Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-12-2018 10:34 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
georgeK1
Pioneer
Options

There is something strange. A few days ago I was 116MB.

I opened my tv and I see 69mb. WOW.

After navigating to apps the space went to 89mb (!).

The same day Samsung guy came. He made actions with a USB stick and removed the eManual (around 90mb). The TV started in reset mode and I had to setup everything from scratch. When TV booted I had like 180mb (89 I had + 90 from the eManual).

I tried to reset hub and factory reset to see if the eManual will come back. It didn't. But after TV reset the space is 217MB. How is that possible? The space is going up and down.

0 Likes
chribonn
Pioneer
Options

@Anita_Merlin wrote:

There are two groups you can join; 

Samsung NU7xxx storage

FixOurSamsung NU74xx

Guys,

Such forums are very important to make the world aware of what is happening.  I encourage you to join and to participate in them.  The more people we can get interested / involved in this the higher the likelihood of having a resolution of sorts.

We are compiling a list of people who have similar problem TVs. If you would like to be on the list please email fixoursamsung@gmail.com. We only require the following information: your name, Samsung TV model Where you purchased it and date (Year / Month). We also store your email address.

GDPR alignment: You can ask to be removed at any time.

Chris

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@chribonn wrote:

@Anita_Merlin wrote:

There are two groups you can join; 

Samsung NU7xxx storage

FixOurSamsung NU74xx

Guys,

Such forums are very important to make the world aware of what is happening.  I encourage you to join and to participate in them.  The more people we can get interested / involved in this the higher the likelihood of having a resolution of sorts.

We are compiling a list of people who have similar problem TVs. If you would like to be on the list please email fixoursamsung@gmail.com. We only require the following information: your name, Samsung TV model Where you purchased it and date (Year / Month). We also store your email address.

GDPR alignment: You can ask to be removed at any time.

Chris

Hi Chris, as you're compiling this useful data, I think it might also be useful to compile a similar list of ex-Samsung owners who have successfully got rid of their TVs due to this issue. If nothing else it would be useful ammunition when approaching retailers who then deny all knowledge of the issue. They could be told that they've already swapped out or refunded x numbers of TVs because of it.

In addition to the above information, the ex-Samsung list could contain:

Month/year when you first noticed the problem?

Month/year to change the TV to a different model or get a refund?

How long was left on the warranty (if applicable)?

In my case:

Model: NU7500

Purchase date: Nov 2018

Retailer: John Lewis

Date issue first noticed: Dec 2018

Date TV refunded: April 2019

Remaining on warranty: 4 years 7 months of JL's 5-year warranty.

I'll email it to the Gmail address if you think this is useful.

There could also be a blacklist of retailers who have refused to help at all, leaving the purchaser with a defective product. I think at the moment this only includes Currys and Argos.

0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

@chribonn wrote:

@georgeK1 wrote:

@Rowley1 wrote:

Update on my situation:

Samsung accredited engineers have called to install 'a new motherboard' on Thursday.

No mention of the part number, or what set it is relevant to. But Thursday is D-day for Samsung and John Lewis

And, no, deleting the e-manual is what I call 'papering over the cracks'

This TV is not fit for purpose in its current state.

Waste of time. I did it and many other users here. Storage will remain the same.

Can you report the TV Firmware version and how much space you have available please?

My engineer comes in the next couple of hours to install a new board

This is my current state from a reset

15906624767941715041914013341787.jpg

15906625410847617911618075061906.jpg

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options
Rowley1
Thanks for this, be interesting if you can get a comment from the engineer. They tend to be more relaxed in offering thoughts when away from the bosses.
0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options
Bellow is the full text from Samsung regarding Smart TV from 2018.
Interesting to read the last paragraph that is highlighted in Bold below

RIDGEFIELD PARK, NJ – June 15, 2018 – At Samsung, we understand how critically important privacy is and will continue to be for our customers. This is why, in 2018, we are working to provide consumers with new and innovative devices that take the home entertainment experience to the next level. While our Smart TVs deliver the great benefits of staying connected, our Privacy and Security teams are working hard to help provide a secure experience for everyone using a Samsung TV.

In an effort to bolster the security of our devices, we are now introducing new security features designed to create a safer online experience with key security enhancements – from browsing the internet on Smart TVs, protecting information users share on websites, and remotely controlling the Smart TV with a mobile device.

Interesting to read the last paragraph that is highlighted in Bold below
Here is an overview of the new security enhancements included in the latest rollout of Samsung’s 2018 Smart TV firmware v1051.2 update.

Safer online experience
The Smart TV firmware update supports a more secure internet browsing experience for the TV which employs enhanced communication methods for data transfer that enables safer internet access.

Multilayer security updates
Updates to our Smart TV platform, which now includes new security enhancements.

• Increased access controls to the Smart TV keyboard. We have enhanced the security controls on the Smart TV keyboard to help protect critical information entered by users, such as usernames and passwords, to access apps and other features from being viewed by others.Enhanced validation measures for remote control of the Smart TV. Remote access to the Smart TV through a user’s device will be authenticated with unique user device identifiers. These measures are designed to limit access to malicious sites, to validate the application programming interfaces (APIs) that allow access to remote devices and to prevent unauthorized or unsecured access to the Smart TV.As we know that consumers value data security as much as their viewing experience, our Privacy and Security teams will continue to evaluate the safety of the online experience in our products, such as the safety of integration with mobile apps.

We are listening and learning from our customers, in order to seamlessly blend security functions that will not inhibit the design and functionality of our Smart TVs.

Protecting consumers’ privacy and the security of our devices is a top priority at Samsung and we continually work to improve our security features. As our new firmware update prepares to rollout, we remind all of our customers to keep their software and applications updated at all times.

0 Likes
georgeK1
Pioneer
Options

May we must record all TVs (model/serial) that people were able to get a refund from store or Samsung, in order to use it for our defence

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

@georgeK1 wrote:

There is something strange. A few days ago I was 116MB.

I opened my tv and I see 69mb. WOW.

After navigating to apps the space went to 89mb (!).

The same day Samsung guy came. He made actions with a USB stick and removed the eManual (around 90mb). The TV started in reset mode and I had to setup everything from scratch. When TV booted I had like 180mb (89 I had + 90 from the eManual).

I tried to reset hub and factory reset to see if the eManual will come back. It didn't. But after TV reset the space is 217MB. How is that possible? The space is going up and down.

Georgek1

What has happened in this post you seem to say the storage is going up.

Has it gone back to down again.

0 Likes
Anita_Merlin
Explorer
Options

Good idea GeorgeK1. Please start a conversation in FixOurSamsung group where we can keep a list.

0 Likes
marcolan
Journeyman
Options

I have not facebook.

Are there amy news about thus issue?

0 Likes