Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC iplayer problems

(Topic created on: 26-04-2024 08:47 PM)
mikeb5
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

Looking through the forums, I'm assuming no one has still come up with a fix for the appalling BBC iplayer App.

I have the UE65CU8500 which I bought over Xmas and am more than happy with the TV other than this. But have these problems with this app:

1. Picture Clarity settings don't work EXCEPT for any UHD program which they are fine.
2. Judder on any HD transmission but again fine with UHD.
3. Pretty appalling picture quality in general except for UHD.

To put it simply, the app appears to be not really fit for purpose other than for UHD programs.

My fix at the moment involves watching all UHD stuff on iplayer on the Samsung app, and all normal HD programs on my Firestick 4k (which doesn't have UHD for the BBC app).

Other than buying a Firestick Max which I can't really warrant at the moment just for iplayer this seems to be the only workaround!

I've found the so-called 'urgently seeking solution' Samsung post, but it's hardly urgent if I appear to be seeing the same sort of issues from two years ago!

Thanks

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26
Trev_A
First Poster
Options

I just bought a BD-H5500/XU on the basis that BBC currently list it as supporting iPlayer and the Samsung product page specifically mentions iPlayer. But when clicking on the iPlayer app it displays the message "Sorry, this application is not currently available on your device". I've updated the firmware to no effect. Anyone suggest a fix?

0 Likes
Members_kpzgKDa
Journeyman
Options

I have just sent Samsung an email regarding this issue no update as yet it is time there was an update issued

Members_kpzgKDa
Journeyman
Options

I have raised this issue on Twitter or X if you want  to call it that.  I certainly, would not have bought this TV if I knew about this before hand.

Members_kpzgKDa
Journeyman
Options

Any update on this?  or estimated time I have just bought a new TV (8500) I am considering its return as not fit for purpose. 

Can you confirm it is being delt with  ?

0 Likes
Members_kpzgKDa
Journeyman
Options

Can we have an update on this problem please?  its very annoying not having any news 

0 Likes
Members_kpzgKDa
Journeyman
Options

Samsung have told me this morning 10th April that the iplayer issues are solved, this is not the case as far as I am concerned, what are the findings of others ? Their comments were also contact the BBC !! sounds like a fob off to me ......

mikeb5
Journeyman
Options

No change here. To use your words 'fob off' is what I suspect it is. I can't see how it would have been solved, when there has been no TV software update since I bought the television in December, and the iplayer app has not been updated since March 2023 according to the Samsung app store!

sasquartch
Journeyman
Options

No change here

Come on Samsung. Even my 10 year old Humax PVR works fine.

Used to really rate Samsung, not so sure now

0 Likes
Wonka70
Apprentice
Options

Nope. Changed DNS to 1.1.1.1 but the lip synch is often out and I need to pause to rectify. It’s Samsung. Do they not read these or take note?

0 Likes
KatyP1
First Poster
Options

I’ve been watching iPlayer on my old 2013 Samsung for years and it was great. Just set up my new purchase of a 2023 model and iPlayer is now almost unwatchable! Blurred, poor colours, too dark, it has to be a Samsung problem. I am sooooo disappointed and wish I hadn’t given my old one away now. I’d have sent this one back but itvx and Now TV can’t be used on the old one.

0 Likes