Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio output keeps switching to TV Speakers

(Topic created on: 18-08-2021 08:14 AM)
elFarto
Student
Options

I've just bought a UE43AU8000, and I'm having an issue with the audio setup. It's connected to a Sony DAV-DZ260 DVD Home Theater System via HDMI (on the ARC port) and Optical.

The main issue is that when you switch the audio output on the TV from 'TV Speakers' to 'Receiver (HDMI)', it will switch back to 'TV Speakers' in a few seconds. In the few seconds it is outputting to 'Receiver (HDMI)' everything is working perfectly, audio is being outputted over the optical cable, and volume control is going over HDMI. Switching it to 'Optical' output does stick, but obviously I lose volume control.

Now I realise that the receiver is pretty old now, and doesn't support ARC or eARC, but the TV is capable of doing exactly what I want, it just won't stay there.

Does anyone know how to fix this, and get it to stay on the 'Receiver (HDMI)' output setting?

202 REPLIES 202
Marc Foreman
Apprentice
Options

Thank you @Stan22 and @Koopa210  - I can report that since I've installed the firmware update for the av amp, all is working well. There's only a minor thing related to eARC whereby although the amp switches to audio input from the TV when the TV's running its own apps, it does not switch back to the original input once TV audio is halted and I switch back to the AV input on the Samsung. This is a minor glitch and now I know about it I just manually switch the amp back to the relevant input. Again, I'm assuming this is a firmware issue on the amp.

I DID see some issues with connecting a soundbar to a separate TV via Wifi but identified this as an issue with my BT Smart Hub 2 wifi array, something I've now ditched in favour of a TP-Link GX90 which is working just fine.

Much appreciated, folks.

Marc

0 Likes
crashburn162
Apprentice
Options

I have a problem I have this setup: Samsung S95B in HDMI3(e-ARC) hooked up to a Yamaha RX-A2050 , then I have a PC hooked up to the Yamaha and a TV setup top box also HDMI1 and HDMI2 . The TV recognise the yamaha receiver and all HDMI CEC is turned on. Everything works great but when I swtich off the tv it turns off the yamaha receiver and when I swtich it back on it starts it waits for a while turns on the yamaha receiver and then it turns to TV speaker. This exact setup was hooked to an LG C7 so the problem is the tv. Has anyone had this problem ? Everytime I swtich on the tv it doesn't immediately switch on the receiver it waits for around 10-15 seconds then the receiver powers on but the sound is on TV speaker I can change it manually but it's very annoying having to do it every time . If I switch to TV source then the tv and receiver switch on instantly and the sound stays on the Yamaha so it has to do something with the source software and since it doesn't switch the receiver instantly the tv reverts back to TV speaker.

0 Likes
dvg1
First Poster
Options

This above worked for me with a slight addition.

Settings - General - External Device Manager - Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) to OFF (no green blob).

Back in the Settings - Sound I noticed the option for Receiver (HDMI) had disappeared completely.

I then entered Settings - General - External Device Manager  -  Input Signal Plus. I set all  3 HDMI ports listed (for me  numbered 1,2 and 3 with ARC being 3) to ON. For me this ON condition is marked by a green blob.

When I returned to Settings I noticed that the Receiver (HDMI) option had reappeared in the Sound Options.

Exited back to Settings, Entered Sound. Selected Receiver (HDMI) for my Cambridge Audio soundbar. Observed the dancing barchart. Exited back to settings. This time instead of almost instantly resetting itself back to TV Speakers, it stayed set to Receiver (HDMI).

I was able to change the volume on the Cambridge Audio Soundbar using the Cambridge Audio remote and also my Samsung Remotes (old type and simplified type).

Before all this I had tried another bunch of actions , including Factory Resetting the TV, setting up my Wifi on the TV afresh, turning off all bluetooth devices, manually trying to download a firmware update (none available), etc - all to no avail.

