is also important to know that control over the TV is limited,
for instance it is not possible to switch the TV ON from standby.

 

Many of the ‘mis-selling’ enquiries are linked in to other areas with
SmartThings being just one thing that customers feel we have let them down
on (BBC iPlayer HLG and HDR10+). It is however the only thing that would
stand up as mis-selling because it was promised in advertising and remained
so during the retail life of the product. From the enquiries I have looked
at only a small proportion of customers really understood what the
SmartThings extend proposition actually was, in some cases its purpose has
been misinterpreted to the point where the customer thinks that this is
going to give them UHD Content on BBC iPlayer".

 

Thank you for contacting John Lewis and if you require any further details please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely,"


They have admitted miss selling

 

"it is however the only thing that would stand up as mis-selling because it was promised in advertising and remained
so during the retail life of the product."

 

The smart hub they are offering is just a £60 Smart things hub. You will not be able to connect your TV to the Internet of Things without the smart dongle which Samsung have said they are not supplying. That means you were miss sold or the TV was misrepresented as per the consumer regs and you can ask for a replacement or refund. I like the way they are trying to confuse the issue but it is clear in what the are admitting to. I suggest your reply is thank you and as you acknowledge the misrepresentation of your TV , you request a full refund or replacement to the same spec as your TV.

I think you are there,

Paul

 

Highlighted

Thanks paul1277 - so I was considering going with;

 

Dear Sir or Madam,

 

Thank for your email of 30/01/18 in which you state “It is however the only thing that would stand up as mis-selling because it was promised in advertising and remained so during the retail life of the product”. Therefore as the aforementioned Samsung Smartthings Extend USB adapter has not been supplied, as advertised by John Lewis, along with my Samsung UE49KS8000, and under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, all goods supplied by a trader to a consumer should match any description upon which has been relied to make your purchase. Therefore, as a result of this miss selling by John Lewis, I am entitled to a full refund of £1307.50 or a replacement of my choosing.

 

Can you please confirm my refund for said amount at your earliest convenience?

 

Yours sincerely

Top Liked Authors