Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Dark scenes so dark they're unwatchable in HDR mode on UE43TU7000KXXU

(Topic created on: 12-02-2023 12:57 PM)
scchipli
Explorer
Options

It is worst on the in-built Disney+ app (the Star Wars movies + The Mandalorian scenes are so dark you almost cannot see anything, as well as Marvel's Black Panther!). It is also noticable on Amazon Prime for shows such as Hunters in 4K mode. When you select the non-4K version of Hunters the picture is lovely and bright!. Also occurs on the Apple TV app, again very dark for 4K HDR films but lovely and bright for the ones only available in HD. Luckily my Netflix subscription is only HD so that picture is not affected and is great. All these issues are with the in-built apps as I bought this TV so I wouldn't require an external streaming box.

In the absence of it actually working correctly, is there a simple menu option to disable HDR?

47 REPLIES 47
Members_3bSUPqI
First Poster
Options

Same here tu9000 86 inch. All way to dark.

0 Likes
Jamiekinman4116
First Poster
Options

This helped me somewhat. I wasn't able to change the gamma setting but I increased the contrast enhance to high, the colour tone to cool and the shadow detail to 5.

It's better, but far from perfect. 

0 Likes
MYLEFTKNEE
First Poster
Options

I was having the same problems, it appears HDR doesn’t like the Filmmaker setting in picture mode. Changed picture mode to movie and picture is perfect. 

0 Likes
Jpascual1
First Poster
Options

How do you update to firmware 1302? My tv says software date is 2002 and there is no later versions. Can this be correct?

0 Likes
Macc2020
Apprentice
Options

Not sure but my Sammy is 2001.

Also can never find out what is in the updates which is a pain but i know one thing and that is they still have not fixed the darkness in HDR.

jpleroux2
First Poster
Options

Is there still no solve to this? We have a 2020 Frame and have the exact issue. Disney+ and Apple TV are unwatchable on the smart hub. Samsung support had me factory reset which did nothing. It’s so frustrating.

0 Likes
Nyhtänköljä
Student
Options

Try this, worked for me, i put it on maximum (5).

"Shadow Detail is an option in the Samsung picture settings that lets you make darker areas of the image appear lighter, increasing the detail within those areas."

0 Likes
Wncgeek
Student
Options

Shadow is not in many of the Samsung televisions. 

0 Likes