Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

8K Q900R. One connect box swapping HDMI 2.1

(Topic created on: 03-09-2020 11:54 PM)
dolly82
Student
Options

Have they started shipping the one connect boxes over yet from 2.0 to HDMI 2.1 ?

Cant get anything from the Indian call centre staff not one of them understands what I am asking them.

Absolutley useless for a new customer asking any questions as they do not know the products.

He kept saying on phone 60 frame per minute, then he said running in 60p -- shows you how ill informed they or on products, rang 5 different times and not one can answer my question.

does anyone who owns one of the Q900R 8Ktvs could give me an insight into them, has there been any problems, good and bad points?

be as honest as you can.

Also has anyone had the chance to see a 4k tv and an 8tv side by side and if so is the comparison noticable.?

425 REPLIES 425
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

Is there an external device I could use to see what kind of ports my One Connect Box has ? I was in touch with HDfury.com, and they talked about a device they sold which was able to make a "EDID dump", which would tell if my TV had a port that would accept 8K 60p:

All our devices can dump edid:

Integral, Integral2, Linker, Vertex1, Vertex2, Diva, Maestro, Dr.HDMI 4K

0 Likes
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

Hi, the Q950r is already with HDMI 2.1 in port 4, eArc and AV1 codec is not available,maybe sometimes in future, by the way you can buy and externald device ONLY for eArc coming October 1 via HDfury :smiling-face:

0 Likes
briski2020
Apprentice
Options

the Q950R has HDMI 2.1 in Port 1 the HD fury for eARC isnt HDMI 2.1 from what I read on their website, also in a TV to AVR with eARC system I dont see a purpose for it unless its connected before it reaches the one connect box  but then the one connect box will prob remove it, after the one connect before a  eARC AVR is pointless until there is a benefit?

0 Likes
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

Port 4 hdmi 2.1 :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Billy43
First Poster
Options

Had a Q900R 8K 75" installed Tuesday (8/18/20) by Geek Squad.  It worked that afternoon, but Wed morning, after 5 minutes on, screen went black, and it began cycling off and on, over and over.  I can't even turn it off w/ remote or frame mounted control.  Had to unplug the one-connect box. Several times reconnected power and same cycling on and off.  Geek Sq repairman said to return it, but I can't get Best Buy manager to return my call! Will the any-minute-now, HDMI 2.1 One-Connect box swap out on this 2019 Q900R 8K?

0 Likes
briski2020
Apprentice
Options

I been told its port 1 in the UK here :smiling-face:

0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

Just a quick follow up about the "Samsung Q900 Series" option on AirPlay that is now working, without having to go through Apple TV or any other separate device, but all directly to my Q900R TV !

Skjermbilde 2020-08-21 kl. 17.42.59.png Skjermbilde 2020-08-21 kl. 18.47.56.png
Skjermbilde 2020-08-21 kl. 17.47.24.png 

It was not connecting up to recently, even though the option showed up, but I have updated my router and internet connection speed, and I am now able to use it now ! I am considering making a separate post tread, as this means I am also able to stream Vimeo videos directly from my MacBook Pro when I am streaming videos from their website... What is strange is that the website video player on the Vimeo website shows the 8K option, even though it will of course not work properly on my MacBook screen (it will buffer with a few seconds play, freeze the picture, then jump forward and play a few seconds, freeze again, etc.) - however, the video runs smoothly on my Q900R Samsung TV-screen, but I do question the 8K resolution on the screen as it does not look that detailed (and I am not able to view any stats and file info, which Tom99 got when he did the New York video on his USB memory stick). The screamed player that shows on the TV screen does not have any other options than play, pause, stop and the fast forwards and backward... 

Now, I have been told that so far AirPlay can only do max 1080p. So that might explain why the 8K videos on Vimeo are not streaming in 8K on my TV-screen - so I am hoping there will be an upgrade in the resolution in the next AirPlay update.

tom99
Voyager
Options

congratulations that you got it finally working! 8K via airplay would be great. Let’s hope for Apple, there are rumors that a new Apple TV would come out this year. Perhaps it supports 8K and also includes airplay with 8K 😉

GQ65Q800T
chroman
Apprentice
Options

Not sure if someone is still figuring out if the 2019 Model supports HDMI. I did a EDID dump and here are my findings, I currently have the QLED82Q900RB (82" 2019) model:

One Connect Box (Original): SOC1007R
TV Firmware model: 1361

It looks like the 2019 model indeed supports HDMI 2.1 but only with 40Gbps bandwidth. This pretty much matches what the official manual specifies.

Here are the EDID findings:

TAG=3, Length=10, OUI=D85DC4
Version=1
SCDC Present=Yes, RR Capable=No, CCBPI=No
LTE 340M Scramble=No, Dual View=No, Independent View=No, 3D OSD Disparity=No
DC 48bit 420=No, DC 36bit 420=No, DC 30bit 420=Yes
Mdelta=No, Cinema VRR=No, CNMVRR=No, FVA=No, ALLM=Yes, FAPA Start Location=No
DSC_1p2=No, DSC_Native_420=No
DSC_All_bpp=No, DSC_16bpc=No, DSC_12bpc=No, DSC_10bpc=No
Max TMDS Character Rate = 600 MHz
Max Variable Refresh Rate = 120 Hz
Min Variable Refresh Rate = 48 Hz
Max FRL Rate = 5 3 & 6 Gbps on (0,1,2), 6, 8 & 10 Gbps on (0,1,2,3) per lane
DSC Max Slices = 0 VESA DSC 1.2a is not supported
DSC Max FRL Slices = 0 no support for Compressed Video Transport
DSC Total Chunk kBytes = 0

Based on FRL speeds, it supports 10 Gbps on 0,1,2,3 lanes, that means 40Gbps total (10Gbps per lane x 4), that's the same bandwidth for 2020 LG models for example.

Unfortunately it does not support VESA DSC 1.2.

So in order to play 8K content using HDMI 2.1, TV is limited to 7680x4320 @ 60Hz 8-bit 4:2:0 which is 32.768Gbps, so without DSC, TV can't go higher.

This matches what the 2019 manual says: https://imgur.com/a/Q7X7Aq5

Here are the screenshots using the EDID binary reader (in case you're curious):

https://imgur.com/H2T1ZEG

Note:

Based on the manual seems that the 2020 models higher than the Q700T support the HDMI 2.1 bandwidth (48Gbps) and they seem to support DSC as well, allowing  8K (7680x4320) @ 60Hz 10-bit RGB/YCbCr 4:4:4. https://imgur.com/a/EwhJJ95 

I uploaded the full EDID dump and the report if anyone if curious: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LnROgRc0GvIBf-uutcRqDQKxuLusSicE

Not sure if the 40Gbps limit and DSC can be fixed in a One Box Connect revision later in the future. I'll ask Samsung

TLDR: Based on my findings, 2019 supports HDMI 2.1 but with limited Bandwidth (40Gbps only).

Regards,
Christian

chroman
Apprentice
Options

I forgot to mention that mine is the 2019 model, I believe in the USA it's called Q900RB, Europe is Q950R, not really sure actually.