My TV is a Samsung 55-inch RU7400 Dynamic Crystal Colour HDR Smart 4K TV from December 2019. HDMI ports 1 and 2 are occupied by an Amazon Fire Cube and a Virgin Media TV box.

Prior to all this effort I had a workaround of using a Toslink cable from the TV to the Soundbar, or of using the Soundbars Bluetooth facility to link to the TV Bluetooth, but it is convenient to be able to use the HDMI ARC on the TV.

0 Likes
JBP3
Explorer
Options

Unfortunately, doesn't work with a Samsung R5 soundbar setup. This workaround eliminates the soundbar as an audio option. It does use the soundbar as the TV speaker...but it still reverts back to the original TV speakers like before.

The only thing that works for me is entering and exiting the TV Device Manager settings menu. Everything works fine at that point; however, I have to do this EVERY time I start the TV.

This will be the last Samsung television that I buy. Terrible tech support.

0 Likes
T Conroy
First Poster
Options

This is such a drag! I have the Samsung TV going into a Yamaha receiver and every time I turn the TV off and back on it defaults to TV Speakers, cannot fix it. When I manually change to the receiver it works great. I've read this entire thread and Samsung doesn't give a darn about this issue. I've tried every suggestion in this thread and nothing works.  I tried support myself..."reset both the TV and receiver. Not working, you'll need to have it serviced" BS, this thread says it all. My TV is from 2019 so not returning for me. Wish Samsung would come with a solution

0 Likes
crashburn162
Apprentice
Options

The only way for now is you have to power on the receiver first and then the TV then it works perfectly, although sometimes it says tv speaker but the sound is coming from the receiver. Never buying a samsung tv again I have LG, Hisense , TCL none of them have this kind of problem with a receiver bee it yamaha or others.

0 Likes
NOYB99
First Poster
Options

Had this issue with my Samsung tv too. HDMI sound not available out of the blue. It’s not the receiver & it’s not the wire. It’s the TV. It’s a bug & there is no specific fix. Samsung will have you buy a new tv hub. It’s not that either.

Solution? Buy an LG. I have one & I don’t have any of these nonsense issues.

0 Likes
Marc Foreman
Apprentice
Options

Since I switched to connecting the soundbar via HDMI cable, this particular issue hasn't reappeared. However, I do occasionally get a cluster of days where turning the TV on as a result of starting my Sky Q box will cause the TV to emit no sound from that input. The workaround I've found is to go to the TV's "home" menu, and then pick a different valid input with audio, such as Netflix. Once it plays the Netflix intro and prompts "who's watching", I can then go back to Home, and pick Sky with sound working correctly.

It is, without any doubt, a bug in the TV's software.

(And if the Samsung's picture wasn't so ***** good, I'd switch to LG in a heartbeat!).

0 Likes
Xero711
Apprentice
Options

I believe I finally figured this out for my television and wanted to share. My setup is:

- Samsung Q80R TV

- Yamaha RX-V371 Receiver (connected to HDMI ARC port on TV. Will upgrade one day, but still works great!)

- PS5, Switch, & PC (plugged into non-ARC HDMI ports on TV.)

- PS3, SNES Classic, Wii, & Xbox 360 (plugged into HDMI ports on receiver.)

I used the Universal Remote option (in Sources) to setup the receiver as the main sound output. On the TV, I have Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) on and Intelligent Mode off. On the receiver, HDMI Connect and ARC settings are both on. For the PS5, I tweaked the CEC settings to not turn on and off the PS5 with the TV power, so it only turns on when I select the source.  

(Edit: Content removed. I thought Game enhancer was the issue and it was not.)

0 Likes
Xero711
Apprentice
Options

Well everyone, my troubleshooting with the Game Mode setting appears to have been a coincidence. My setup seems to work properly most of the time, but intermittently reverts back to the TV speakers/not powering on/off the receiver.  If I find out how to get it working 100% of the time, I’ll follow-up.

0 Likes