Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 24-01-2020 08:02 AM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Vengeance72
Pioneer
Options

This is what I was afraid of; it's not exhibiting it now, but it seems a really small amount even if I wanted to install some of the additional apps from the store.

I'm just wondering, in all the past 82 pages of threads and 13 (ish) months of history, and naturally one of the previous correspondence mails from the CEO's office, has anyone actually collected a 'list of names' of affected customers or collectively gone to Samsung with the problem? There appear to be lots of people with the issue itself, but it also appears very fragmented, with only a small number getting responses and lots of different responses at that.

I guess what I'm saying is that you have people going to Samsung, people going to JL, people going to Richer, people going to Currys, people going to Crompton and Moore and then the same for other providers. Naturally I would expect Samsung to be addressing this jointly, but there does appear to be a case for a 'joint' approach en masse? and directly to the CEO. (I realise this should be Samsung to correlate, but doesn't appear to be the case or that enough of a message is across the orgnaisation that that is an issue - maybe thats another tack?)

At the end of the day it's almost tantamount and has the hallmark of a class action suit, but the principle appears sound in regard to almost 'delivering a list of disgruntled customers' or getting them to ensure appropriate communiciations? More people i guess may also need to go the CEO route.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Hi, I'm the OP of this thread and I started it after noticing the issue in December 2018 on my NU7500.

To answer your points: 

The way it normally worked is that when the issue became apparent the TV user would complain to their retailer, as the contract is with them and not Samsung. The retailer would then claim it wasn't a fault and refer the user to Samsung Support. Samsung would then play a tedious time wasting game which had a few variations:

1. The TV is designed like that and it's not a fault.

2. It is a fault and we're working on it, but no timescale.

3. This is the first time we've heard of it. It's news to us so we'll investigate the issue and come back to you (they never do).

4. It is a fault and it will fixed in a software update which will happen very soon. When asked when, they never know and it never happens.

5. Use a USB drive to install apps once you run out of space. That will solve the problem.

Those are the main Samsung responses, all equally disingenuous.

The user then goes back to their retailer and through a protracted process of pleading, threats and bloody minded persistence the retailer eventually gives in. However, to my knowledge no retailer has given a refund or exchange without getting a returns number from Samsung. Therefore Samsung must have a comprehensive list of all the returns due to this issue, and even a log of support calls relating to it. Both would provide evidence of the extent of the problem.

Contributors to this thread have come from across Europe over the past year, including Russia. As you may have seen, there's also a thread here on the same issue in French.

Samsung must know beyond doubt what the issue is and how many people have been affected. They won't admit it in order to avoid a class action or opening the floodgates to a mass exchange programme. Some of us tried a social media blitz last summer but it got nowhere. It needs someone with deep pockets to take legal action against Samsung and force them to reveal the true extent of those affected. I don't think the issue is sufficiently serious to go that far, as it's not in the same league as the exploding batteries on the Galaxy Note device a few years ago.

On the TV you bought from Currys, as you're outside the warranty period maybe the best workaround is to switch off automatic updates and buy a firestick or some other USB device to use apps?

I'm one of the lucky ones as I managed to get a refund. However, it was through John Lewis and even they put up a fight and it took me four months until the issue was resolved. The best retailer has been Richer Sounds, but as you may have read, this is largely dependent on the specific branch, and some local managers won't help at all without a big push from the customer.

F*** Samsung!

Liammmh
Journeyman
Options

I have contacted the UK CEO however my response was from the Senior Customer Services Executive and not the CEO, and they are recommending i replace the motherboard

"This matter remains under review and investigation, we have had a number of customers who have had the recurring memory message resolved through replacement of the main board. If you do decide to proceed with this, please let me know and I can make the arrangements for you."

0 Likes
Grandapa_Arf
Explorer
Options

@LiammmhI had a new motherboard 4 weeks ago as my memory was corrupt and could not install anything.  When they replaced the motherboard it fixed the memory full issue, but only left me with a few MB to install only a maximum of 4 apps.

Out of the 4 GB of RAM, approx 750MB is allocated to apps. but when the new motherboard was installed only 5% was available to install (one app was 100MB and I could not install that). The engineer tried a smart hub reset and it did not improve the storage. He was not happy with it and went back to Samsung engineers, but was told that was normal.

I am not happy with that motherboard fix. And samsung do not care, they have closed my case, saying that it is fixed. If I were you, I'd push for a replacement instead.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Grandapa_Arf wrote:

@LiammmhI had a new motherboard 4 weeks ago as my memory was corrupt and could not install anything.  When they replaced the motherboard it fixed the memory full issue, but only left me with a few MB to install only a maximum of 4 apps.

Out of the 4 GB of RAM, approx 750MB is allocated to apps. but when the new motherboard was installed only 5% was available to install (one app was 100MB and I could not install that). The engineer tried a smart hub reset and it did not improve the storage. He was not happy with it and went back to Samsung engineers, but was told that was normal.

I am not happy with that motherboard fix. And samsung do not care, they have closed my case, saying that it is fixed. If I were you, I'd push for a replacement instead.

Yes, replacing the motherboard is not a viable fix. Many users on this forum have had to go down that road on Samsung's insistence but it's a waste of time as they just put in the exact same board.

0 Likes
Vengeance72
Pioneer
Options

It's really a shame that the same motherboard is going in, you would think given Samsung's position and how they optimise their products, there would be other motherboards that can fit in, albeit you might not have all the same features, but could have more storage. I would be sceptical if it wasn't the same board (or at least the base) in the 7000 as it is in the 8000 just with increased capability. Tizen is a pretty standard across the board (no pun intended) OS.

I read something this afternoon which I need to try (may not work at all), but there is a Tizen Development Kit which allows you to be able to delete/modify/add apps to the proprietry OS. If I can get that onto a laptop, boot the TV into developer mode then either a) remove the additional unncesssary apps, or  b) identify if there is something caching, or remaining persistent in the storage which can be released. I'll keep people posted (not that I forsee this as a perm fix)

halster65
Pioneer
Options

May I get a copy also? I need as much prove forJL 

Thanks

0 Likes
Liammmh
Journeyman
Options

Latest from Samsung , it's seems I must have a repair attempt before they will proceed.

(Link to which)

"I can advise as before that Samsung as manufacturer will support through technical advice, troubleshooting and repair where required. Should we complete a physical repair (where parts are replaced) and this does not resolve, you would be within your rights as a consumer to approach Crampton and Moore as your retailer to discuss a return as we will have exhausted our right to repair. Please visit the link below and search for ‘repair or replace’ to view your rights:

If you do decide to proceed with the repair as offered, please let me know and I can make the arrangements."

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Yes, after the initial warranty period (6 months?) the manufacturer's right of repair kicks in under consumer law, which presumably is why Samsung carry out their pointless motherboard change. They could save time and their own costs by admitting straight away that they have no repair solution.

0 Likes
Vengeance72
Pioneer
Options
All the replacement of the motherboard does is mask the real problem, as it extends it out until it happens again. By their view its probably law of averages, as for every board they replace, 1 in <x> wont have it recur as it's potentially just allowing them to start from the beginning again.

For me this is RCA (Root Cause Analysis) 101, no different than any other IT Hardware Issue. I swear If I had this problem across the estate I support, people wouldn't stand for it (but I don't disagree the first port of call would be to swap out, but not repeatedly with an obvious fault).

The problem here also back to what has been said before, you go through many routes, the person at Samsung at the other end of the chain, could be different every time, hell, they may not even be in the same country or location each time as they will likely have various delivery/support centres and all they do for the mobo replacement is reroute to the nearest engineer/distribution point near you.

0 Likes