Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 28-05-2019 01:08 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Frisnit
Student
Options

@Intruder461 wrote:

I still have not got to this point yet, but I've only had the TV a couple of months. How long have you had your TV.

I've had mine for about 8 months. I'd noticed straight away that the space free was very small, but thought it might be ok as long as the apps were 5Mb or so. I also thought it was odd that there were so many apps I couldn't uninstall. I understand them pre-installing them on the TV, but it's daft not to give users the choice to remove them.

I noticed a month or so back that I couldn't install another app unless I deleted one (I only have a handful installed), then ran into the update problem as I wanted the new Apple TV app. I had to remove every app to get it, but still see the update hasn't installed issue.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Intruder461 wrote:

I certainly do not think that the 7 series has been taken off the shelves Tony as a matter of fact there are still more of that series in the shops than any other model made by Samsung last year. Most likely the ones that people have returned LOL.

Wow, that does surprise me. They're not available online as far as I know, apart from the likes of eBay or Amazon. I wonder why they're still attempting to sell the 2018 models in shops when the 2019 model is out? As you say, perhaps they have a lot of spare stock for some reason!:face-with-tears-of-joy:

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Frisnit wrote:

@Intruder461 wrote:

I still have not got to this point yet, but I've only had the TV a couple of months. How long have you had your TV.

I've had mine for about 8 months. I'd noticed straight away that the space free was very small, but thought it might be ok as long as the apps were 5Mb or so. I also thought it was odd that there were so many apps I couldn't uninstall. I understand them pre-installing them on the TV, but it's daft not to give users the choice to remove them.

I noticed a month or so back that I couldn't install another app unless I deleted one (I only have a handful installed), then ran into the update problem as I wanted the new Apple TV app. I had to remove every app to get it, but still see the update hasn't installed issue.

This is a classic example of why this issue is not just a minor annoyance. It's a fundemental flaw in what is supposedly a smart TV, which is therefore not fit for purpose.

discofizz
Explorer
Options

I've been monitoring the storage on my 43" NU7400 for the past few months & it's bizarre what it does. I have Auto Update set to on and on April 29th had 32.49MB free. I would get the usual 'automatic update not completed due to insufficient storage space' message every time I opened Apps. Yesterday, without adding any new apps this amount had gone down to 1.69MB free. This morning it was 0.00MB free. Quite what the TV is downloading I have no idea but then I noticed that the new Apple TV app was listed on the Apps page but was not installed. I was curious to see how it worked so I deleted a couple of apps - Dailymotion and UKTV Play which freed up about 15MB of space. I turned the TV off and back on and without doing anything the Apple TV app then installed itself, bringing my total free space back down to 0.00MB. As others have already noted, there's no option to delete Apple TV so yes, there's now even less space for us all to install anything on this TV! Bonkers. 

JH33
Explorer
Options

So despite returning my TV, thought I'd try Samsung live chat, to see where they stand on the issue now...

-Going back to your query, thank you for bringing this up to our attention and rest assured Samsung is well aware of the issue and the recommended troubleshooting steps to resolve and to stop the error message "insufficient memory" is to simply reset the smart hub. May I know please if you have done it already? Also, are you getting the same error message "insufficient memory"?

-Yes, that is a short term resolution that requires signing back into all of the apps each time. It is not the long term fix.

-Our Engineering team have made changes to the Smarthub server that will allow the TV to free up some available memory but then again we've made clear that "NU" TV series was designed purposely with lesser memory compared to our flagship TVs. The customer can install additional applications to a USB stick or USB HDD.

-That's interesting, as Mr Archer of the CEOs office stated that the TV should have 4GB;......... "To clarify, the TV is to specification in that it has a memory of the advertised 4GB, the error message for which you have provided evidence in your last e-mail is a separate issue that has been reported to Samsung by some customers and thus why we were wishing to clarify whether you were directly affected."

-I will pass this query with our managerial team to verify the issue

So I would urge all of you to keep contacting via the respective channels, as Samsung seem to think that it's sorted and saying it was designed that way simply closes the issue, despite that contradicting what the official statement from Mr Archer was.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Good work, and obviously that person you chatted with is straight out lying. I bet they'd be unable to produce one piece of evidence showing that the NU 7 series was advertised as having less storage than other ranges. It's also false that being able to install additional apps to a USB drive cures the problem as the built-in apps (including Apple TV) need internal storage to install and update.

0 Likes
Liammmh
Journeyman
Options

This is the reply I got from Samsung.

We recommend to perform a Smart Hub reset to refresh the Smart Hub settings including the TV's memory. It will also help to install either a USB flash drive or external hard disk drive (HDD) if in case the TV's internal memory will run out. For the meantime, please try the troubleshooting steps below:

1. Power off then unplug the TV from the mains.

2. Plug in then power the TV back on or simply reboot the TV.

3. Press the 'Home' button on the TV remote, select 'Source', and choose 'TV'.

4. Press the 'Home' button on the TV remote, select 'Settings', and choose 'Support'. Select 'About This TV' then get the complete software version code that was installed.

5. Press the 'Home' button on the TV remote, select 'Settings', and choose 'Support'. Select 'Self Diagnosis', choose 'Reset Smart Hub', and enter your 4-digit PIN (Default PIN: 0000). Finish the Smart Hub setup. After a Smarthub reset, the TV will have around 100 Mb of available memory with default installed apps which is normal.

6. Connect a USB flash drive or USB HDD to the TV's USB port.

7. Press the 'Home' button on the TV remote, select 'Apps', and check the available internal memory.

We will await for any update that you will have.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

I don't know how long you've had your TV or how much of this thread you've read, but what you pasted is standard Samsung bull***** on this issue. At least they now admit that there's only 100MB left after a reset!

That is not enough and the issue will reoccur every time there's an auto-update. Attaching a USB drive doesn't help as the built-in apps need internal storage to update. 

Resetting the smart hub is highly inconvenient as it has to be reconfigured and all credentials re-entered, plus downloading any non built-in apps again.

The 2019 version of these TVs have around 3GB of spare capacity, so 100MB is not by any means 'normal'.

Your retailer should replace your TV.

0 Likes
chumly
Journeyman
Options

Sorry for late reply - dealt with the customer services team on the phone.  They authorised the return.  The store just did a straight swap.  Interestingly when I initially spoke to the store they never heard of the issue.  When I went into the store they said this is the 3rd return they've had with the issue and then proceeded to send an email to their purchasing team to alert them of the amount of returns occuring.

0 Likes
Liammmh
Journeyman
Options

What's the use of replacing the tv like for like, if it's going to have the same low storage space. Has anyone been able to get an upgrade?

0 Likes